ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vedral is the guy

lazysunday

Walk On
Aug 11, 2012
😢

Excerpt from the athletic:

Noah Vedral had no ties to anyone at Rutgers when he transferred from Nebraska in May 2020. Then he, like most other players in the Big Ten, endured the strangest offseason ever while trying to learn coordinator Sean Gleeson’s up-tempo offense.

The numbers don’t jump off the page: 136-of-221 (61.5 percent), 1,253 yards, nine touchdowns and eight interceptions in seven games. But it’s also important to keep perspective. Vedral is the first Rutgers quarterback to start at least seven games and complete at least 60 percent of his passes since Chris Laviano in 2015. With Vedral at the helm, Rutgers improved its scoring output by nearly two touchdowns per game from the previous season, jumping from last in the conference in 2019 to eighth in 2020.

“It’s been a number of years since Rutgers had as much offensive production as we did last year,” Schiano said. “It was a marked improvement, and Noah led it. To have him back again gives our guys a little bit of confidence.”

It wasn’t perfect, but there’s confidence in the quick-thinking Vedral to operate the scheme at a higher level of efficiency after a year to immerse himself in the offense.

The fifth-year senior doesn’t have to worry about a battle in camp. He’s the guy.

One win as a starter in 2020, and that was a game in which Michigan State turned the ball over 7 times. QBR was 105th among 125 FBS quarterbacks (go here and just keeping clicking "show more" until you eventually get there).

Martinez isn't the answer, but that doesn't mean the QBs who left the program are suddenly good.

One win as a starter in 2020, and that was a game in which Michigan State turned the ball over 7 times. QBR was 105th among 125 FBS quarterbacks (go here and just keeping clicking "show more" until you eventually get there).

Martinez isn't the answer, but that doesn't mean the QBs who left the program are suddenly good.
Except, young players typically progress and improve with reps and maturity.

Vedral started off rocky at NU but showed a better command of the offense and quick decision making required. He was certainly a better option than Luke. Everyday Frost looks more foolish.

I will laugh if he turns out to be 2nd or 3rd team for Rutgers. Even Honorable Mention.

Except, young players typically progress and improve with reps and maturity.

Vedral started off rocky at NU but showed a better command of the offense and quick decision making required. He was certainly a better option than Luke. Everyday Frost looks more foolish.

I will laugh if he turns out to be 2nd or 3rd team for Rutgers. Even Honorable Mention.
Frost looks foolish because none of the QBs he recruited to NU have accomplished a damn thing, not because some of them left the program.

😢

Excerpt from the athletic:

Noah Vedral had no ties to anyone at Rutgers when he transferred from Nebraska in May 2020. Then he, like most other players in the Big Ten, endured the strangest offseason ever while trying to learn coordinator Sean Gleeson’s up-tempo offense.

The numbers don’t jump off the page: 136-of-221 (61.5 percent), 1,253 yards, nine touchdowns and eight interceptions in seven games. But it’s also important to keep perspective. Vedral is the first Rutgers quarterback to start at least seven games and complete at least 60 percent of his passes since Chris Laviano in 2015. With Vedral at the helm, Rutgers improved its scoring output by nearly two touchdowns per game from the previous season, jumping from last in the conference in 2019 to eighth in 2020.

“It’s been a number of years since Rutgers had as much offensive production as we did last year,” Schiano said. “It was a marked improvement, and Noah led it. To have him back again gives our guys a little bit of confidence.”

It wasn’t perfect, but there’s confidence in the quick-thinking Vedral to operate the scheme at a higher level of efficiency after a year to immerse himself in the offense.

The fifth-year senior doesn’t have to worry about a battle in camp. He’s the guy.
Amazing Vedral will embarass AM this year. What a joke of Harry Potter QB coach we have.

If you want to watch three QBs look absolutely terrible against a mediocre Illinois defense, just watch Saturday's game film + the 2020 replays of Vedral and McCaffrey playing the Illini.

The problem isn't that two of them are gone, it's that they were all three here in the first place.

Reactions: kakdawg
Frost looks foolish because none of the QBs he recruited to NU have accomplished a damn thing, not because some of them left the program.
Frost looks foolish because he signaled to the rest of the room that Martinez was his guy come hell or high water. At the very least verduzco and frost tell them that they'll have every opportunity to show what they can do. Vedral and Gabbia are by no means world beaters. But they, just like us, can see that Martinez is not a good leader and he makes tons of mistakes with no consequence.

Pop in the Minnesota vs Nebraska 2019 tape and tell me he’s the guy.

And for the record I really don’t blame any QB that we have recruiting. Its got to be brutal being “coached” by Frost and Verduzco. They never had a chance.
You would discard a quarterback over one game, his first? Did you put your kids on the curb the first time they tried to walk and couldn't do it? Idiotic

You would discard a quarterback over one game, his first? Did you put your kids on the curb the first time they tried to walk and couldn't do it? Idiotic

Yes, based on what I have seen out of Vedral I can say without certain he’s not the guy. Better than Martinez? Probably.

Most definitely not good enough to overcome the major shortcomings of Scott Frost.

This board has done this with every QB except AM, ironically the one who should’ve been written off immediately.

Somehow people still hold out hope for him & inexplicably believe he’s either ‘our best option’ or ‘gives us the best chance to win’ despite doing literally nothing but lose in now 3+ years.

AM’s best win came in a game in which the offense he led scored zero touchdowns, even after starting two drives inside the opponent’s 20 yard line.

Yes, based on what I have seen out of Vedral I can say without certain he’s not the guy. Better than Martinez? Probably.

