ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What song is stuck in your head right now?

On the flip side, I will have no trouble forgetting it as soon as I close this :) But I like the Oak Ridge Boys, so what do I know?

Catch50, that's just cruel, I knew you posted it as a joke, but I had to hear the joke for myself. Damn you.

Til I Die
--Beach Boys

I'm on a Brian Wilson kick right now. Such genius.

Til I Die
--Beach Boys

A guy from the Colorado Music HOF was on a talk show the other day and said after Buddy Holly died and people were listening to the Beach Boys people were lamenting "look what has happened to music"

Little did they know!

Surfs up.. Genius album
Absolutely. I didn't expect to get any traction here with the greatness of The Beach Boys. I prefer The Smile Sessions version of the song Surfs Up, but this album, along with Sunflower, 20/20, Today!, and Friends all have some real hidden gems that most folks don't even know exist.

I've been listening to Van Halen, Best of Both Worlds.

I never tire of that song. I saw them twice that year. Caught bassist Michael Anthony's Dallas Cowboys cutoff jersey after the encore at the Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth. 4th row! And I saw them @ the Cotton Bowl w/70+k in attendance.

Funny, for the first time in probably 20+ years, I was just listening to "English Settlement" today. Although I like XTC's rendition much better, it's pretty cool to see Mandy Moore doing that song. Ryan Adams must be a much better influence than I thought.

Til I Die
--Beach Boys

I think 'Pet Sounds' is still considered the 2nd best album of all time on the Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums of All Time list. Although I wouldn't have it that high on a Top 10 album list for me, "God Only Knows" is one of the most beautiful and memorable melodies to ever be written. I actually like a lot of the slower Beach Boys songs vs their faster stuff. "In My Room," "Don't Worry Baby," and "Surfer Girl" are 3 Beach Boys songs I love , with "God Only Knows" being my all-time favorite.

I'm trying to think how the history went exactly, but the Beatles and Brian Wilson were in sort of a friendly rivalry, because they loved each other's music. If I remember correctly, "Pet Sounds" was Brian Wilson's response to the Beatles' "Rubber Soul." In turn, when the Beatles heard Pet Sounds, they were creatively motivated to 'one-up' The Beach Boys. The result was "Seargent Peppers."

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
I think 'Pet Sounds' is still considered the 2nd best album of all time on the Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums of All Time list. Although I wouldn't have it that high on a Top 10 album list for me, "God Only Knows" is one of the most beautiful and memorable melodies to ever be written. I actually like a lot of the slower Beach Boys songs vs their faster stuff. "In My Room," "Don't Worry Baby," and "Surfer Girl" are 3 Beach Boys songs I love , with "God Only Knows" being my all-time favorite.

I'm trying to think how the history went exactly, but the Beatles and Brian Wilson were in sort of a friendly rivalry, because they loved each other's music. If I remember correctly, "Pet Sounds" was Brian Wilson's response to the Beatles' "Rubber Soul." In turn, when the Beatles heard Pet Sounds, they were creatively motivated to 'one-up' The Beach Boys. The result was "Seargent Peppers."

Yeah, that was exactly the path from Soul, to Pet Sounds, to Sgt Pepper. The Smile album should have been next for the Beach Boys, but the history of that (incredible) album is well documented. The work from that Smile album was not up to the greatness of Pet Sounds, but it was pretty damn close. Its too bad Brian didnt finish it and give it a proper release. "Heroes and Villains" and "Surfs Up" are 2 of my favorite Beach Boys tracks.

Im with you when it comes to the Beach Boys sound. I prefer their slower stuff as well. You just listed some of my favorite Beach Boy songs with "Dont Worry Baby" being the favorite of my group. "God Only Knows" is the single greatest Rock/Pop song ever created. What amazed me through my listening to the rest of the Beach Boys catalog that isnt mainstream, is that there is some really great stuff that very few know or recognize. "Til I die", "Surfs Up", "Forever", "Never Learn Not to Love" (A Charles Mansion creation), "Disney Girls", "Cabinessence", "Vegetables", and many others. Lotta great stuff that doesnt have anything to do with a beach or car.

Its too bad he destroyed his voice in the early 70s with the drugs and chain smoking, because, along with his writing and production skills, Brian's vocals were absolutely incredible.

Im going to see Brian Wilson in concert in a couple of months here in Chicago. His solo stuff hasnt been great, but from looking at his set lists, most of what his band plays is from his Beach Boys catalog.

My own damm fault for checking NETV on a Saturday night and finding the Lawrence Welk Show. Got in my head before I could change the channel.

Well, after reading the response to one of my posts in another thread, it's Elton John's "The Bitch is Back" that's stuck in my mind. I'm going to play some Wishbone Ash now to get it out.

That's another guitar player covering the song. Yngwie noodles and prances too much in the versions with him playing it on youtube. ;)

OK, I knew I was in about 8th or 9th grade at the time and I'm 50 now. I thought maybe Ponce de Leon really did find the Fountain of Youth and took the name of Yngwie Mamlsteen.

Most days I have my 15 month old boys' cartoon songs stuck in my head all day. Usually Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Paw Patrol.

Milkshakes

Jogging with the wifes ipod when I hear.....my milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like....it's better than yours.....damn right it's better than yours...

Your welcome

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT