ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Vasectomy

ZJSARENOTFREE

Sophomore
Oct 16, 2017
Who's had one? I'm getting snipped on Friday, and was curious when you gents went back to working out, running, etc. Some of my buddies have told me they felt almost a pulling in their lower abdomen for a few weeks, but was curious what others thought.

If the doctor tells you not to lift anything for 7 days..... don't lift anything for 7 days. A couple of guys I know did NOT follow instructions and it ended very painful for them. But they fully admitted it was their idiocy that caused the unnecessarily long and painful re-recovery.

Reactions: jaftr
Who's had one? I'm getting snipped on Friday, and was curious when you gents went back to working out, running, etc. Some of my buddies have told me they felt almost a pulling in their lower abdomen for a few weeks, but was curious what others thought.

I developed a hematoma after mine, essentially had a solid clump the size of a fist in there that took weeks to reduce slowly. I just am glad I never have to go through it again, it was miserable as could be for me.

I developed a hematoma after mine, essentially had a solid clump the size of a fist in there that took weeks to reduce slowly. I just am glad I never have to go through it again, it was miserable as could be for me.

Man....

yeah...listen to the doc. Had a buddy fell good after and mowed the lawn. Ballsack the size of a basketball, it seemed, the next day. Just lay around for about a week.

Reactions: radman
Not my favorite experience. It was about two weeks after the operation and everything appeared to be going as planned until I noticed at work that it was becoming uncomfortable to sit. I got up from my desk went to the bathroom and noticed my left testicle had started to swell. Within a couple of hours my left nut swelled to the size of a fist and I could barely walk. Of course, I immediately call the urologist to see what the eff was going on. The doc told me to leave work and come right over to their office for an examination. When I pulled my junk out for the doc to examine, he looked me in the eyes and slowly backed away. Needless to say this was not the sort of reaction I was looking for... The doc sent me to the hospital where I had to have a twenty something year old female technician give my huge left nut an ultrasound. That was a bad day. Hope you have better luck man!

Last edited:
Take it easy. Frozen peas and booze. You'll be fine.
This. Follow the doctor's orders, keep your fellas cool, and manage the pain. I imagine that there are horror stories out there (seen above) but that's not always the case. Use it as an excuse to skip out of the things you don't really like to do over the holidays ("I'd love to go with you to your staff party tonight but my boys are just really sore..." or "Honestly, I really want to help you finish with the Christmas shopping but it aches so much...").

Best decision a male can make once he has decided not to have anymore kids. The problems are actually few and far between, although I feel sorry for the posters on the board who did have problems. Unless you are going to be dating a lot of women or are planning to wear condoms, it’s a no brainer. Git R Done.

Reactions: Lars72
Not my favorite experience. It was about two weeks after the operation and everything appeared to be going as planned until I noticed at work that it was becoming uncomfortable to sit. I got up from my desk went to the bathroom and noticed my left testicle had started to swell. Within a couple of hours my left nut swelled to the size of a fist and I could barely walk. Of course, I immediately call the urologist to see what the eff was going on. The doc told me to leave work and come right over to their office for an examination. When I pulled my junk out for the doc to examine, he looked me in the eyes and slowly backed away. Needless to say this was not the sort of reaction I was looking for... The doc sent me to the hospital where I had to have a twenty something year old female technician give my huge left nut an ultrasound. That was a bad day. Hope you have better luck man!

I feel like we need the rest of the story - did the female technician faint dead away? Or did she act like "no big deal, I see a huge nut every day"? Did they poke a needle in it and it deflated like a balloon? Did it explode???? We need some resolution on this tale!

I feel like we need the rest of the story - did the female technician faint dead away? Or did she act like "no big deal, I see a huge nut every day"? Did they poke a needle in it and it deflated like a balloon? Did it explode???? We need some resolution on this tale!
She was very sympathetic, said it looked painful. I told her I wished she could have seen it under different circumstances. Just kidding, I didn't say that, I'm married. Turned out I had developed epididymitis as a result of the operation. Thankfully after a couple of weeks of strong anti-inflammatories and antibiotics things were back to normal. Two years later all is well, love the kids I have and glad I'm not having more.

Last edited:
No don't do it, first of all now your wife won't want sex anymore and second if she does get pregnant now the pool boy did it, then you'll end up killing him. It's all bad just back out

I was fully intending to get one after the last baby is born late this spring and my wife was weirdly against it. So I guess I'll hold off, not I can pretend like I didn't have surgery on my junk and trick her.

when my youngest was 2...my wife said she was done and I was DONE if I didn't get taken care of...so I agreed. The one thing I will say is... I agree with the advice on here for the most part. Be ready for it to feel like your balls are hanging out the bottom of your pant legs! AND Remember ...your jock strap is your friend!

Good Luck...and it will be alright!

Don't be an idiot. Plan on several days of nothing. Movies, football, reading a book. The 2nd week dont plan on much more. Ice them all day, and maybe after a couple of weeks start some light activity if your doc says ok.

Most people have problems because they feel good and do something they shouldn't. Even getting up and moving around can cause problems.

Trust me a couple of weeks of down time far outweighs weeks of pain and recovery from swelling

Not bad at all. I put a bag of frozen peas on my nutsack to make the swelling go down, but I wouldnt try working out for at least a couple of weeks.

All I can say is; start your antibiotic regiment NOW!!! By Friday the medicine will have taken foothold and it'll make a huge difference as far as recover goes stemming off infection and soreness.

Mine was a cake walk (two years ago). Worst part was getting the local anesthetic (that or the God awful family planning movie I had to watch!!). Lots of horror stories but for me post-op wasn’t bad at all. I never took a single one of the Vicodin prescribed. Wear something supportive after, and then ice (frozen peas trick is handy) and rest as prescribed, and you’ll be fine. Never had to take a pre or post antibiotic.

I just want to say thanks.

I was fully intending to get one after the last baby is born late this spring and my wife was weirdly against it. So I guess I'll hold off, not I can pretend like I didn't have surgery on my junk and trick her.
Heard of a guy whose wife insisted he get one. After he did, she divorced him. She just wanted to make sure he didn't have more kids with the next wife.Winking

Had it done about 12 years ago. Had zero issues. Of course I didn't push it and do anything the doctor said not to do. Took it easy for 3 days then I probably could have done whatever I wanted to.

Was told you have to... you know, 20 times before safe. Fun times!

Had it done about 12 years ago. Had zero issues. Of course I didn't push it and do anything the doctor said not to do. Took it easy for 3 days then I probably could have done whatever I wanted to.

Was told you have to... you know, 20 times before safe. Fun times!
If you plan those 3 days right it can be a lot of fun. I did mine on Thursday morning of first round (ok technically the second if you count play in games) of March madness. 3 days of basketball and a fourth to make sure everything was healing well

There is another/better way, IMO. Been charting wife's fertility for 19 years. Simple. Takes about 2 hours to learn how. No pills and nobody getting spayed or neutered at our house. Did I mention it is free?

Last edited:
Had this after my second child. Cake walk. Just follow doctor’s suggestion. Rest, don’t lift and ice to keep the swelling down. This was a walk in the park compared to the double hernia. My balls the size of a basketball. In both cases, rest and relaxation. Let the wife wait on you hand and foot.

ADVERTISEMENT