ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vitamin D

NikkiSixx

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 14, 2013
FYI, If you are at increased risk for the virus, make sure you are taking a Vitamin D supplement. A bunch of research is blowing up online that a large percentage of fatalities were also vit D insufficient / deficient.

I don't believe it has any effect after you have been exposed, rather having good levels before exposure seem to help prevent cytokine storms from occurring in the lungs, which is where things all start to go down hill.

no further message.

over 99% of covid deaths around the world were vitamin D deficient.

get outside, take a supplement, take a multi-vitamin, drink water, get enough sleep and reduce stress.

all things are known to improve immune systems. nobody who 'cares' about you will talk about it.

causation or correlation?
There are 2 forms of Vitamin D that they can test for. Inactive form vs active form of vitamin D.
Common blood tests for inactive form, I wish we tested for both.
Get sun over supplements. High dose supplements can be immuno-suppressive, which would help with cytokine storm I suppose.

causation or correlation?
There are 2 forms of Vitamin D that they can test for. Inactive form vs active form of vitamin D.
Common blood tests for inactive form, I wish we tested for both.
Get sun over supplements. High dose supplements can be immuno-suppressive, which would help with cytokine storm I suppose.
this post is dangerously ignorant. 10,000 IU/day is needed to achieve anything close to vitamin D toxicity. good luck getting there with a one-a-day supplement.

take 4,000 IU/per day and get outside. don't listen to idiots.

Reactions: bluenrg
FYI, If you are at increased risk for the virus, make sure you are taking a Vitamin D supplement. A bunch of research is blowing up online that a large percentage of fatalities were also vit D insufficient / deficient.

I don't believe it has any effect after you have been exposed, rather having good levels before exposure seem to help prevent cytokine storms from occurring in the lungs, which is where things all start to go down hill.

no further message.

i was also reading (can’t remember research article) where they think we are inching closer to herd immunity percentages- I’m sure dinglefritz can elaborate or refute

this post is dangerously ignorant. 10,000 IU/day is needed to achieve anything close to vitamin D toxicity. good luck getting there with a one-a-day supplement.

Understandable because it’s the summer time, but in the winter when we aren’t outside enough it’s a must to take a supplement especially for elderly people..

no further message.
100% agree. We have school age young kids. They were always getting sick. Our son would mis 8-10 days of school a year. 2 years ago we changed pediatricians. One of the 1st things she did was have our kids get on vitamin D. My son went from missing 8-10 day to missing 3 days total the last 2 years. My wife and I also started taking it about that time and neither one of us has even had a cold the last 2 years.
Going back to the Covid. My wife, who has been as ICU nurse for 15 years said way back in March that Docs should be checking the vitamin D levels of patients who are getting very ill, bet their Vitamin D is very low.
We are species who was meant to be outside in the sun for most of the day. This is how we use to get vitamin D. With everyone spending most of their days inside most aren't getting enough Vitamin D from the Sun. We have our kids age 5 and 8 on 1,000mg a day, 11 year old on 2000 mg a day. My wife and I take 4,000. This is mainly during the winter months. We don't take that or cut it in half during summer as we are outside all the time.

Last edited:

people who live in hot sunny regions year round max out at 30 ng/mL. Only way to increase it to "therapeutic" levels is supplementation.
Vitamin D is a seco-steroid. Let your body do the conversion. It's a hormone, not just a vitamin.

Reactions: bluenrg

That’s actually not correct. 10,000 IU is fine. You have to take 60,000 IU or more a day for months to start have toxicity.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
When it comes to Vitamin D, there are two forms, 25 D and 1-25 D.

25 D is the inactive form and is the one most of us get tested.

1-25 D is the active form and is the form that interacts with the vitamin D receptor.

They act like a see-saw. When needed, the inactive is converted to the active version. Infections can do this.

So, if you have an infection or a heightened immune response for some reason, the generic vitamin D test may show that you have low levels of vitamin D on the blood test, namely the inactive form, because some was converted to the active form in an attempt to boost the immune response.

Prob drink 1/2 gallon Whole milk a day, in the sun a lot. Wife does 5000IU per day, I will add that as well.

You know if you go outside with your shirt off your body makes over 20k units in 30 minutes. It's almost impossible to overdose on Vit D!

If you're not good looking you may be told to put your shirt on LOL.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
When it comes to Vitamin D, there are two forms, 25 D and 1-25 D.

25 D is the inactive form and is the one most of us get tested.

1-25 D is the active form and is the form that interacts with the vitamin D receptor.

They act like a see-saw. When needed, the inactive is converted to the active version. Infections can do this.

So, if you have an infection or a heightened immune response for some reason, the generic vitamin D test may show that you have low levels of vitamin D on the blood test, namely the inactive form, because some was converted to the active form in an attempt to boost the immune response.

You sound very knowledgeable, but I know how to Google and I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I'm going to argue with you.

Signed,
Typical Message Board/Twitter Jackass

No idea as to its validity but her doctor told my cousin that she should be taking Vitamin D and a Zinc supplement to protect against the coronavirus. So that is FWIW.
We are "The Beef State." Beef is loaded in zinc and vitamin B12. ZINC from supplements or plant based isn't readily available like zinc from red meat. Full disclosure, I do take zinc supplements for other benefits.

I've got a daughter-in-law who is a PA. She said the only vitamin we should take is vitamin D. All our food is fortified now so multi-vitamins aren't necessary. As some of us try to avoid the sun to prevent skin cancer, vitamin D supplements are a must. Good post Nikki.
Vitamin C improves WBC chemotaxis and phagocytosis. Most people do NOT get enough Vitamin C through whatever fortified foods they're eating and they don't eat enough fruits and C containing vegetables. Drink a glass of OJ every day or find another substitute that your guts can tolerate. Eat some red meat to get some Zinc. Vitamin D is available by spending some time in direct sunlight every day. It's good for your mental state as well.

Last edited:
No idea as to its validity but her doctor told my cousin that she should be taking Vitamin D and a Zinc supplement to protect against the coronavirus. So that is FWIW.
It can't hurt. Vitamins C and D and then Zinc are all important for proper immune function.

i was also reading (can’t remember research article) where they think we are inching closer to herd immunity percentages- I’m sure dinglefritz can elaborate or refute
I don't think we've done enough serology to determine that. Some neighborhoods in hard hit areas appear to be there. The Bronx is one. That doesn't mean that nobody would get COVID in the Bronx though. IMO, we're a long long ways away from population immunity as a nation. Many rural states have virtually nothing for cases. One story coming out of Oxford Medical College in the UK though has one professor saying that he thinks that we don't have to get anywhere near the 60-70% exposure level to have a population immunity. He was talking 20%. Who knows. I suspect even if we get to that 60% point even through natural or vaccinal immunity that this thing will keep poking its ugly head up from time to time in hot spots.

Zinc stops replication of the virus, getting inside the cell is the challenge and Hydroxychloroquine is what opens a pathway into the cell.
I saw this on MedCram in early March. So taking Zinc alone doesn't stop the virus since the virus replicates insides your cells.

ADVERTISEMENT