ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vintage Stereo Equipment, what have you got?

Some of the old 70's, 80's equipment are making a comeback, anyone have some old stuff that's still un use?

I have, don't laugh, a mint condition Realistic receiver (STA-95, built in JAPAN in 1979). Now before you look down on it, Realistic actually had receivers that kept pace with Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui. They didn't surpass them, but they were solid runners up, the one I picked up from a guy was used for ONE MONTH! His dad bought it, along with a pair of Optimus Tower speakers, got divorced and boxed them up for a 3-1/2 decades. Again, a very good speaker, not a mark or ding on them, perfect condition.

Also have an Akai cassette deck with the old VU meters, in great shape, an early 80's Sony Turntable, and another pair of speakers, LTV University Medallion "monitors," good sounding for the age.

I wouldn't mind getting a higher up Marantz or Sansui, but some of the top end units cost an arm and a leg. What you got?
Yamaha CR-620 in the shop

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
I’ve gotten rid of most of my vintage stuff. I still have a Mitsubishi DA-A15 power amp set-up with some newer audiophile equipment. I also have a pair of ADS L520’s in the garage. Kind of odd-ball brands but the Mitsubishi amp is a beast and the speakers, although most haven’t heard of ADS, are truly special.

Love old school 2 channel setups...current mid-fi system

Music Hall MMF 2.3 turntable (not vintage)
Adcom GFP 750 preamp
Adcom GFA 555 amp
Carver M-1.0t amp
Denon DVD-5900
Polk SDA-SRS 2.3 speakers

Yamaha CR-620 in the shop

I love the Yamaha's. I have a CR-2020 powering my basement system, a CR-1020 in the bedroom system and and CR-2040 in the music room.

August, 2015 was what I call the month of Yamaha for me. In thrifts in Colorado Springs I found the CR-1020, a CR-840, a CR-620, and a CR-600. All working well and in excellent physical condition except for the 620, that was a little beat.

Reactions: rcnut223
Pretty sure I have over 400 vinyl etc. Even more if you can 45s

I found out the definition of "fun" when I had to move my collection from Colorado Springs to Lincoln. At the time I had 14,288 LP's, just under 2,000 CD's, cassettes and, yes, 8 tracks. I have a 1968 AMX with the original AM radio/8-track so have to have something to play.

I found out the definition of "fun" when I had to move my collection from Colorado Springs to Lincoln. At the time I had 14,288 LP's, just under 2,000 CD's, cassettes and, yes, 8 tracks. I have a 1968 AMX with the original AM radio/8-track so have to have something to play.
That's a lot of vinyl. I used to have about 1000 or so and sold a bunch in the 90s. Was down to about 300 for the last 20 years. Bought about 300 since summer. Mostly from friends unloading what they have. Got some good deals. Records and vintage equipment are expensive these days. Trying to locate a decent older turntable cheap is getting hard. I threw away my Pioneer pl516 15 years ago because the speed control was screwed up. Probably an easy fix. Now people want a lot of money for them. Threw out a Luxman amp too that had issues.

That's a lot of vinyl. I used to have about 1000 or so and sold a bunch in the 90s. Was down to about 300 for the last 20 years. Bought about 300 since summer. Mostly from friends unloading what they have. Got some good deals. Records and vintage equipment are expensive these days. Trying to locate a decent older turntable cheap is getting hard. I threw away my Pioneer pl516 15 years ago because the speed control was screwed up. Probably an easy fix. Now people want a lot of money for them. Threw out a Luxman amp too that had issues.

I've been collecting seriously since the early 1980's. The thrifts in Colorado Springs used to be great for records and old equipment. Being a heavily military town you would find all sorts of foreign LP's. I remember going into a Goodwill one day, back when the LP's were .50. They had just put out a collection of 60's and early 70's English rock. I got stuff like all of the Rolling Stones LP's in both mono and stereo up until Exile on Main Street, Marianne Faithful's catalog, most of the Dave Clark Five's catalog on Epic, etc. I spent about $68 and came out with over 120 LP's.

