ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texas trooper pulled me over in West Texas yesterday

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
I got pulled over yesterday morning on the way back from West Texas. I was just west of Big Spring when a state trooper lit me up and turned to chase me. I must have been doing 90. I mean, we're talking the middle of nowhere out in oil country. Nothing but oil pumps as far as the eye can see. I wasn't even on the interstate. Just some state highway.

I hand him my driver's license and my carry license.

Trooper: Are you carrying today?
Me: Yes, sir
Trooper: Where are you carrying it?
Me: On the floor board, next to me.
Trooper: What are you carrying?
Me. HK VP9
Trooper: (grin)

I got a warning.
pQZ6QaY.png

Last edited:
I got pulled over yesterday morning on the way back from West Texas. I was just west of Big Spring when a state trooper lit me up and turned to chase me. I must have been doing 90. I mean, we're talking the middle of nowhere out in oil country. Nothing but oil pumps as far as the eye can see. I wasn't even on the interstate. Just some state highway.

Trooper: Where are carrying it?
Me. HK VP9

I got a warning.
pQZ6QaY.png
A warning for to small of a gun? Did he profile you? Was he/she a racist to you?

Me. HK VP9

I got a warning.
pQZ6QaY.png
Lucky you. After getting my carry permit I got pulled over by our local state patrol Carrier enforcement officer who I am on a first name basis with and have even gone camping with the guy as our sons were in neighboring town scout troops.

He pulled me over and I got read the riot act because the first words out of my mouth when he approached my pickup wasn't that I have a concealed carry permit...... even though I didn't even have it on me. Gave me the stearn warning of $1000 fine yadda yadda yadda.......

Glock 17 now for me after years of carrying a Glock 22. Years ago I was in Memphis and just left Sun Studio and walked over to a parked Memphis cop in the parking lot and introduced myself. Told him I was a cop back in the burbs of Omaha. He asked me if I was carrying and I replied of course. He grinned and said "Good man". He told me he had about five years til retirement then he was getting the hell out of that town. We mythologize about the old west. We live in it every day and pigs don't wander the streets of downtown Omaha like back then. The more things change...

I love how most cops never even pull their guns out once during their career, let alone ever fire it...yet so many regular people think they are staring in the modern day Tombstone.

You guys crack me up!

The CC is the new Mazda Miata!

Lucky you. After getting my carry permit I got pulled over by our local state patrol Carrier enforcement officer who I am on a first name basis with and have even gone camping with the guy as our sons were in neighboring town scout troops.

He pulled me over and I got read the riot act because the first words out of my mouth when he approached my pickup wasn't that I have a concealed carry permit...... even though I didn't even have it on me. Gave me the stearn warning of $1000 fine yadda yadda yadda.......

Yeah. I was told in class to hand it over with the license. They'll see it on their computers that you have a license and wonder why you didn't tell them beforehand. It puts them at ease instead of suspicious. Plus, the "Veterans" on my license can't hurt. I even keep a Navy ballcap on the back seat. When he scanned the vehicle you could tell he was disarmed. I was ready when he came up and offered up the license and carry license. He asked to see my insurance as well. It was actually over pretty quickly. I was surprised to run into him in the middle of nowhere. Fun story to share!

I love how most cops never even pull their guns out once during their career, let alone ever fire it...yet so many regular people think they are staring in the modern day Tombstone.

You guys crack me up!
I don't ever plan on and hope I never have to pull/use mine against another human being. But I hope to be prepared to in the right circumstance in defense of myself or others.

It's a very serious thing if you ever have to pull the trigger and something that you will have to live with the rest of your life. Very serious. That's a benefit of taking the carry courses because it does go over that stuff as well as basic awareness situations in public places. Makes you think things through. Just not a wild Saturday night.

You guys crack me up!

I’m sure people are lining up to rob police officers..

Me. HK VP9

I got a warning.
pQZ6QaY.png
What is the speed limit there? Haven’t they at least raised it to 75 or 80?

I have a Ruger. Had it for years. Thankfully, never had to use it.

When some of those carrier enforcement guy put on the uniform they become instant douches way worse that the state patrol. I asked a guy one time why gravel trucks were never pulled over, he told me there always legal weight, the very next day he’s doing a vehicle check on highway 4 & 53 intersection( btw they’ve never had one their since) Which I travel almost daily.

Reactions: huskerfan66
My only problem with this story is that no one should get a warning for going 90.
When you are in the area he's talking about, nobody should be going less than 90. Talk about nothingness. It makes the Sandhills of Nebraska look like an urban area. I get passed on the interstate between just north of C.Bluffs by people going 90 ALL THE TIME. Who cares.

You guys crack me up!

On the other hand I live in a small town of less than 15k and I have a cop friend who ended up having to use his on a meth head who wasn't fazed by the tazer. The guy just kept coming with a knife. Didn't kill him but still. I wouldn't want the job of stopping people either out in the middle of no where OR at night. You just never know what nutjob is going to decide to try to dust a cop when you walk up to that window. Almost all cops I know are great guys. I know of a couple who are knuckleheads but most are fair and reasonable. I've never gotten a ticket where I wasn't guilty. Sometimes I think the circumstances were unfair but I was always breaking the letter of the law.

Reactions: newAD
When some of those carrier enforcement guy put on the uniform they become instant douches way worse that the state patrol. I asked a guy one time why gravel trucks were never pulled over, he told me there always legal weight, the very next day he’s doing a vehicle check on highway 4 & 53 intersection( btw they’ve never had one their since) Which I travel almost daily.
A guy I know owns a trucking company. He's also been on the state DOT board. His truckers routinely overload trucks and he never gets ticketed. When the scales are closed for state holidays, he'll load grain trucks front to back with wet corn coming out of irrigated fields and not even bother to cover them to hide the load. And we wonder why our highways go to hell so quickly.

On the other hand I live in a small town of less than 15k and I have a cop friend who ended up having to use his on a meth head who wasn't fazed by the tazer. The guy just kept coming with a knife. Didn't kill him but still. I wouldn't want the job of stopping people either out in the middle of no where OR at night. You just never know what nutjob is going to decide to try to dust a cop when you walk up to that window. Almost all cops I know are great guys. I know of a couple who are knuckleheads but most are fair and reasonable. I've never gotten a ticket where I wasn't guilty. Sometimes I think the circumstances were unfair but I was always breaking the letter of the law.

Same here...

Rock trucks have a ton of axles which would take all day to weigh them all from a portable scale. They rarely weigh over at the permanent scales. The big offenders are the dirt haulers and garbage trucks. They routinely are running 40k on a tandem axle. You can see it a mile away. The tires look like marshmallows as they drive down the road. The absolute most dangerous trucks on the road are old farm grain haulers. They are almost always rolling death traps.

A guy I know owns a trucking company. He's also been on the state DOT board. His truckers routinely overload trucks and he never gets ticketed. When the scales are closed for state holidays, he'll load grain trucks front to back with wet corn coming out of irrigated fields and not even bother to cover them to hide the load. And we wonder why our highways go to hell so quickly.
We’ll send you some of ours, that one fall they were like hoards of locusts on highway 81 and even highway 4 pulling almost every farmer over, since 3 of them were living in the town of Hebron instead of going into other counties, 81 in Thayer county was to easy. I believe two have retired

Rock trucks have a ton of axles which would take all day to weigh them all from a portable scale. They rarely weigh over at the permanent scales. The big offenders are the dirt haulers and garbage trucks. They routinely are running 40k on a tandem axle. You can see it a mile away. The tires look like marshmallows as they drive down the road. The absolute most dangerous trucks on the road are old farm grain haulers. They are almost always rolling death traps.

The most dangerous on the road are easily paper trailers or storage trailers, neither see much attention and the annual inspections on them are usually pencil whipped.

Glock 17 now for me after years of carrying a Glock 22. Years ago I was in Memphis and just left Sun Studio and walked over to a parked Memphis cop in the parking lot and introduced myself. Told him I was a cop back in the burbs of Omaha. He asked me if I was carrying and I replied of course. He grinned and said "Good man". He told me he had about five years til retirement then he was getting the hell out of that town. We mythologize about the old west. We live in it every day and pigs don't wander the streets of downtown Omaha like back then. The more things change...

Memphis is a mess. I’d be getting the hell out of there too ASAP.

Reactions: resdog851

You guys crack me up!

Most never have to fire their guns but I’m not sure where you have heard most never pull their guns out. I was a cop in a town of about 5000 before Omaha, and my gun was out fairly often.

My only problem with this story is that no one should get a warning for going 90.

About 8-9 years ago on the way to Utah for a family vacation, I was doing about 95 as I approached the Lexington exit at about 3 am. There was no one within a mile of me in either direction.

There was a trooper in the median that I didn’t see until I was right next to him. I hit the brakes and pulled over immediately. He never even needed to turn on his overhead lights. Got a written warning.

JMHO, but speeding isn’t dangerous in all circumstances. The Autobahn in Germany is far safer statistically that US interstates.

Idiots who drive in the left lane at the speed limit (lord knows there’s a ton of them in this state), create a much more dangerous situation than a speeder in a remote or lightly traveled interstate.

Most never have to fire their guns but I’m not sure where you have heard most never pull their guns out. I was a cop in a town of about 5000 before Omaha, and my gun was out fairly often.
Well sure...I mean I saw the work you did in San Fran, you pulled that .44 a lot!

This talk about Concealed Carry has me wondering do any of you have the CC insurance? BTW I also have my permit and looking to purchase a policy just haven’t decided what company to go with.

This talk about Concealed Carry has me wondering do any of you have the CC insurance? BTW I also have my permit and looking to purchase a policy just haven’t decided what company to go with.

Wait...I thought the gun was the insurance policy.

Signed, Marion Cobretti (Probably)

I don't have the insurance myself, but two guys (Gun guys as it were) that I work with that & very much respect, both have the USCCA insurance. I know they both talked to a lawyer specifically about this sort of thing. If I were signing up tomorrow I'd probably get it from this company just based on their recommendation alone.

Reactions: SillFontaine

Trooper: Where are you carrying it?
Me. HK VP9

I got a warning.
pQZ6QaY.png

What were you doing out there? Oilfield work?

Our son spent 2 years in Abilene and we made several trips from Missouri to Abilene and talk about a boring drive. Parts of the drive in Texas were 80 mph and I got pulled over by a State Patrol for going 5 over...he explained that in an 80 they usually ticket for 5 over but he wrote me a warning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT