ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So you want to be the Husker golf coach ?

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
So Nebraska has an opening for a mens head golf coach. Current coach leaving for Missouri job.
As golf coach, what do you do to have a program that can consistently finish in the top half ( good to have goals, right?) of the conference.
Stay bogey free boys and girls.
GBR!

Might help to have an actual home course, (and maybe be in Florida, Arizona, or California)

Might help to have an actual home course, (and maybe be in Florida, Arizona, or California)
Played a few rounds at K stank’s home course, Colbert Hills. One of the most beautiful, challenging courses I’ve ever played. Don’t our boys frequent Firethorn?

So Nebraska has an opening for a mens head golf coach. Current coach leaving for Missouri job.
As golf coach, what do you do to have a program that can consistently finish in the top half ( good to have goals, right?) of the conference.
GBR!

D1 men’s golf is difficult to compete if you are not a historical power. Kind of like the SEC in football, the majority of the top national prospects gravitate to the traditional powers and it has been very difficult to break that pattern. Most of the prominent programs have their recruiting classes committed 2-3 years in advance, which means high school freshmen and sophomores have already committed. In golf, generally, the junior players continue to get even better until they graduate high school (unlike football sometimes where players peak athletically early on but don’t improve). The key is to identify players to get interested in Nebraska at an early age who are good players and have them progress to great players. The next key is to find enough of those types of players to fill the roster for spots 1-5 in each tournament. It also helps to have rapport and be respectful to the roster members.

The comment about how easy it is to be a golf coach reminds me of another I read on another forum where a person was saying that being a pro athlete was not really that difficult. All one needed was above average hand eye coordination and a stronger work ethic. Needless to say, this person got totally hammered by people who had played college sports. Some people think everything was easy. As I used to tell my tech college students when they told me now hard something was to do, I said, "if it was easy, the customer would have done it himself."

D1 men’s golf is difficult to compete if you are not a historical power. Kind of like the SEC in football, the majority of the top national prospects gravitate to the traditional powers and it has been very difficult to break that pattern. Most of the prominent programs have their recruiting classes committed 2-3 years in advance, which means high school freshmen and sophomores have already committed. In golf, generally, the junior players continue to get even better until they graduate high school (unlike football sometimes where players peak athletically early on but don’t improve). The key is to identify players to get interested in Nebraska at an early age who are good players and have them progress to great players. The next key is to find enough of those types of players to fill the roster for spots 1-5 in each tournament. It also helps to have rapport and be respectful to the roster members.
Liberty, AR Little Rock, East TN and San Francisco made it this year. No where near powerhouse golf colleges.

Last edited:
if my comment was taken seriously, it was not a serious comment.
hope that helps.

GBR!

Men's head golf coach just announced yesterday. Went to Brett Balak, who was the assistant coach for the past 2 years. That opens up the assistant position.

I have been trying to nab the golf position at my school and of course no one wants to give it up. Easy coaching gig, get to play golf (not as much in the past where the coaches actually played the courses before the players went out) and get to miss a ton of school.

My buddy did boys and girls golf at his HS. He got sick of it after about 10 years but he used those coaching stipends to pay off his house in about 15 years.

the-smoking-hot-paige-spiranac-202001-1579589267.jpg

I would coach the holy hell out of the women's team and consider it a pleasure to do so.

That has not been an emphasis in the past. Mostly 500 mile radius kids, and then with prior staff they hit the JUCO ranks as well (and transfers).

My post was a poor attempt at a joke. I was referring to the Spanish subtitles on the Caddy Shack clip.

My post was a poor attempt at a joke. I was referring to the Spanish subtitles on the Caddy Shack clip.
You are not too far off on your joke. Many D1 programs load up on foreign players. Most come from south of the border and Europe.

Golf is an addiction...BAD golf is an affliction...I know both.
I think I’ve all but completely quit golf. I’ve played a lot of golf over the years…. was at my peak 3 years ago and can’t hit my irons to save my life this year. I don’t enjoy bad golf and the game has lost its fun factor for me.

Men's head golf coach just announced yesterday. Went to Brett Balak, who was the assistant coach for the past 2 years. That opens up the assistant position.
Comes from a good family, his dad ran the Schuyler golf course for many years. Wish him the best of luck, hope he gets it rolling.

Mark Hankins made 137k last year -
I'm a horrible golfer (But played in HS) but would do it for about half that.

I wonder what other perks you would get?

1. Do any of the coaches from other sports get pressbox access premium seats?
2. Do the golfers get access to the training table?

Mark Hankins made 137k last year -
I'm a horrible golfer (But played in HS) but would do it for about half that.

I wonder what other perks you would get?

1. Do any of the coaches from other sports get pressbox access premium seats?
2. Do the golfers get access to the training table?
Yes and yes.

Then if they want to side hustle and do camps/lessons they can do that too.

They can use the weight room and nutrition staff as well.

ADVERTISEMENT