ADVERTISEMENT

OT -- two great reads...

WC_'sker

Senior
Jun 5, 2010
Last week I finished "On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides. It's a great book about the Marines at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War. That war is often called "the forgotten war," but the bravery and valor of those Marines must never be forgotten.
This week I'm reading "The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson. The book recounts Churchill's first year as Prime Minister. It covers his cabinet, his family, and the bombing of London, Coventry, and other cities.

Last week I finished "On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides. It's a great book about the Marines at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War. That war is often called "the forgotten war," but the bravery and valor of those Marines must never be forgotten.
This week I'm reading "The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson. The book recounts Churchill's first year as Prime Minister. It covers his cabinet, his family, and the bombing of London, Coventry, and other cities.

Makes me wish I could read

TallNastyBonobo-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: tpmcg and SkerInCo
After hearing about it on Joe Rogan, there is a former Navy Seal, Jack Carr, who has put out some good reads. I enjoy them. It's fiction, with a real element built in from his experience.

I plan on reading The Good Shepherd. It's the basis of Tom Hanks new movie, Greyhound.

I plan on reading The Good Shepherd. It's the basis of Tom Hanks new movie, Greyhound.
Just read it, it's not bad. For WWII convoy books, I preferred "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat but they're both good. Now I need to get the German perspective and read Das Boot or something.

Reactions: drubendall
I'm reading Splendid and the Vile right now....Larson is a master writer....

About 1/4th of the way through The Splendid and the Vile currently. Just finished In the Garden of Beasts and really liked it.

Reactions: 4norsemen
I've probably read three times more than normal, and books I thought I'd love have not always, and others have, in a surprising turn, been pretty great.....Garden of Beasts IS exceptional to me...
just finished a book I bought in March about Crosby Still Nash and Young, that has had moments, but did not grab me like I thought it would...

Splendid and the vile was ok. Thought the story was interesting but it just wasn't a can't put down book for me. Really liked In the garden of beasts. Also really liked Hellhound on his Trail. Not sure if you guys are into that type of history but Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck is fabulous. Couldn't put it down. Woke up early to read it before work even. Was probably the cheapest book I've ever bought too.

The Sides book as all of them is outstanding. Finished Splendid /Vile last night. Very good book. Maybe best on Battle of Britain with out going way in depth on the logistics of the RAF.

ADVERTISEMENT