Most definitely not good enough to overcome the major shortcomings of Scott Frost.
This is the point though.

It would be nice to at least have Vedral on the team as an option to put in. Right now all we are hearing is Smothers doesn’t have an arm and Haarberg is not ready.

Instead we will have to suffer through Martinez knowing he will never turn the corner.

This board has done this with every QB except AM, ironically the one who should’ve been written off immediately.

Somehow people still hold out hope for him & inexplicably believe he’s either ‘our best option’ or ‘gives us the best chance to win’ despite doing literally nothing but lose in now 3+ years.
If Frost decides to bench Martinez in favor of Haarberg or Smothers, I would have no problem with that. At least both are freshmen, so even if the results aren't great there is time for them to develop.

I'm not married to Martinez, I just don't get all the fantasizing over replacing one guy who has shown he can't beat Big 10 opponents with another guy who has shown he can't beat Big 10 opponents.

Reactions: WHCSC
Had Vedral been available, instead of injured by dirty MD player, RU might have won against Nebraska last year, but also maybe not.
Probably so. Vedral is an absolute world-beater when he's not playing.

If Frost decides to bench Martinez in favor of Haarberg or Smothers, I would have no problem with that. At least both are freshmen, so even if the results aren't great there is time for them to develop.

I'm not married to Martinez, I just don't get all the fantasizing over replacing one guy who has shown he can't beat Big 10 opponents with another guy who has shown he can't beat Big 10 opponents.
AM's replacement(s) have shown they can't beat b1g opponents? news to me

last year, his 'incapable' replacement went .500 vs b1g teams, including a better win than AM's been able to muster in his 25+ conference starts

AM's replacement(s) have shown they can't beat b1g opponents? news to me

last year, his 'incapable' replacement went .500 vs b1g teams, including a better win than AM's been able to muster in his 25+ conference starts
No, he didn't. Vedral was only on the field for one of Rutgers' wins - the opener against Michigan State.

If you want to contend that AM has been even more terrible in Big 10 play than Vedral - fine, I won't argue with you. But we're really just debating degrees of awfulness.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
No, he didn't. Vedral was only on the field for one of Rutgers' wins - the opener against Michigan State.

If you want to contend that AM has been even more terrible in Big 10 play than Vedral - fine, I won't argue with you. But we're really just debating degrees of awfulness.
Will have our Vedral answer at the end of this season.

Noah isn't an all time great or anything, but he just needs to be serviceable at RU. Schiano's teams are about defense and running backs.

Reactions: hoquat63
Let's not get selective memory about Luke Mac. He sucks as a QB.
Yeah it sucks when people have selective memory about QBs they happen to like, but have never actually shown anything on the field. Don't you hate it when that happens?

If only McCaffrey was turning 23 and in his 6th year of college football. Then we could say he's a young player who will progress and improve with reps and maturity.

Last edited:
Yeah it sucks when people have selective memory about QBs they happen to like, but have never actually shown anything on the field. Don't you hate it when that happens?
Sure do! We saw flashes of Vedral running our offense with tempo. Then he got hurt. Frost did not have the team ready against Minnesota. Goes to Rutgers and wins their starting job. I maintain he is a better QB than Luke 'spaghetti arm' Mac and we are worse off without him. By this year, as the QB with the best understanding of the Frost offense of anyone, he's a viable option to take over for Martinez. Not saying he's a huge upgrade, but what do we have to lose? He desperately wanted to follow Frost to Nebraska and then he cuts bait? Makes no sense. He did not get a fair shot at Nebraska.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Sure do! We saw flashes of Vedral running our offense with tempo. Then he got hurt. Frost did not have the team ready against Minnesota. Goes to Rutgers and wins their starting job. I maintain he is a better QB than Luke 'spaghetti arm' Mac and we are worse off without him. By this year, as the QB with the best understanding of the Frost offense of anyone, he's a viable option to take over for Martinez. Not saying he's a huge upgrade, but what do we have to lose? He desperately wanted to follow Frost to Nebraska and then he cuts bait? Makes no sense. He did not get a fair shot at Nebraska.
What were those "flashes," exactly? When NU finally scored a garbage time TD three hours into the Minnesota game?

But yeh, it's those other people who have selective memory! Good Lord.

Martinez played really well in the second half.
So what? He personally deflated the entire team and fanbase by failing twice to hit wide open TDs followed by gifting them the TD before half. The fact they increased their deficit to 3 TDs in decisive fashion to start the 2nd half speaks to how demoralizing his play his. Then a 75 yard scramble as a true outlier in the game flow and all is well in your mind.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
What were those "flashes," exactly? When NU finally scored a garbage time TD three hours into the Minnesota game?

But yeh, it's those other people who have selective memory! Good Lord.
See, you get it.

Article says he’s the guy for Rutgers (starting qb.) Doesn't mean he would be the guy if he were still a Husker.

Vedral record is 3 -0 with about 700 yards of total offense and 0 Interceptions and 0 fumbles. Rutgers plays at Michigan tomorrow .
tomorrow is where the rubber hits the road for Vedral and Rutgers. They haven't been tested yet. Schiano has his team believing though and there is not a QB controversy at Rutgers. He's their only real option. That is a positive for a team.

Reactions: bigredhunter
Not well.
I'm hoping he has a good season. I can't help but root for the kid. He's a good dude and he did what he needed to do to get to play more but there's no way he has Adrian's talent. We really don't know if his intangibles might have worked over the longer term if he had been regular starter at NU. Good kid. Probably below average physical QB skills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT