ADVERTISEMENT

OT TOOL

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
As a lifelong fan of Rush and Pink Floyd, my ears have recently been opened to TOOL. Of course, I have heard a couple songs over the years (e.g. Sober, Stinkfist, Schism), but I had no idea the band was this deeply talented. I think I now can name three bands that meet my lofty standards. Pneuma and Eulogy are on constant loop. It's a whole new world.

As a drummer I can't imagine a world that only has Pink Floyd and Rush in it. Don't get me wrong, I like the two bands, but I'd have to find myself in a really weird box to only have Tool, Pink Floyd and Rush in my "like" column.

Reactions: Thomud
As a drummer I can't imagine a world that only has Pink Floyd and Rush in it. Don't get me wrong, I like the two bands, but I'd have to find myself in a really weird box to only have Tool, Pink Floyd and Rush in my "like" column.
I listen to tons of other bands, but for years I've put Rush and Pink Floyd waaaaay at the top of the list. No other bands come close. TOOL is getting there...

I never cared for the stuff after Roger Waters left as I considered him the genius of the group after Syd Barret cracked up. Gilmour just mainly capitalising on the name and great guitar

But good start as Neil Peart was the King and no one was close. You being a drummer should know that. Won the Battle of the drummer's competition something like 20 years in a row.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
As a lifelong fan of Rush and Pink Floyd, my ears have recently been opened to TOOL. Of course, I have heard a couple songs over the years (e.g. Sober, Stinkfist, Schism), but I had no idea the band was this deeply talented. I think I now can name three bands that meet my lofty standards. Pneuma and Eulogy are on constant loop. It's a whole new world.

I believe they're the most gifted band, from a musical theory standpoint, in the history of Rock. They reach chord and percussion dynamics that only geniuses can manufacture.

Welcome. Hopefully you get to experience live someday

Reactions: otismotis08
Welcome to the club ! Longtime fan of Pink Floyd and Rush. None better ! About 10 years ago my college aged son turned me on yo tool. Favorite album is 10,000 Days. Got to see them live this summer . Yes, Pneuma especially blew me away. Check out the "meaning" of that song for a second blast of awe !

My top3 as well !

Freaking phenomenal! As a reborn drummer, it is always great to watch amazing professional percussionists & try to learn from them, regardless of the musical genre.
Fellow drummer...though, for me, I would substitute "hack" for "reborn". 😎

Reactions: Lars72
I've seen Tool a number of times...the last time in Lincoln a couple years back. Front row center! Got a drumstick from Danny Carey. Adam Jones even came into my store earlier in the day, but I was not there.

Reactions: Cornicator
Sober, Eulogy and Pneuma are probably my 3 favorite Tool songs. Saw them in Omaha back in 2002.

I have to drive a lot for my job so I am old school with CD's. The Tool CD is Fear Inoculum and it is unbelievable. It is heavy on the instrumental and as you stated they are very talented. Every song on the CD is good if you listen to it enough. There are certain points in each song that demand loud volume and it is game on. GBR!

Obscured by Clouds
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Division Bell

Even the Endless River is great.

The Wall is probably my favorite. Just so many great songs.
You can never go wrong with Pink Floyd. If you don't have the double live CD Pulse you should get it or down load it. it is awesome GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT