ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Things that today's kids may have never touched

Good old s&h green stamps!!! Wasn't there gold bond too?? Mr Pizza in fairbury Baxter!!
yes to gold bond stamps and I believe the city of Lincoln had blue stamps for trading. I have to check with a buddy of mine about mr pizza if I remember correctly, where the current Pizza Hut is was i believe it was the pizza house but not sure

Reactions: huskerfan66
Here’s another days gone by going to the local railroad depot and pick up a delivery. I can remember as a kid about 4 years old going with my parents to the Daykin Ne depot and picking up something dad ordered and the railroad brought it, not sure but I think it was the railroad or us mail no ups or fedx back them

The old style bumper jacks that used to be standard with every 6000 pound box on wheels. Hell, most kids probably don't even know how to change the tires now, so a four way and bumper jack would probably really confuse the heck out of them.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
The old style bumper jacks that used to be standard with every 6000 pound box on wheels. Hell, most kids probably don't even know how to change the tires now, so a four way and bumper jack would probably really confuse the heck out of them.
Always had to make sure you were on relatively flat ground. Had a few start tipping that we barely got stopped from falling over.

Reactions: resdog851
electric trains, balsa/rubber band planes, put put golf, fending off sexual preditors while walking 5 miles to school in snow, bread plastic to keep your feet dry on the way to school.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-19-at-12.10.25-PM.png

Last edited:
Kind of wild thinking that just a generation ago we were at least exposed to these things.
  • label maker
  • polaroid camera
  • floppy disk
  • can opener
  • microphone
  • cb radio
  • vhs cassette tape
  • kodak film
  • jacks
  • sewing machine
  • card catalog at library
  • cassette recorder
  • tiddlywinks
  • chalk board eraser
  • Sears catalog
  • vinyl records
  • pocket watch
  • phone booth
  • yo-yo
  • jiffy pop
  • bow tie
  • manual television channel knob
  • dollar coin
  • chinese checkers
  • yellow pages
  • film reel
  • car window crank
  • pinball game
  • microfiche
  • cash register
  • typewriter
  • photo album
  • rabbit ears antennae
  • rotary dial telephone
  • metal slide
  • rubber stamp
  • fountain pen
  • letter opener
  • wax seal for letters
  • pager
  • walkman
  • straw hat from 20s
  • clothes pin
  • encylopedia
  • slide rule
  • outhouse
Wait....a can opener?

Are there self opening cans now?

Wait....a can opener?

Are there self opening cans now?

A lot of cans now have pull tabs where you don't need a can opener. Also, if anyone re-reads my thread title, it's things that kids MAY have never touched. Things change. I'm sure most of my generation never touched a butter churn, but I have.

Kids will eventually wonder why we say "roll down the window" and why the save icon looks the way it does.

Reactions: bigboxes
car garage doors: Us kids were always designated as garage door attendants to open the garage door so Dad could park in the garage. That's why sitting in the middle was not a bad spot to be.

We use to take the trash out to the burn barrel too. No more of that.

Reactions: HBK4life
Might be repeats:

TV rabbit ears
8 track tape
TV dinner
Beta VCR
M80s or Cherry Bombs
A rogue milo plant....

yes to gold bond stamps and I believe the city of Lincoln had blue stamps for trading. I have to check with a buddy of mine about mr pizza if I remember correctly, where the current Pizza Hut is was i believe it was the pizza house but not sure
Yes that's the location. I might have the name wrong

I learned to drive on a stick. I thank my mother for that.
Amen! It might not be ideal for the everyday commute in stop and go traffic but if you have a love for driving, I think it is an experience everyone should learn!

If you love sports cars, then you must have a manual!

A lot of cans now have pull tabs where you don't need a can opener. Also, if anyone re-reads my thread title, it's things that kids MAY have never touched. Things change. I'm sure most of my generation never touched a butter churn, but I have.

Did you walk up hill both ways in 4 feet of snow when it was 50* below?

Kind of wild thinking that just a generation ago we were at least exposed to these things.
  • label maker
  • polaroid camera
  • floppy disk
  • can opener
  • microphone
  • cb radio
  • vhs cassette tape
  • kodak film
  • jacks
  • sewing machine
  • card catalog at library
  • cassette recorder