OT Trek fans, what do you think of "New Star Trek"

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by salsa red, Mar 29, 2020.

1. salsa red

salsa red Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Now that we have more time and no sports I decided to watch some of the new trek shows (discovery & picard). I'm a pretty big trek fan and have watch all the series with TNG being my favorite and DS9 being my second favorite. I've rewatched many episodes and they are still excellent. The newer movies were entertaining sci fi movies but I thought they were a just a hold over until we got some real trek again on the original timeline. But they decided to continue the movie timeline and gave us 2 new shows and I haven't found a single trek fan that actually likes the shows. They have some good moments but it is so far from trek and so political that it makes me cringe.

Upon looking into it it appears the creators wanted to make the show political. Here's one article below:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...mits-he-wanted-to-piss-off-or-provoke-people/

Patrick Stewart also wanted the show to be more adult, anti brexit, and anti trump.
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/sir-...ew-star-trek-series-will-take-on-trump-brexit

Star Trek was cool for me because it was a future where mankind evolved and overcame our differences. I also liked the adventures of discovering a new planet or species, and if a show was political it wasn't shoved down your throat, and it only lasted 1 episode.

baseball31ne likes this.
  2. Sinomatic

Sinomatic Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Well that's one show I won't be watching then. I don't watch political anything on purpose. I don't even watch the news on a regular basis.

Patrick Stewart can go quietly into the abyss on his make believe starship his country won't ever be able to build, brexit or not,.....and take his politics with him.

Baxter48 likes this.
  3. NorthwoodHusker

NorthwoodHusker Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Watched happy feet with an old girlfriend, loved it, until towards the end, those evile corporations in anartica, where just bringing anything there is extremely costly, there was all this left over toxic crap.
    My gf begged me to stay til the end, I still dont know how it finished.

Sinomatic likes this.
  4. Blackshirt316

Blackshirt316 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Most of the new Star Trek stuff is trash. Much prefer the Orville.

baseball31ne and NorthwoodHusker like this.
  5. litespeedhuskerfan

litespeedhuskerfan Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Got excited about the first few words in your title cause I just bought a new Trek Top Fuel...then I realized you weren't talking about the bike company :(

6. ThereIsNoPlace

Expand Collapse

Funny, OP, i watched Picard and never thought once about politics. I guess it's all about expectations and perceptions. See, I don't go into a show like Picard expecting a stance about modern day politics. In fact, when I step out my front door, I'm not squinting my eyes looking for the political extremists staring me down from afar. Now, when I watch the Sunday Morning news shows, I like to know what party the Congressman is from and when I read a column ABOUT politics, I am aware of leanings. My hope for you, and anyone like you, is someday you will enjoy Science Fiction, and any entertainment really, without thinking of politics. Good luck.

7. salsa red

salsa red Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Yes I loved the Orville. The mix of humor, adventure and drama make it a great show. I'm excited for season 3

HuskerinSFSD likes this.
  8. salsa red

salsa red Newbie
    Expand Collapse

I was hoping for something similar to classic trek. The whole story was strange. Romulan refugees? Romulans had a huge empire. Then the federation of planets full of different species becomes racist and xenophobic. Finally all the man hating really got to me. In TNG Picard was the alpha, now he can't go 5 minutes without being berated by a woman in power. The Roddenberry vision of the future is no more.
    I thought maybe after the success of the Mandalorian we could see that if producers gave fans what they have asked for they could have a hit show.

9. Baxter48

Baxter48 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

He’s really trying to kill off his career

10. ThereIsNoPlace

Expand Collapse

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[​IMG]