ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We interrupt fall camp for this special announcement (SpaceX)

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
So...it's here. It actually came out last week but I've been busy and also wanted to take plenty of time digesting it. It's by far the longest of the series...basically the Tesla piece x5. Please don't let that deter you from reading it...it's a VERY VERY good read.

The "Wait But Why" SpaceX article, the 3rd of a 4 part series on Elon Musk (Part 1, Part 2) <--- links

Tesla = game changing once in a lifetime effort to change the way humans travel on the ground that is insane to try and possibly only a handful of people could actually pull it off.

SpaceX = An effort 4,000,000x more ambitious than Tesla (my rough estimate) to put 1,000,000 humans on Mars.

Doing both = ridiculous

The highlights:

1) Why do we want to put people on Mars?
2) How do we build rockets better?
3) How do we make it really cheap to do space travel with new technology (he's gotten pretty good at this already and is well on his way)
4) Put people on Mars
5) Build it large enough to sustain itself and eventually terraform

I've said it before, but I believe Musk to be one of the smartest men in history and he will go down with the legends (maybe as THE legend) because not only does he possess the intellect, but he also has the ambition and ability to make it real life and he's willing to bet his fortune on it....repeatedly.

If I had to bet on Musk with straight odds getting 1,000,000 people to Mars, I'd probably bet against him. But if I had to bet on anyone to do it, it would be him.

If you're like me, you're probably thinking, "But his last rocket just exploded!". Yes, yes it did. But, if you look at his track record, he's successfully launched 20 out of his 24 tries. A winning percentage no other space program can even come close to. And, he does it for around 1/3 the cost of anyone else. He has built it better, faster, cheaper than any other organization. SpaceX is the only private company to ever send something up to ISS. It's the only private company with any sort of continual launch record success. He's so very close at getting the reusable rocket to work. It is THE company who has the best chance of ever getting someone on Mars, period. (IMO)

Anyway....I'm a fan boy. I get it. But sometimes in life it's good to believe in something bigger. :)

I hope you read it and enjoy. I know I did. I'm guessing because of how long the post is, it's unlikely I'll get many replies but I'm going to bump this a few times so people get a chance to read it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.