ADVERTISEMENT

OT: State Auditor - Oops

BigRedPimp

All-American
Sep 5, 2006
So the World Herald has a reporter follow the State Auditor for 20 days and for 10 of those days he’s spending up to 3 hours during the day at Brewsky’s on 16th & South drinking.

Job pays $85K/year. Nice gig if you can get it on taxpayer dime.

So the World Herald has a reporter follow the State Auditor for 20 days and for 10 of those days he’s spending up to 3 hours during the day at Brewsky’s on 16th & South drinking.

Job pays $85K/year. Nice gig if you can get it on taxpayer dime.

At least now they know where they can find him when he's "away." Laughing

The motherf#@%& are the ones that turn $2 variances into thousands of dollars in penalties.

An oldie but a goodie:

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

Not being snarky here, honestly curious: What is it you'd like to do with your life?
Spend more time with Family and Friends and volunteer more of my time helping others that are worse off than me. Live more work less...there's a thousand reasons why one would want to work towards a very attainable goal of lessening the workload on society. I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would resist such a movement?

Last edited:
A perfect time to address this 40+ hour work week B.S.

I'm 31 and completely fried on the monotony of the daily grind...maybe if I knew retirement was actually achievable and didn't have to slave my best years away to get to it, things would make a little more sense
Go back to mama’s basement?

That's totally irrelevant...if you like working your life away then you're part of the problem.

I’m part of the problem because I worked hard to get where I’m at with my job, enjoy my job, including the many years of 40+ hours a week, and am proud of the work that I do to support myself and my family now and for the future? Sorry I guess? Someday maybe you’ll grow up to understand what being an adult, husband, and father means I guess. Today is certainly not that day though.

I don’t know about most people with office jobs but my days were close to panick working to meet deadlines and improve our business efficiency (a Fortune 5 company). I think your management is asleep at the switch.

Retirement is fabulous with 10 hours a week tennis, golf three times a week, and dance lessons. But I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t produce for 34 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Spend more time with Family and Friends and volunteer more of my time helping others that are worse off than me. Live more work less...there's a thousand reasons why one would want to work towards a very attainable goal of lessening the workload on society. I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would resist such a movement?

Where do you expect the money to come from for you to live on while you do all of this?

It's definitely different for everyone, but find a job you enjoy doing and the 40 hours might not seem so bad. I'm salaried and have worked many 80+ hour weeks, but it was also not that bad because I loved being where I was at. Life events and other things can change that, and they have for me, but I think the biggest thing if you are tired of the hours is to find something you truly like to do.

What is the "workload on society," who sets that workload, and how do you go about lessening it?

Most people work because they have bills to pay. Some of those bills are not within their control, but most are. When people decide that their "starter home" must have a 3-car garage, granite counter tops and a bathroom for each person in the family, the need to work expands. When everyone needs a smart phone with unlimited data, the need to work expands. When driving a car that's more than 5 years old cramps one's style, the need to work expands.

Don't get me wrong, I too have some crap that I don't really need. But when I see the spending habits of people who don't have half my income, and then I hear them complaining about not being able to get ahead or ever achieve retirement, it's not really a mystery how they came to find themselves in that situation. I don't know you, so perhaps none of this applies. But if people in general are feeling more and more enslaved, it might have a lot more to do with spending habits than some outside, unnamed force.

A perfect time to address this 40+ hour work week B.S.

I'm 31 and completely fried on the monotony of the daily grind...maybe if I knew retirement was actually achievable and didn't have to slave my best years away to get to it, things would make a little more sense
If you're grinding the best years of your life away, then retirement in your future should be no problem.

I'm in my mid 40's and understand that from where you are, life stretches ahead of you in a seemingly endless stream of un-rewarding 40 hour weeks. All I can say is I felt very similar at 30, like "is this it? This is my life?" I don't have the answer for you, but personally I worked hard, changed jobs several times, and eventually reached an income where the work weeks seemed worth it. I get more of a reward from the people I work with than from the work itself. The next 20 years seem very short all of a sudden, and the reward of retirement is something that seems like a worthy goal.

What's stopping you from doing these things? And why does it bother you that some of us like to work a lot?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is precisely the problem, people who have worked their ass off, know and want it no other way for future generations.
What's preventing future generations from working as hard or as little as they want?

With the coming automation of more and more jobs, they will likely have to reduce the work hour week considerably to make it so there are enough jobs to go around. I've heard proposals of a 16 hour work week. Basically, 4 hour days, with a 3 day weekend.

Reactions: chrsmneric
I don't mind working...if someone wanted to pay me the same amount to not work, I would take that deal just like all of us would...I would find find some other stuff to do.

I don't plan on actually ever retiring but I have long Xmas breaks and summers off.

Reactions: Yossarian23
My thing is, I’ve tried to find something that I felt gave me time with my family, and still paid what we needed.

Most people say do something you enjoy, I seem to rather work so I can enjoy what my family does.

It would be great to retire early, but barring a lottery win, or suing for too hot of McDonald’s coffee, I’ll be one of them retiring in my 60’s.

Just make sure you find something that gets you ahead and enough time to enjoy the real life.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I like your input, it only bothers me when someone who likes to work, calls someone who doesn't see the logic in our system lazy. I work my ass off, I just don't see why we emphasize work over life. I feel like there's much more to life.
Well work is apart of life. That's just the way it is. Until AI can do everything for us, it will always be that way.

I probably average 55 hours per week and I don't think I emphasize work over life.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Would you feel any different if you made lot more money? I'm not saying this is you, but I've noticed young people seem to want "it all" right away without the struggle. I spent a solid 15 years doing the slog before I realized much in the way of income or savings. I just think for the most part life is simple, if you are smart and work hard you can get ahead. I started with way less than nothing (debt) so I feel I get to have an opinion on this.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Healthcare, unnecessary taxation, greed...
Healtcare: How many hours should one have to work in order to gain health insurance? Or should we be on a universal health plan (which, how do you pay for it then)?

Taxation: While I believe the less gov't spending / less taxation is better, I don't believe many are working extra hard because they're over taxed.

Greed: Wouldn't it be greedy to not want to work a lot, but still obtain all of the great benefits if you were to work a lot?

Unless you all have the day off like I do, it seems like you all are spending much of your work day today posting on an Internet message board. Pretty hard to complain about a job that gives you the time to do that. Think about the guys who spend all day doing manual labor.

Last edited:
You speak as if work is evil. Work is what gives many a sense of accomplishment. Work is fulfilling and there is evidence that people who work longer live longer and keep their minds sharper.

Young people don't "want it all." They want an inflation-adjusted wage and a 40 hour work week with time and a half for OT and a retirement fund like what people got back in the 70s. Were people in the 50s 60s and 60s entitled because they got all that?

And we recognize that most office jobs now have zero requirement for you to be at the office to get the work done because the internet exists. We also recognize the MULTIPLE studies that show your productivity drops off after a certain number of hours worked in the week. You'd get more productivity for your labor wage by working fresh people fewer days a week but let's not let facts get in the way of shitting on "young people."

Yeah, of course I wanna work from home, what difference does it make if my laptop sits on my work desk or sits on my home desk while I work in Word and Excel and Outlook?

You can save a ton on commuting costs and office space overhead if you embrace that, but God forbid we not do it the way you did it when your employer was shitty to you...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT