ADVERTISEMENT

OT: State Auditor - Oops

This one is obvious and no need for defending it. He may have been doing a great job but he could have been doing an even better job if he wasn't sitting in a bar half the afternoon. Nothing to debate. He was still on the job. He acknowledged it and is seeking professional help. Good for him. Let's get back to football on this site.

This is a set up by the OWH. Chuck is a good guy. He has done his job so well that there is nothing left to do but drink beer.
Yeah after 30 years at the World-Herald, Paul Hammel clearly wants to make a name for himself by taking down a public official who 95% of the population couldn’t pick out of a police lineup. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah after 30 years at the World-Herald, Paul Hammel clearly wants to make a name for himself by taking down a public official who 95% of the population couldn’t pick out of a police lineup. Makes perfect sense.
Anyone that knows Paul realizes that he is a Journalist. It may be a fading profession but his job is to report the facts. It may not be TMZ but you still got the gist of it.

Anyone that knows Paul realizes that he is a Journalist. It may be a fading profession but his job is to report the facts. It may not be TMZ but you still got the gist of it.
I dunno - could be a sinister plot by the liberal media to shift the politics of the state by swinging the all-important race for..... state auditor.

What kinda dude is he? I mean what sort of games is he into... beyond NU? He looks like a Clemson or FSU kinda guy. Probably roots for Clemson cause FSU is down atm

I have a feeling that this dude was doing a good job at work...he was probably getting good reviews and handled the stuff he needed to handle...and like most of us realized how much ****ing downtime he had at work. Most jobs don't in the G'ment/State sector don't really reward you for doing more...usually your career path is pretty well mapped out for you and has more to do with longevity of employment.

My guess is that instead of sitting in his office and dicking around he decided one day to go out for a lunch...then a longer lunch...then a longer lunch...once he realize he wasn't really missed at the office he knew that he could kill time at the bar.

My other guess is that he was still getting all his work done and that it was done well (maybe not, I don't know).

Like someone else posted...no one knows who this guy is or could pick him out of a line up...this is not some amazing "scoop" of a story because no one gives a **** since it seems like this dude didn't mess up anything.

This is a reporter thinking he was cracking some big story but in the end probably just messed up some dudes life all because he saw him at the same freaking bar at the same time of the day that he was there...killing time and "working".

I have a feeling that this dude was doing a good job at work...he was probably getting good reviews and handled the stuff he needed to handle...and like most of us realized how much ****ing downtime he had at work. Most jobs don't in the G'ment/State sector don't really reward you for doing more...usually your career path is pretty well mapped out for you and has more to do with longevity of employment.

My guess is that instead of sitting in his office and dicking around he decided one day to go out for a lunch...then a longer lunch...then a longer lunch...once he realize he wasn't really missed at the office he knew that he could kill time at the bar.

My other guess is that he was still getting all his work done and that it was done well (maybe not, I don't know).

Like someone else posted...no one knows who this guy is or could pick him out of a line up...this is not some amazing "scoop" of a story because no one gives a **** since it seems like this dude didn't mess up anything.

This is a reporter thinking he was cracking some big story but in the end probably just messed up some dudes life all because he saw him at the same freaking bar at the same time of the day that he was there...killing time and "working".
Bingo

The State Auditor's main responsibility is to be mildly interested enough in the job to show up and supervise the career people who work in that office, and who do the tedious but necessary work of auditing the books of an endless stream of state agencies and local government jurisdictions. My guess is that one of the people who works there tipped off the World-Herald to the fact that a man who chose to run for that office, campaigning on the notion that he'd be a tenacious watchdog on the lookout for wasteful government spending, doesn't even have the attention span to spend more than a couple of hours a day at the office.

If there's nothing wrong with dropping by the Capitol around 10 a.m. and staying for an hour or two before meeting your buddies for a few pitchers of beer, then driving back to Fremont in the middle of the afternoon.- then why should anyone be upset with the World-Herald for reporting it? And why did Janssen apologize and acknowledge that the article is accurate? Seems like a strange reaction by someone who's been the victim of a so-called setup.

Reactions: ehenningsen
I work from home 100% of the time. That's one of the reasons I switched jobs. When I started I did some reading and found that pretty much everyone goes through a series of stages when they move from office to home. The next to last stage is the slough off stage where the employee starts thinking "I'll just throw these clothes in the washer" or "I'll just finish watching this TV show" or the like. Virtually every employee goes through that. After 4-6 weeks of that the employee either realizes that he has a problem and snaps back to working properly or continues the down slide. It tends to be based on the employee, not the specific job. I went through that next to last stage, but I snapped out of it and have been working from home productively since 2003.

Perfectly stated. Could not say it better. Another thing not mentioned.... I am sure Brewskys has WiFi. Not to mention that the auditor's computer probably has a data plan. So he could also have been getting work done at the bar. Don't laugh... I did it all the time back in the day as a prof. I would get out of my office at school and head over to a local sports bar, frequented by many people from my school, to grade papers and prep the next day's classes. I found I actually worked better there.

Now was this guy working while at the bar? I don't know. Is he an alcoholic who needs help? I don't know. All I know is that as long as the dude was doing his job and getting his work done I have no issue with where he spent his afternoons so long as it wasn't in his contract that he had to be in his office from 9-5. My goodness, my wife works totally from home as the director of a totally online Masters program. This isn't 1955 anymore people... electronic commuting and distance work are real.

I work from home 100% of the time. That's one of the reasons I switched jobs. When I started I did some reading and found that pretty much everyone goes through a series of stages when they move from office to home. The next to last stage is the slough off stage where the employee starts thinking "I'll just throw these clothes in the washer" or "I'll just finish watching this TV show" or the like. Virtually every employee goes through that. After 4-6 weeks of that the employee either realizes that he has a problem and snaps back to working properly or continues the down slide. It tends to be based on the employee, not the specific job. I went through that next to last stage, but I snapped out of it and have been working from home productively since 2003.
How much time to people waste who actually are at the office, bullshitting with coworkers, surfing the net, and chatting on Rivals? lol. I know when I was in my office I spent most of my time bullshitting with people

Perfectly stated. Could not say it better. Another thing not mentioned.... I am sure Brewskys has WiFi. Not to mention that the auditor's computer probably has a data plan.
That's probably why the article included this:

Reporters who watched the auditor at the bar, however, did not see him taking notes. Mostly, he sipped beer, engaged in conversation and glanced at his cellphone.

Janssen said he does not use a laptop, only his cell phone.

I too get a lot of work done away from the office. Not usually at a bar, but at airports, restaurants that have WiFi, and any number of other places. But there's a difference between working remotely and regularly drinking half the day away because you're too lazy or disinterested to actually work.

Agree with this. Working from home takes discipline, and you need to establish a routine that allows you to focus and avoid distractions. But the same is true when working at an office. If someone is determined to crap the day away and get nothing accomplished, it can happen in either environment. Same is true for someone who is determined to do an honest day's work.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil

Reporters who watched the auditor at the bar, however, did not see him taking notes. Mostly, he sipped beer, engaged in conversation and glanced at his cellphone.

I too get a lot of work done away from the office. Not usually at a bar, but at airports, restaurants that have WiFi, and any number of other places. But there's a difference between working remotely and regularly drinking half the day away because you're too lazy or disinterested to actually work.

I think he said he gets into work at 5am everyday...and then was at the bar at 1 (was that what it said?) If that is the case...well that is "full time" work and I don't use a laptop when I am out of my place of work...I just use my phone

Perfectly stated. Could not say it better. Another thing not mentioned.... I am sure Brewskys has WiFi. Not to mention that the auditor's computer probably has a data plan. So he could also have been getting work done at the bar. Don't laugh... I did it all the time back in the day as a prof. I would get out of my office at school and head over to a local sports bar, frequented by many people from my school, to grade papers and prep the next day's classes. I found I actually worked better there.

Now was this guy working while at the bar? I don't know. Is he an alcoholic who needs help? I don't know. All I know is that as long as the dude was doing his job and getting his work done I have no issue with where he spent his afternoons so long as it wasn't in his contract that he had to be in his office from 9-5. My goodness, my wife works totally from home as the director of a totally online Masters program. This isn't 1955 anymore people... electronic commuting and distance work are real.
Thank you!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I get a kick out of the fake outrage because he is an "elected official" come on...does anyone vote for those spots? What does a state auditor get...300 votes? By voters who are literally just voting to vote and have never heard of the person and/or position

But like I said, let the gaslighting begin. He got over 90,000 votes, btw.

Lol. So it was just a lot of long liquid lunches I guess. I missed that in the article.

I get a kick out of the fake outrage because he is an "elected official" come on...does anyone vote for those spots? What does a state auditor get...300 votes? By voters who are literally just voting to vote and have never heard of the person and/or position
I'm sure a decent portion of voters who paid even a little bit of attention to the news before he was elected state auditor knew who he was based on the immigration legislation he put forward... and for proposing to his future wife on the unicameral floor.

I'm sure a decent portion of voters who paid even a little bit of attention to the news before he was elected state auditor knew who he was based on the immigration legislation he put forward... and for proposing to his future wife on the unicameral floor.

Maybe...I would still guess well under 50%. But I bet proposing like that helped him.

You really want to believe. Gotta give you that.

Word was that he was going after the city of Omaha firefighters and police for how they were using state funds.

Wow those unions are really sneaky. First they enticed Janssen to drink the afternoon away day after day after day, then they got the Omaha World-Herald - a union luvin' liberal rag if there ever was one - to follow him around.

To top it off, they even got him to issue a public apology stating that the OWH article is accurate. They don't mess around.

Wow those unions are really sneaky. First they enticed Janssen to drink the afternoon away day after day after day, then they got the Omaha World-Herald - a union luvin' liberal rag if there ever was one - to follow him around.

To top it off, they even got him to issue a public apology stating that the OWH article is accurate. They don't mess around.

Well...they are sneaky and clearly I get you are joking about the "set up" but also clearly we all know those unions are horrible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT