ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Summer 2021 travel recommendations, Yellowstone vs Durango

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
Looking for feedback for family travel to either Yellowstone or Durango area for summer 2021. I don’t do the camping thing so prefer the cabin option for accommodations. If Yellowstone, thinking lodging in Red Lodge Montana and use NE entrance to park. If Durango, any good cabin options of note near Lake Vallecito.
Any feedback appreciated.
GBR !

I've never stayed at Lake Vallecito, but another great place to check out in southwestern Colorado is the town of Dolores. Some nice riverside cabins there, and just a very relaxing place to stay. Close to Mesa Verde and other area attractions, but a bit off the beaten path.

Looking for feedback for family travel to either Yellowstone or Durango area for summer 2021. I don’t do the camping thing so prefer the cabin option for accommodations. If Yellowstone, thinking lodging in Red Lodge Montana and use NE entrance to park. If Durango, any good cabin options of note near Lake Vallecito.
GBR !
First off is to say Yellowstone is a Bucket List Destination that everyone should visit at least once in their life. It is my favorite place on earth and I've been there multiple times.

I've been to both places and there is no question that Yellowstone would be my choice. Of course your choice will depend on what you like to do and see.

Having said this, staying in Red Lodge isn't where I'd want to stay. It is almost a 2 hour drive to the NE entrance. Now I will say that it is a spectacular 2 hour drive up the Bear-tooth Hwy but it's 2 hours just to get to the park entrance. If you want to stay near the NE entrance the better choice would be to try and find something in Cooke City instead.

Next thing to know is YNP is BIG! It is approximately the size of the state of Connecticut. Driving from the NE entrance to Old Faithful is approximately a 3 hour drive.

If you choose Yellowstone, I can give you some good information as to where to stay and what to make sure you see. Just let me know what type of activities interest you and your family and I'll help as best I can.

I've never stayed at Lake Vallecito, but another great place to check out in southwestern Colorado is the town of Dolores. Some nice riverside cabins there, and just a very relaxing place to stay. Close to Mesa Verde and other area attractions, but a bit off the beaten path.
I knew a couple that moved from here to Delores. I never got a chance to visit them there before they ended up moving back to SoCal.

Agree here. We found a lot to do around Dolores. Although that was over 10 years ago. Went horse back trail riding, san Juan fly fishing, river rafting the Durango Silverton railroad and Mesa Verde. Loved it all. If you do the train I recommend taking the bus to Silverton and the train back to Durango. You get a good narrative from the driver about things that will be important on the train ride.

If you have time and 4x4 I recommend taking the cinnamon pass to lake City.

Not sure what you will find but we were planning a Colorado trip with some friends who have a big 5th wheel camper. We helped them out on some things and wanted to take us on a trip in the SE and SW areas. When we started looking some of the "cabins" were like $65 a night. When we called they raised the prices to $150. YMMV

First off is to say Yellowstone is a Bucket List Destination that everyone should visit at least once in their life. It is my favorite place on earth and I've been there multiple times.

I've been to both places and there is no question that Yellowstone would be my choice. Of course your choice will depend on what you like to do and see.

Having said this, staying in Red Lodge isn't where I'd want to stay. It is almost a 2 hour drive to the NE entrance. Now I will say that it is a spectacular 2 hour drive up the Bear-tooth Hwy but it's 2 hours just to get to the park entrance. If you want to stay near the NE entrance the better choice would be to try and find something in Cooke City instead.

Next thing to know is YNP is BIG! It is approximately the size of the state of Connecticut. Driving from the NE entrance to Old Faithful is approximately a 3 hour drive.

If you choose Yellowstone, I can give you some good information as to where to stay and what to make sure you see. Just let me know what type of activities interest you and your family and I'll help as best I can.
Yellowstone carries the perception of being very crowded. Do you concur or do you just drive far enough away from people to get away from them? also if you've been to Yosemite is Yellowstone still your favorite?

Yellowstone carries the perception of being very crowded. Do you concur or do you just drive far enough away from people to get away from them? also if you've been to Yosemite is Yellowstone still your favorite?
Yes, Yellowstone is crowded if you go at the wrong times and only stick to the stuff you can see from the road. I give the same advice for Yellowstone that I give for Disneyland...take the kids out of school and go in the off-season, before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. You will have a completely different experience.

I also agree to be careful about where you "base" out of. Wyoming and Montana are big places. If you're not careful, you will spend all of your time driving.

If you go in the summer it will be crowded in the popular spots and on some (if not most) of the roads. (Remember there are only 2 seasons in YNP. (Winter and Road Construction Laughing) Depending on what you like to do you can still get away from the crowds. We like to view and photograph wildlife so we end up in some of the more less traveled areas. Cooke City is a great place to stay if this is what you like to do.

I've been to both places. It's a close decision but YNP comes out on top for me. Yosemite Valley is perhaps the most beautiful spot on earth but on a summer weekend day it's one of the most crowded spots as well. Of course there is much more to Yosemite than just the Valley but that is where most want to go and see all the famous spots / sights.

For me it just comes to the overall experience and that is why I'd choose YNP. It has the majestic falls and mountains like Yosemite. (They're just aren't all concentrated in one spot like Yosemite) YPN also has the geysers which are really good to see. (especially for kids) It also has the wildlife that earns it the America's Serengeti title.

If you like to hike both places has that, but Yosemite also has rock climbing / hiking. (Hiking up to the top of Half Dome is spectacular)

You'll really enjoy visiting either place.

Last edited:
Reactions: v1nufan
GBR !
I've been to Yellowstone at least 7 or 8 times. When sitting at a beer garden with the director of tourism for Interlaken Switzerland she asked me what the ONE place everybody should see was in the U.S. It took me about 3 seconds to come up with Yellowstone. That said, this time of year it will be an absolute zoo of campers and traffic. A friend just got back from the Blackhills and he said the interstate was bumper to bumper RVs heading west. I expect that Yellowstone is the same way coming from the east and west. LOTs of people from the People's Republics of the west coast will be flooding it.

The single best time to visit Yellowstone is probably September. It will be busy now but still very fun. Having a little company around isn't necessarily a bad thing when there's grizzlies out and about. I don't know if any restaurants in the park will be open right now but IF they are, make reservations days in advance or you won't get in. Any place in the mountains would be a great place to be right now.

I agree that the NE entrance is a long ways around to enter the park. Very beautiful and rugged but a long long ways from the most popular sites of Yellowstone Canyon and Old Faithful. IF there is any way you can find even one night of lodging inside the park, DO IT!. I planned one trip for my kid's 11th birthday and I pieced together nights at the Lake Lodge, 2 nights at the Old Faithful Inn and ended with a couple of nights in a view room at Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons. Man that was a BLAST! You HAVE to go inside the Old Faithful Inn if nothing else. There's an upstairs porch with wooden lawn chairs that you can sit at and have drinks waiting for Old Faithful to erupt. Very nice. IF the cabins at Jackson Lake or Coulter Bay are open they aren't horribly expensive and they're very comfortable with private baths but there again you're an hour or so from the south gate.

If you're driving from Nebraska, I would cut through Buffalo and the Bighorns on your way. Cloud Peak Wilderness area is fantastic and there are some great cabins on the edge. South Fork Lodge is a cool place. Deer Haven has cabins, a motel and dining room that is pretty rustic but comfortable. GREAT cheeseburgers and mixed drinks. Cody is a GREAT jumping off place to start your trip. Much better than Red Lodge. The Remington Museum there is fantastic. Lots of good dining. IF you start early you can beat some of the traffic in to the east gate from there and be at Yellowstone Falls by mid morning easily. Yellowstone Falls is probably my favorite spot in Yellowstone along with the Hayden Valley at sunset. The "viewing platform" at the Teton's Jackson Lake Lodge might be my favorite place on earth. BRING A SPOTTING SCOPE OF POWERFUL SET OF BINOCULARS if you go to Yellowstone.

Last edited:
Lived near Yellowstone for half a year. Didn't have time to read all the responses but my recommendation is go right after labor day. Not only do crowds drop a bunch but the wildlife come down out of the mountains as it cools off. If all the people who go in July saw all the wildlife hanging just off the roads in September they would be shocked.

I know you didn't ask but Glacier is amazing too. Go in August when the bears are eating berries. The scenery is breathtaking.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Lived near Yellowstone for half a year. Didn't have time to read all the responses but my recommendation is go right after labor day. Not only do crowds drop a bunch but the wildlife come down out of the mountains as it cools off. If all the people who go in July saw all the wildlife hanging just off the roads in September they would be shocked.

I know you didn't ask but Glacier is amazing too. Go in August when the bears are eating berries. The scenery is breathtaking.

I agree on going to Yellostone after Labor Day. We went when the Aspens were turning. Perfect timing as it was gorgeous. Wildlife were very visible near the roads.

Durango is much more laid back than the front range---which we like. It's a haul getting there from eastern NE but well worth it.

I haven't done Yellowstone. Have traveled through Durango on several drives to Phoenix. It is a great stopover place, but haven't spent a long period of time there. Hwy 160 is a great drive. I highly recommend a stop at Great Sand Dunes National Park just across the Sangre De Cristo Mountains from Walsenburg. Several miles of sand dunes hundreds of feet high is just something completely different than almost anywhere in the U.S. Stopped there when our kids were upper elementary/middle school, and they loved climbing the dunes and running down them. Except, be prepared, because the walk to the base of the dunes is farther then it looks from the parking lot. Bring water. Also, Mesa Verde National Park to see the cliff dwellings.

Wow, appreciate all the feedback so far. Definitely agree with the 'Bucket List' reference. My oldest will be sophomore in H.S this year and before you know she's off to college and not wanting to be included in family travels. So getting to YSP is a high priority.
Does anyone have any experience staying near Dubois, WY and using the Moran entrance on Hwy 26/287 into Grand Teton NP ? Since this would be a car trip starting in Omaha looking at all options that don't include looping south to Jackson or heading further west into Idaho.
GBR !

If you go in the summer it will be crowded in the popular spots and on some (if not most) of the roads. (Remember there are only 2 seasons in YNP. (Winter and Road Construction Laughing) Depending on what you like to do you can still get away from the crowds. We like to view and photograph wildlife so we end up in some of the more less traveled areas. Cooke City is a great place to stay if this is what you like to do.

I've been to both places. It's a close decision but YNP comes out on top for me. Yosemite Valley is perhaps the most beautiful spot on earth but on a summer weekend day it's one of the most crowded spots as well. Of course there is much more to Yosemite than just the Valley but that is where most want to go and see all the famous spots / sights.

For me it just comes to the overall experience and that is why I'd choose YNP. It has the majestic falls and mountains like Yosemite. (They're just aren't all concentrated in one spot like Yosemite) YPN also has the geysers which are really good to see. (especially for kids) It also has the wildlife that earns it the America's Serengeti title.

If you like to hike both places has that, but Yosemite also has rock climbing / hiking. (Hiking up to the top of Half Dome is spectacular)

You'll really enjoy visiting either place.
good to know. we went to yosemite the day after school got out and I still haven't seen anything quite like it. I thought i was in some far away place not the united states. I look forward to yellowstone but absolutely hate lines of people at national parks. the offseason it is

Yes, Yellowstone is crowded if you go at the wrong times and only stick to the stuff you can see from the road. I give the same advice for Yellowstone that I give for Disneyland...take the kids out of school and go in the off-season, before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. You will have a completely different experience.

I also agree to be careful about where you "base" out of. Wyoming and Montana are big places. If you're not careful, you will spend all of your time driving.
Agree here. My daughter and son-in-law stopped there on their honeymoon. The POPULAR attractions are crowded,in a normal year, but Yellowstone is huge with a ton of secluded area you can find and enjoy them for what they are.... according to them. Personally never been there. Would like to follow the Oregon trail from beginning to end

We would also recommend Yellowstone as well. Our first time there was in 78. Didn't know much about the place, Jackson Hole was just a little town. No reservations, we just showed up, found a nice hotel, lots of places to eat, quaint shops, not much traffic loved the Tetons. Still our favorite place, took our kids there in 88 or so. Now, people talk about making reservations a year in advance. We couldn't believe the difference in Jackson in 10 years, totally different town. You simply cannot go wrong with Yellowstone. We love the trails, waterfalls, geysers and the view from the mountains.

Last edited:
Agree here. My daughter and son-in-law stopped there on their honeymoon. The POPULAR attractions are crowded,in a normal year, but Yellowstone is huge with a ton of secluded area you can find and enjoy them for what they are.... according to them. Personally never been there. Would like to follow the Oregon trail from beginning to end

If you haven't read Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck then you should.

Wow, appreciate all the feedback so far. Definitely agree with the 'Bucket List' reference. My oldest will be sophomore in H.S this year and before you know she's off to college and not wanting to be included in family travels. So getting to YSP is a high priority.
Does anyone have any experience staying near Dubois, WY and using the Moran entrance on Hwy 26/287 into Grand Teton NP ? Since this would be a car trip starting in Omaha looking at all options that don't include looping south to Jackson or heading further west into Idaho.
GBR !
Some of the stuff in the park is not open right now so make sure you know what is and isn't before you head that way. Dubois in to Yellowstone is a "fer piece" IF I remember correctly. Several hours maybe. IMO, that drive up to the Tetons is one of the most beautiful ones you can take. Take time to stop at Jackson Lake Lodge. If it isn't open, there's a picnic area just north of Coulter Bay cabins and marina where you can have lunch and swim if you like cold water. There's also an RV campground I think called Flagg Ranch which is nice on the north end of the lake. The south gate of Yellowstone if I remember correctly is about half an hour north of Coulter Bay. Then depending on construction it's probably at least another half hour to the south end of Yellowstone Lake.

A Yellowstone trip is tough to do "by the seat of your pants", Most of the trips I've taken there we planned in December and had reservations in early January. IF you can stay in the park somewhere it's a HUGE help time wise. The best thing to do is call the 800 number and ask the operator if they have anything available and when and where. You might be able to find a cancellation room for a night. The dining rooms are great in the lodges if they're open. If you want to eat a sit down meal for breakfast and supper, you need reservations at least a day or two in advance. Staying outside the park and trying to see the whole thing requires a huge amount of windshield time. West Yellowstone might be the best base camp if you're going to stay outside the park but I've never done that. Check the road reports for construction. Most cabins and campgrounds do not have showers available. Lots of people swim in the Firehole river down near the geyser basins to freshen up. I've done that once. I think we needed to be in a branch a little closer to where the water poured in from Grand Prismatic. Brrrr.

If you have time, a little wolf and bear watching at one of the pullouts in the Hayden Valley is fun and worth a couple of hours at sunset. People will pull in and set up tripods and spotting scopes hours before sunset to get their spot. I watched a grizzly flip a buffalo carcass over like a rag doll one evening just after sunset there. It was over half a mile away but you could smell the stench when he did it. There's a really nice picnic spot just south of the Yellowstone Falls that is right on the river and extremely nice. We watched about 30 bison cross the river right there one afternoon. The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone if pretty spectacular.

Tower Falls is nice but maybe a little over publicized for what it is. Fairy Falls down near the geysers is a nice day hike and you can wade or freshen up there too. The Blacktail Plateau Trail is a one way dirt road wildlife loop. The one time we did that we didn't see much until right as we got back to the blacktop where we saw a sow and her cubs. It's one way to get away from some of the people without hiking a remote trail. I really don't like to hike too remotely in Yellowstone. They frown on firearms in the park and I normally carry some "bear repellent" when I hike. You know, there's a TON of people there this time of year but it really never detracted too much from how much I enjoyed Yellowstone. It's just so huge and there's so much to see.

take dayton to lovell over the bighorn mountains.
beautiful views up to top.
lots of meadows and beauty, as i recall.
then take us alt 14 to lovell.
if you like a steep traverse.
and i mean steep.

take dayton to lovell over the bighorn mountains.
beautiful views up to top.
lots of meadows and beauty, as i recall.
then take us alt 14 to lovell.
if you like a steep traverse.
and i mean steep.
I prefer the southern route from Buffalo to Ten Sleep past Meadowlark Lake over the Bighorns but Shell Falls is a nice rest break on the northern route. That climb up the east side to Shell falls is beautiful but very steep and winding. I've used both routes and usually would take the southern route 16A to Yellowstone and 14A coming home. I have hiked some in the northern Bighorns but most of the time we've entered from either Lilly lake or West Tensleep Lake.

Reactions: tpmcg
My oldest will be sophomore in H.S this year and before you know she's off to college and not wanting to be included in family travels.

Take heart. I’m about 8-9 years ahead of you with my kids. I have learned that as long as you are going cool places and paying, kids are still happy to come along. Once they hit 21, it becomes a little more expensive, however.

GBR !
They are really very different so it's a matter of what you are looking for. Red Lodge is a long drive up the incredible Beartooth Highway from Yellowstone so I would not recommend making it a base to visit the park. It is a couple hour drive just to the entrance station, let alone the rest of the park. I would recommend staying in the park to fully enjoy the wildlife, geysers, trails, etc without spending hours behind the wheel (insider tip - in summer the crowds die down at around 7 pm while there is still 3 hours of daylight left and you can enjoy the park at it's best). It is an immense park. If you are considering Yellowstone for next year I would book now.
Durango is a great tourist town in Southwest Colorado that you can use as a base to explore the San Juans, Mesa Verde, parts of Utah, etc. There is much more of a city there (restaurants, brew pubs, Durango-Silverton train) with less expensive lodging options. You will be unlikely to see much wildlife, etc in Durango or even the San Juans. The Million Dollar Highway is also an absolute must. I've been to both locations in the past couple years and you won't go wrong either way.

Based on 2020 so far, I’d stay tf away from Yellowstone. That sh*t is gonna erupt and take the entire pack 12, mountain west, and rmac with it
f6BBGRi4KajJs3Fy6

Nebraska is in the “hot ash” zone. Maybe the huskers can play at Pershing if it blows

No kidding. I think I saw the paperback for under$5. Will definitely order a copy of some sort. Thanks again for the suggestion
Let me know what you think. I haven't got any takers yet since I don't really know anyone who is interested in the Oregon Trail other than my dad who has ADD and can't sit still long enough to read a book.

I think theres some good advice on here. Just keep in mind that you will have long days and despite being in the middle of nowhere there will be people and lines. West Yellowstone is often bumper to bumper to get into the park in the morning.

I plan on taking the family to Yellowstone in 2022 when youngest boys are a little older. We did the Florida/Orlando trip a few years back and Yellowstone will be the 2nd and last major trip for the entire family. Trying to decide if I want to go Chevy Chase style and include Glacier.

I concur with DerHusker!

Some of the stuff in the park is not open right now so make sure you know what is and isn't before you head that way. Dubois in to Yellowstone is a "fer piece" IF I remember correctly. Several hours maybe. IMO, that drive up to the Tetons is one of the most beautiful ones you can take. Take time to stop at Jackson Lake Lodge. If it isn't open, there's a picnic area just north of Coulter Bay cabins and marina where you can have lunch and swim if you like cold water. There's also an RV campground I think called Flagg Ranch which is nice on the north end of the lake. The south gate of Yellowstone if I remember correctly is about half an hour north of Coulter Bay. Then depending on construction it's probably at least another half hour to the south end of Yellowstone Lake.

A Yellowstone trip is tough to do "by the seat of your pants", Most of the trips I've taken there we planned in December and had reservations in early January. IF you can stay in the park somewhere it's a HUGE help time wise. The best thing to do is call the 800 number and ask the operator if they have anything available and when and where. You might be able to find a cancellation room for a night. The dining rooms are great in the lodges if they're open. If you want to eat a sit down meal for breakfast and supper, you need reservations at least a day or two in advance. Staying outside the park and trying to see the whole thing requires a huge amount of windshield time. West Yellowstone might be the best base camp if you're going to stay outside the park but I've never done that. Check the road reports for construction. Most cabins and campgrounds do not have showers available. Lots of people swim in the Firehole river down near the geyser basins to freshen up. I've done that once. I think we needed to be in a branch a little closer to where the water poured in from Grand Prismatic. Brrrr.

If you have time, a little wolf and bear watching at one of the pullouts in the Hayden Valley is fun and worth a couple of hours at sunset. People will pull in and set up tripods and spotting scopes hours before sunset to get their spot. I watched a grizzly flip a buffalo carcass over like a rag doll one evening just after sunset there. It was over half a mile away but you could smell the stench when he did it. There's a really nice picnic spot just south of the Yellowstone Falls that is right on the river and extremely nice. We watched about 30 bison cross the river right there one afternoon. The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone if pretty spectacular.

Tower Falls is nice but maybe a little over publicized for what it is. Fairy Falls down near the geysers is a nice day hike and you can wade or freshen up there too. The Blacktail Plateau Trail is a one way dirt road wildlife loop. The one time we did that we didn't see much until right as we got back to the blacktop where we saw a sow and her cubs. It's one way to get away from some of the people without hiking a remote trail. I really don't like to hike too remotely in Yellowstone. They frown on firearms in the park and I normally carry some "bear repellent" when I hike. You know, there's a TON of people there this time of year but it really never detracted too much from how much I enjoyed Yellowstone. It's just so huge and there's so much to see.

I agree with everything here...... except I prefer Gardiner and Mammoth Hot Springs for my base camp on the north side of the park. Leaving the YNP thru the Tetons is a recommendation as well, but it will add an extra day to your adventure.

Reactions: dinglefritz
If you get out of your vehicle and walk 1/2 mile off the road, it can feel like you have the park to yourself in certain places...... Bear spray!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT