ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Things that today's kids may have never touched

Drove a buddies POS with no power steering or brakes. That sucked. Almost wrecked a few times.
I literally learned to drive a stick from some really good used car salesman outside of Seattle. He was showing me a POS 92' Chevy S-10 with a crap four cylinder gutless motor with no power steering and no AC. I told him I didn't even know how to drive a stick so he taught me on the test drive. I bought that pile of crap that day and drove it back to the base. I got to the gate and killed it several times before the gate guard literally started coaching me how to get it moving out of her gate. I may be the only guy on that base that got away with squealing my tires away from the base. I just dynamited the gas while I dropped the clutch. Every 140 HP I had was working.

Kind of wild thinking that just a generation ago we were at least exposed to these things.
  • label maker
  • polaroid camera
  • floppy disk
  • can opener
  • microphone
  • cb radio
  • vhs cassette tape
  • kodak film
  • jacks
  • sewing machine
  • card catalog at library
  • cassette recorder
  • tiddlywinks
  • chalk board eraser
  • Sears catalog
  • vinyl records
  • pocket watch
  • phone booth
  • yo-yo
  • jiffy pop
  • bow tie
  • manual television channel knob
  • dollar coin
  • chinese checkers
  • yellow pages
  • film reel
  • car window crank
  • pinball game
  • microfiche
  • cash register
  • typewriter
  • photo album
  • rabbit ears antennae
  • rotary dial telephone
  • metal slide
  • rubber stamp
  • fountain pen
  • letter opener
  • wax seal for letters
  • pager
  • walkman
  • straw hat from 20s
  • clothes pin
  • encylopedia
  • slide rule
  • outhouse
A center's butt.

candy cigarettes
necco wafers
wax mustaches
black jack/clove* gum

*invented so parents could tell their kids, ‘its better than no gum’.

Kind of wild thinking that just a generation ago we were at least exposed to these things.
  • label maker
  • polaroid camera
  • floppy disk
  • can opener
  • microphone
  • cb radio
  • vhs cassette tape
  • kodak film
  • jacks
  • sewing machine
  • card catalog at library
  • cassette recorder
  • tiddlywinks
  • chalk board eraser
  • Sears catalog
  • vinyl records
  • pocket watch
  • phone booth
  • yo-yo
  • jiffy pop
  • bow tie
  • manual television channel knob
  • dollar coin
  • chinese checkers
  • yellow pages
  • film reel
  • car window crank
  • pinball game
  • microfiche
  • cash register
  • typewriter
  • photo album
  • rabbit ears antennae
  • rotary dial telephone
  • metal slide
  • rubber stamp
  • fountain pen
  • letter opener
  • wax seal for letters
  • pager
  • walkman
  • straw hat from 20s
  • clothes pin
  • encylopedia
  • slide rule
  • outhouse

"Outhouse?" I've never even touched one.

My uncle up in the Columbus area had one in the back yard. He bought the circa 1910 house after the war with a GI loan and it was there, but the house was already plumbed, so they used the outhouse for storage. When I lifted the seat, it was just dirt, the hole had been filled in. There are currently outhouses of a sort in the California national forests in areas too remote for plumbing. They are a porta potty type "house" over a hole dug about 25' into the ground. I'm not sure how they work, but I assume once the liquids and solids rise up in the pit they fill it in and relocate the house. As much as California pays attention to environmentals, they probably figure the pits are better than people crapping in the woods. About 10 years ago a guy was busted for being down in one of those pits, knee-deep in the muck taking picture of women using the toilet. When I read about it I gave the guy an "A" for ingenuity, but an "F" for tact.

I've always had indoor plumbing. When I was a kid in the early 70s in Omaha, we went and visited some family relatives in northern Wisconsin. I remember using an outhouse and also having to pump water by hand to fill a basin. Then you had to boil that water if you wanted it warmed up. Makes you appreciate the modern day for sure! Although most on here have fairly decent living standards, there is a lot of poverty and places that don't have that. There are places in Appalachia where you'd swear you were in a third world country and not in the USA. I've heard that there are similar places in the south and on Indian reservations that are bad off as well.

Are there any farm windmills that are operational any more?

Boxes, your water hand pump brings back some old memories. I didn't but have had older siblings that have attended 1 room schoolhouse.

Suicide doors on some of the old cars.

Dual Floppy Computers, mono-chrome monitors, DOS

Smallpox scars

slide rule << Lucky them.

Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT