ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who’s has luck buying online suits?

sloth316

Senior
Jun 24, 2002
Looking at Indochino specifically...great price points but unsure of the quality...get a lot of airtime on a few of the podcasts I listen to

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Never bought a suit online, only in the store.. 20 years ago, they would mark it up while you had it on so that it could be tailored.. not just the pants, but the jacket as well. I suppose you could still have that done somewhere, but the old suit shops (like Jerry Ryan) have gone the way of the do do bird.. let us know how it turns out.

How much are you looking to spend. Went to Men’s Warehouse in Lincoln last weekend and got a tailored suit for $475. I haven’t bought a suit in a long time so I have no idea if we that was a good price or not. Haha.

Looking at Indochino specifically...great price points but unsure of the quality...get a lot of airtime on a few of the podcasts I listen to

Try Macy's.com. Nice suits are on sale, all the time. Well-known brands, etc. Calvin Klein and Perry Ellis run a little smaller. I have found the Ralph Lauren and Kenneth Cole more true to size. Have always been able to find nice suits under 150 delivered.

Reactions: otismotis08
Joseph A Bank has some nice suits available online. Their regular prices are crazy high but it’s not unusual to find stuff 70% or more off.

I’m reluctant to buy pants online unless I know the brand well, because I need a bit of “extra space” in the butt and thighs. If I buy 33 waist pants and they’re the slender cut, I’ll never get them on.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Never bought suits online. Is that going to be like women’s buying wedding dresses online where it’s 3 sizes off with no refund policy? LOL

As for suits and where to buy it’s one of those it depends answers. I’m a Gary Michaels fan myself. Pay a premium, but it’s tailored to you and good selection. Always get compliments on their suits, fit, etc. And no I don’t work nor get a commission from them!

Try Hong Kong. If you have about 7 or 8 days, do your research on Tripadvisor.com or Google, and avoid the hawkers on the street, you can get a nice custom suit for a nice price, plus you get to hang out in Hong Kong. Neat place. If you time it well one can find round trip tickets from LAX or SFO under $800. Sometimes under $700.

I used to get some great suits at Dillard's. They used to have suit sales once or twice a year, and had some great deals. I would get Hart, Schaffner, and Marx suits for half price sometimes, at $250 - 300. This was in the 90s. Not sure if they still do the sales or not. Have bought suits elsewhere since, but they were never as good as Hart, Schaffner, and Marx suits.

Just looked and they now sell for $700 a suit. Not sure of the quality now, but they used to make some of the best suits. Not at the level of Hickey Freeman, but still very good.

I hear these are coming back in style:

01550b-black-and-white-zoot-suit-costume-large.jpg

Have never purchased from Indochino, but have considered in the past. Have heard great reviews for them. The fact that they will reimburse you for local tailoring if you don't live near a showroom is pretty sweet as well.

Could you edit the title? I feel like I'm losing IQ points every time I read it and I don't have that many left.

I’ve ad great luck on-line with Macy’s and menswear house. Just know your size and spend the $30 tohave it tailored. If you don’t know your size go to men’s wearhouse and have them measure you. Check out both sites for previous years clearance suits. Both are easily returnable with free postage. Wool suits will last the longest. I’ve purchased several from both with zero issues.

As for wedding suits, I think it's important to make sure you get the right fit and style for the occasion. It's a special day and you want to look your best!

I'm new to this forum and stumbled upon your post about buying suits online. I can totally relate to your dilemma - it's hard to know whether the price points are worth the quality. I haven't personally tried Indochino, but I have purchased suits online before and had decent experiences. It really depends on the retailer and the specific suit you're looking at. I also came across a site that has some interesting costume designs. You might find it useful https://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/wedding-tuxedos/. I've found that reading reviews can be really helpful in making a decision.

Last edited:
It’s not difficult to measure a suit, if you already have one you like, lay it, flat on the table, and measure the chest, shoulders, arm length and waist. With the pants, measure the waist, hips, rise, and inseam. Plenty of videos on YouTube will show you how to do this.

As for wedding suits, I think it's important to make sure you get the right fit and style for the occasion. It's a special day and you want to look your best!
Exactly, because everyday after the wedding you are going to be miserable or at best, fake happy.

• Haha
Reactions: tpmcg
Joseph A Bank has some nice suits available online. Their regular prices are crazy high but it’s not unusual to find stuff 70% or more off.

I’m reluctant to buy pants online unless I know the brand well, because I need a bit of “extra space” in the butt and thighs. If I buy 33 waist pants and they’re the slender cut, I’ll never get them on.
Remember the buy 1 get 3 free ads they used to run on suits? Pretty much assured even the dumbest shoppers could figure out how inflated their prices were.

I'm new to this forum and stumbled upon your post about buying suits online. I can totally relate to your dilemma - it's hard to know whether the price points are worth the quality. I haven't personally tried Indochino, but I have purchased suits online before and had decent experiences.
LOL at the "n00bs" who resurrected a four-year-old thread. I supposed they tried to insert a link. 😂

Aren't they out of biznass now
Joseph A Bank is still around - they just closed a lot of their stores. They offer some pretty good stuff online, provided it's marked way, way down. I would never buy anything there at regular price.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
I've been lucky enough to buy suits online, and Indochino is worth considering. While I can't vouch for every brand, I have heard positive reviews about their quality and prices. Just be sure to check their size guide and reviews carefully to ensure they are a good fit.

Getting a suit is something you should do in person. And never without a tailor. At least for me. I love the whole experience.

I've been lucky enough to buy suits online, and Indochino is worth considering. While I can't vouch for every brand, I have heard positive reviews about their quality and prices. Just be sure to check their size guide and reviews carefully to ensure they are a good fit.
annnnnnd another bot

ADVERTISEMENT