I've also got all sorts of great equipment in thrifts, like a Pioneer SX-1080 for $60 and a Teac Z-5000 cassette deck, the Dragon killer, that retailed at $1,000, for $25. I agree about the TT's now. But back in the day I bought a Pioneer PL-570 for $35, a PL-71 for $18, 2 PL-115's for $20 each. Then there was the Mitsubishi LT-22 with a Grado Gold cartridge for $25. But the equipment availability at the thrifts dried up around 2016.

I've been collecting seriously since the early 1980's. The thrifts in Colorado Springs used to be great for records and old equipment. Being a heavily military town you would find all sorts of foreign LP's. I remember going into a Goodwill one day, back when the LP's were .50. They had just put out a collection of 60's and early 70's English rock. I got stuff like all of the Rolling Stones LP's in both mono and stereo up until Exile on Main Street, Marianne Faithful's catalog, most of the Dave Clark Five's catalog on Epic, etc. I spent about $68 and came out with over 120 LP's.

I've also got all sorts of great equipment in thrifts, like a Pioneer SX-1080 for $60 and a Teac Z-5000 cassette deck, the Dragon killer, that retailed at $1,000, for $25. I agree about the TT's now. But back in the day I bought a Pioneer PL-570 for $35, a PL-71 for $18, 2 PL-115's for $20 each. Then there was the Mitsubishi LT-22 with a Grado Gold cartridge for $25. But the equipment availability at the thrifts dried up around 2016.

If you are in the Omaha/Lincoln area and are ever looking to unload some records or equipment I would be interested.

I had a friend in college, a rich kid who had a nice stereo. He had one wall covered with a rack and must have had 500 albums. I'd go over and we would have a cocktail before we headed down to the bars in Lincoln. He would get our drinks then stand in front of his albums for a minute and every time pick Rolling Stones, Some Girls. We must have done that 50 times and it was his only album I ever heard.

• Haha
I may be looking to unload some LP's in the future. I'll keep you in mind.
I had a few nice Goodwill finds in Omaha recently. Very clean SX-780 for $25. Works great. A beautiful Yamaha M-60 power amp for $20. Looks new. A pretty nice condition Garrard DD-75 turntable for $25. Needed minor adjusting but working great. Had been looking for a vintage receiver and turntable. Will probably sell the Yamaha.

Reactions: bigboxes
The only thing I have that is vintage is a Bang and Olufsen CD player from 1985. All metal parts made in Denmark. All the caps and stuff has been refurbished so it should go for another forty years.

What was the name of the stereo store that used to be in the Westroads in the mid-late 70s? They always ran radio commercials featuring Pat Kirowishi (general manager). I bought several pieces of equipment there. World Radio??? Anyone?

Reactions: Chief Turkeyscratch
My main stereo speakers are 40+ year old Advents, passed down from my older brother. I had the woofers repacked many years ago and they still work great. We had cats that ripped the vintage tan burlap grilles and the black mesh replacements don't look as cool. ;)

Some of the old 70's, 80's equipment are making a comeback, anyone have some old stuff that's still un use?

I have, don't laugh, a mint condition Realistic receiver (STA-95, built in JAPAN in 1979). Now before you look down on it, Realistic actually had receivers that kept pace with Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui. They didn't surpass them, but they were solid runners up, the one I picked up from a guy was used for ONE MONTH! His dad bought it, along with a pair of Optimus Tower speakers, got divorced and boxed them up for a 3-1/2 decades. Again, a very good speaker, not a mark or ding on them, perfect condition.

Also have an Akai cassette deck with the old VU meters, in great shape, an early 80's Sony Turntable, and another pair of speakers, LTV University Medallion "monitors," good sounding for the age.

I wouldn't mind getting a higher up Marantz or Sansui, but some of the top end units cost an arm and a leg. What you got?
How did you change the colors like that

I have a Bose Spatial Reciever, Onkyo Dual Deck Hi-Fi Tape deck, A high end Dennon 32 band EQ, Sony 8 disc CD player. A pair of Bose 901s, a pair of Magnaplaner's, Polk Audio center channel and a pair of KLIPSCH Heresy H-700 3-Way Speakers.

Last edited:
What was the name of the stereo store that used to be in the Westroads in the mid-late 70s? They always ran radio commercials featuring Pat Kirowishi (general manager). I bought several pieces of equipment there. World Radio??? Anyone?
I think it was World Radio. Bought my first speakers at the Southroads location in about 1979.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT