ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are you listening to right now?

I've seen a lot of bands play, but my number one regret is not seeing SRV play live. Nothing I can do about now. It's been said that Hendrix made love to the guitar. I think that SRV was at one with the guitar. Amazing how he pours his soul into his music.

Apparently it doesn’t exist on Youtube, but Jimi’s rendition of “Born Under a Bad Sign” on Blues album is one of my all time favorite, deeply soulful guitar performances.

Reactions: bigboxes
Loverboy
Put Your Hands In The Air
April 2, 1982
Bob Devaney Sports Center
Lincoln, NE

1. Jump
2. Teenage Overdose
3. Lady Of The 80's
4. Lucky Ones
5. It's Your Life
6. Take Me To The Top
7. Working For The Weekend
8. When It's Over
9. Gangs In The Street
10. D.O.A.
11. Turn Me Loose
12. The Kid Is Hot Tonight

Reactions: huskerfan66
I've seen a lot of bands play, but my number one regret is not seeing SRV play live. Nothing I can do about now. It's been said that Hendrix made love to the guitar. I think that SRV was at one with the guitar. Amazing how he pours his soul into his music.

Agree 100% with you.

First time I heard of him was during a broadcast of the Montreux Jazz Festival. My dad was a fan of Jazz music and when I found the festival shown on TV, I tuned in the channel for my dad. Left my dad by himself, so he could enjoy his beloved music, and went about doing other things. A little while later I hear this great guitar solo, so run to the living room to see who the dude with the magical fingers was, and, of course, it was SRV. Stayed for the duration of his set.

Second time was during one of his appearances in Austin City Limits. This time I was watching the performance with my older brother; both with our eyes glued to the TV set. A few minutes into the show, my mom casually walks by and asks who is that playing. She just sat down, and it was just 3 people mesmerized by SRV's guitar playing; absolutely jaw dropping (his fingers were moving so fast on the fretboard that it almost looked like he wasn't even touching the strings). Mind you that mom is not a fan of blues, or heavy music; she was more into classical music and oldies rock (Elvis, et al).

Sadly, never got the chance to attend one of his concerts.

My dad was a fan of jazz, blues and country music. So, in his honor (and since it's Father's Day), I'll post some of his favorite music.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT