ADVERTISEMENT

OT Sorta: Penn State vs Neb football. A little long...

Dble E

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2002
I am in banking technology sales and I cover Pennsylvania for my sales territory.

I was at a large community bank yesterday meeting with the CEO and his staff. The CEO happens to mention he's a big Penn State fan when I tell him I am from Omaha, NE. He went on to ask me if I am a Husker fan and I say "Of course." He also goes on to tell me that he played football at PSU in the late seventies and early eighties. We have a nice friendly banter about the teams.

Kind of a funny moment was when I asked him if he thought the PSU player was out of bounds in 1982 and I made mention of the fact it cost the Huskers a National Championship due to that horrendous call. He clearly felt the PSU player was in bounds and kidded with me that Husker fans all got it wrong and we should "get over it". I politely disagree with him in a friendly way as I still need the guy to buy from me. He went on to say that if anyone stole a championship it was NU in 1994 when both teams were undefeated but people felt sorry for TO. I politely again disagreed.

During one of our breaks I told him about the time I met Kerry Collins(PSU QB in 1994) at the San Francisco airport and I also asked him about the 1994 teams playing each other and how Kerry not surprisingly agreed with him. Again all in good fun. The bank president said jokingly you picked two pretty big dudes to kid around with about PSU football. We all had a good laugh. Very cool guy and a great sense of humor.

It was very friendly and was actually like a couple "buddies" shooting the breeze about football. He did say he has a lot of respect for Nebraska. He referenced the game in Happy Valley when NU and PSU knelt at the center of the field after the whole "incident" at PSU.

He said he loved playing in Lincoln and was one of his favorite places to play. Apparently his parents went to all his games and his parents say they loved Lincoln as well. He did mention he doesn't get the whole clap for teams that beat you thing but he gets the fact that Lincoln is a special place. Clearly he has a lot of respect for the Huskers.

Probably not very interesting to you all but it was kind of a neat moment to hear someone that played at PSU say basically good things about NU and had a sense of humor about a couple key moments in the rivalry.

This post was edited on 3/26 1:50 PM by Dble E

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News