ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup

anyone care/watching?

no-no-no-no.gif

First time I’ve cared in 8 years. Took US to win today and over 3.5 total goals for the US to score in the World Cup.

I don't follow soccer but a heck of a lot of people around me do. I have little doubt the sports bars around here are hopping this week.

World Cup is awesome also outside of the Olympics the only sporting event that the national anthem should be played

Soccer is fun to play because it has that easy to get started, but very difficult to master thing.

It is boring as hell to watch because of all the rules in place that limit what is by far the most exciting aspect of the game: shots on goal. It is like watching basketball with a 100 yard long court and baskets 50 feet in the air.

Ive tried. Cant get into it. Just dont see the appeal. It moves so slowly. Im sure I dont get all the nuances. Is that purple haired broad still playing?
Yah, watching women’s soccer is like watching a boys HS team (U-16 boys are able to beat one of the top girls sides in the world). They don’t have anywhere near the physical chops or technical ability of the men’s game. Might as well judge major league baseball by watching girls softball.

Also, the world cup is some of the worse soccer. It is like a team full of all stars that play a few times a year, then join a tournament for a few weeks. The talent gap between seriously good sides and average or crap sides like USA is severe.

Top tier league play and european competitions like Champions League is another level.

Hey King _Kong watching Creighton playing basketball in Maui..

Much. More entertaining..
Good tournament in Maui. I’m watching San Diego State get screwed blind by three officials who either have money on Ohio State or they just love the taste of Chris Holtmann’s ass crack.

Reactions: king_kong_
Yah, watching women’s soccer is like watching a boys HS team (U-16 boys are able to beat one of the top girls sides in the world). They don’t have anywhere near the physical chops or technical ability of the men’s game. Might as well judge major league baseball by watching girls softball.

Also, the world cup is some of the worse soccer. It is like a team full of all stars that play a few times a year, then join a tournament for a few weeks. The talent gap between seriously good sides and average or crap sides like USA is severe.

Top tier league play and european competitions like Champions League is another level.
Interesting. I would have figured this was the best of the best. Ive heard from friends who are fans that it is much better in person ( like hockey or nascar). Is that true?
And I pay so little attention I didnt know this was mens soccer going on.

Interesting. I would have figured this was the best of the best. Ive heard from friends who are fans that it is much better in person ( like hockey or nascar). Is that true?
A few years ago went to a match at Manchester United and then the next day at Wolverhampton. It was pretty cool in person. Wolverhampton was a blast. The way they separated the visiting fans and I ly allowing them in certain entry places was different. The scene at the train station after was mayhem but cool. I've never played but love atmospheres like that regardless of the sport.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
Much much better in person. Very engaged fan bases. Lots or singing, chanting. They make up lyrics to songs and direct them at the other fanbase or player.

No, the world cup is not the best of the best. It is teams severely overmatched playing better sides. So they play defensively, bend-don’t-break. Or good sides playing each othere not to lose so they grind out draws. Win is 3 points, draw is one point, lose is 0. Goal difference is also important, so you try to score as much as possible or concede the least, even if you are losing.

Best of all, there are no freaking commercials 😁

Ive tried. Cant get into it. Just dont see the appeal. It moves so slowly. Im sure I dont get all the nuances. Is that purple haired broad still playing?
Agree. Wish I didn’t put money on it because now I’ll be glued to a bunch of guys that fall down more than girls high school basketball. Being tied and playing for a tie is so weird to me.

It is soooooo boring. It is sort of fun at the bars with friends when it is packed but that is just the excuse to hit the bars up early in the day.

It would be better if US soccer fans had not decided to become a cult and freak out on "non-believers"

Pulisic living up to his hype

assisted on our first goal now pounds one in to take the lead vs Iran

USA win and we're through to the tournament
I'm watching the match, all I can say his holy shit the stereotype of soccer players being the biggest flopping fake injury divas on the planet is NOT exaggerated! My gawd get up and play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT