ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So tell me about T replacement therapy

I'm 50 and was talking to this guy (42) the other day, he's telling me to get tested and get on the Testosterone replacement therapy thing.

I don't have any real issues, everything downstairs works, just not as often as it used to, and am usually worn out by 5pm, so energy level is still okay, but it's faded some.

This guy is telling me it solves a whole lot of things, and says it's like being a new man again. Sex drive like when young, recovery from exercise, keeping weight off, more strength, more energy, just all around.

This raises my eyebrows, and now I'm interested.

What are the risks, rewards etc.. ??

Just kind of want to hear other's experiences too.

Not a thread for arguments please.

Thanks!
Good luck, see my response above.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Last year I had my blood analyzed and inc in that was a testosterone level count...Mine was great, absolutely nothing wrong and on the high side even for somebody who's 50 at that time, but the lady who checked it and read my results still coached me on how to get replacement therapy and what to say if I still wanted it. Now color me skeptical, but after that visit I thought to myself...I wonder just how legit this industry really is. Now are there people who are low and need help, sure, but color me skeptical we really have a need for this many clinics after what I experienced.
For many dudes its any easy legal loophole to get pharmaceutical grade anabolic steroids.

Reactions: Chuck003
My doc prescribed the little tubes of testosterone that you smeared on your upper body it worked however studies showed it can cause strokes and heart attacks and he quit prescribing it. Haven’t gone back to taking any type of T replacement and my numbers are low.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNewNU
Get a new Doctor in my opinion, a link between test and heart attacks has NEVER been proven.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/testosterone-and-the-heart
Did you read the whole article chump? Obviously not. Some men appear to have a higher risk of cardiac problems, blood clots (stroke potentially), enlarged breasts, swollen extremities etc. I've got a doctorate in a medical field and read scientific journal articles frequently. BTW, I didn't open your link to read the article. I don't post or open links on here. Anybody who opens a link on this site is living dangerously.

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
Just move the bed about 4 inches away from the wall and make sure you can make it slap up against the wall. I guarantee that noise coupled with maybe a couple of timely "oh yeahs" will make them leave quickly.
“Let the boy watch” - Will Ferrell In eastbound and down. Classic scene , wish I knew how to embed it

Did you read the whole article chump? Obviously not. Some men appear to have a higher risk of cardiac problems, blood clots (stroke potentially), enlarged breasts, swollen extremities etc. I've got a doctorate in a medical field and read scientific journal articles frequently. BTW, I didn't open your link to read the article. I don't post or open links on here. Anybody who opens a link on this site is living dangerously.
Thanks for the insult, yes I read every word. Every therapy has side effects, every drug has side effects. Test. therapy should be managed by a knowledgeable physician and the patient has responsibilities as well. Get a baseline health status, get labs every 3 months, give blood regularly, and D/C Test./ therpay if you have negative side effects.

Nothing is perfect. "Some men appear" is not a reason in my opinion, to cast off the opportunity to feel better, be more active, have a much higher quality of life. It is worth the research, and I respect your decision to not partake in the therapy, without insulting you.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Thanks for the insult, yes I read every word. Every therapy has side effects, every drug has side effects. Test. therapy should be managed by a knowledgeable physician and the patient has responsibilities as well. Get a baseline health status, get labs every 3 months, give blood regularly, and D/C Test./ therpay if you have negative side effects.

Nothing is perfect. "Some men appear" is not a reason in my opinion, to cast off the opportunity to feel better, be more active, have a much higher quality of life. It is worth the research, and I respect your decision to not partake in the therapy, without insulting you.
There are more studies out there as to the risks of testosterone therapy. Most I've read found a link between testosterone therapy and a higher rate of heart attacks, stroke, high blood pressure, blood clots and stimulation of prostate cancer among other things. One actually found a remission of prostrate cancer in one patient. It isn't cut and dried BUT the majority of studies make instituting testosterone therapy because you feel listless seem pretty silly. I would be absolutely pissed if my insurance company paid for somebody to get testosterone therapy and there is NO way in hell Medicare of Medicaid should be paying for it. Ultimately the rest of us have to pay in higher premiums or taxes.

Last edited:
There are more than studies out there as to the risks of testosterone therapy. Most I've read found a link between testosterone therapy and a higher rate of heart attacks, stroke, high blood pressure, blood clots and stimulation of prostate cancer among other things. One actually found a remission of prostrate cancer in one patient. It isn't cut and dried BUT the majority of studies make instituting testosterone therapy because you feel listless seem pretty silly. I would be absolutely pissed if my insurance company paid for somebody to get testosterone therapy and there is NO way in hell Medicare of Medicaid should be paying for it. Ultimately the rest of us have to pay in higher premiums or taxes.
TRT isnt a blip on the radar in terms of a major risk factor for heart disease, the number 1 killer in America. You want premiums to go down incentivize people to lose some weight, quit smoking and drinking, and eat their vegetables.

Last edited:
Reactions: footnfan1
TRT is like any other medication. It has side effects. One of the big s

TRT isnt a blip on the radar in terms of a major risk factor for heart disease, the number 1 killer in America. You want premiums to go down incentivize people to lose some weight, quit smoking and drinking, and eat their vegetables.
Likewise IF you're lethargic perhaps you need to get off your fat ass and go do something instead of injecting a hormone of questionable benefit to regain your youthful vigor. Get more sleep. Watch less TV. Lose weight. Eat less sugar. All of those will do more for you than getting Testosterone injections.

Reactions: leodisflowers
There are more than studies out there as to the risks of testosterone therapy. Most I've read found a link between testosterone therapy and a higher rate of heart attacks, stroke, high blood pressure, blood clots and stimulation of prostate cancer among other things. One actually found a remission of prostrate cancer in one patient. It isn't cut and dried BUT the majority of studies make instituting testosterone therapy because you feel listless seem pretty silly. I would be absolutely pissed if my insurance company paid for somebody to get testosterone therapy and there is NO way in hell Medicare of Medicaid should be paying for it. Ultimately the rest of us have to pay in higher premiums or taxes.
On the insurance point we agree completely. I would like to see links to the data showing a link to physician managed Test. therapy causing higher rate of heart attacks, stroke, high blood pressure, blood clots and stimulation of prostate cancer

I'm 50 and was talking to this guy (42) the other day, he's telling me to get tested and get on the Testosterone replacement therapy thing.

I don't have any real issues, everything downstairs works, just not as often as it used to, and am usually worn out by 5pm, so energy level is still okay, but it's faded some.

This guy is telling me it solves a whole lot of things, and says it's like being a new man again. Sex drive like when young, recovery from exercise, keeping weight off, more strength, more energy, just all around.

Thanks!

I think it important to understand men rarely lived past 35 for most of human history. Their testosterone levels were very important from 15-28 in terms of beating off rivals, enemies, and predators. But the reality is men started having offspring at 15 and their offspring were ready to take up the slack by the time the older man was supposed to be losing testosterone. This is healthy for a human group as you do not want your aging men killing the young men, nor stealing the young woman and then dying at 35 because their knees are bad. Our bodies fall apart for a reason and we equalize with the other sex for a vast majority of our lives. We are little different for the first 12 years, and last 40. It is disservice to men that we minimize sustainable traits like caring, empathy, sacrifice while maximizing traits that require maximum testosterone. Boys are trained to fight, play sports, compete and kill and then they lose the chemical ability to do so at an extremely young age. Suicide rates are through the roof for men struggling with this dynamic of being raised to be a certain way but not having the physical capacity to do it. Woman, friends, and parents just push the narrative although there is no biological basis for a 50 year old man to act anything like a 25 year old man.

Reactions: SkerinDallas
Yeah I’d rather be fat drunk and stupid and be alive at 70 and run the risk of clogged arteries than hgh injections
Well you might just have a stroke, be unable to drink anything without it running out of your mouth, be fat and confined to a wheelchair with other people having to wipe your ass....yeah HGH and testosterone therapy sounds like a worthwhile risk to me.:oops:

I think it important to understand men rarely lived past 35 for most of human history. Their testosterone levels were very important from 15-28 in terms of beating off rivals, enemies, and predators. But the reality is men started having offspring at 15 and their offspring were ready to take up the slack by the time the older man was supposed to be losing testosterone. This is healthy for a human group as you do not want your aging men killing the young men, nor stealing the young woman and then dying at 35 because their knees are bad. Our bodies fall apart for a reason and we equalize with the other sex for a vast majority of our lives. We are little different for the first 12 years, and last 40. It is disservice to men that we minimize sustainable traits like caring, empathy, sacrifice while maximizing traits that require maximum testosterone. Boys are trained to fight, play sports, compete and kill and then they lose the chemical ability to do so at an extremely young age. Suicide rates are through the roof for men struggling with this dynamic of being raised to be a certain way but not having the physical capacity to do it. Woman, friends, and parents just push the narrative although there is no biological basis for a 50 year old man to act anything like a 25 year old man.

Where...where the heck do you live? Or...when do you live?

I get what you are saying but...come on. Ha

Thanks!
I was listening to Doctor Radio and a number of physicians were calling in after a question was made by a man that was interested in t-replacement. The positive effects are immediate but the long term negative effects are severe (infertility, enlarged breasts, acne, etc). It's best to leave hormones alone and rely on natural methods of improving one's health (exercise alone actually increases testosterone levels).

Reactions: WHCSC and NikkiSixx
I was listening to Doctor Radio and a number of physicians were calling in after a question was made by a man that was interested in t-replacement. The positive effects are immediate but the long term negative effects are severe (infertility, enlarged breasts, acne, etc). It's best to leave hormones alone and rely on natural methods of improving one's health (exercise alone actually increases testosterone levels).
I am not sure how some of the clinics get away with their claims in their radio ads on 590 in Omaha. Some gullible people think they can take a shot or a pill and regain their youth.

I am not sure how some of the clinics get away with their claims in their radio ads on 590 in Omaha. Some gullible people think they can take a shot or a pill and regain their youth.
Because it's helped a ton of men. People have been taking anabolic steroids since the 1930s. I would venture to say they are including people who are abusing AAS to juke the stats. Sure if youre on a hardcore cycle pumping in all sorts of hormones and messing with insulin levels youre not gonna live long. But if Test is so dangerous as you assert why are guys like Arnold Schwarzeneggar Lou Ferrigno Sly Stallone and Frank Zane still going strong? Because steroids arent dangerous when taken properly.

Because it's helped a ton of men. People have been taking anabolic steroids since the 1930s. I would venture to say they are including people who are abusing AAS to juke the stats. Sure if youre on a hardcore cycle pumping in all sorts of hormones and messing with insulin levels youre not gonna live long. But if Test is so dangerous as you assert why are guys like Arnold Schwarzeneggar Lou Ferrigno Sly Stallone and Frank Zane still going strong? Because steroids arent dangerous when taken properly.

Body builders seem to have figured it out, how to use/cycle them properly. Some clearly go over the top still but I think for the most part they seem to know what they are doing.

Body builders seem to have figured it out, how to use/cycle them properly. Some clearly go over the top still but I think for the most part they seem to know what they are doing.
The untold story is how many have problems and end up dying an early death. Psychological issues is one problem with hormone use. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is another in addition to all of the aforementioned potential side effects. They can do whatever they want if it's legally obtained. I don't care if Joe Schmoe wants to do it but I would never want my loved ones to use testosterone treatments. I've taken doctoral level pharmacology and physiology classes. You're playing with fire when you use testosterone or HGH. The potential for lethal side effects is real.

Thanks!
Some others have posted good insight on some natural methods. I can attest, this worked for me ( better diet, high-intensity strength training). Also use natural supplements: Tribulus, Fenugreek and L- Citruline. It was a very gradual process but went from low 300's to consistently around 900-950. It was a lot of hard work and lifestyle change, but was worth it. I also have thyroid problems, so have been working against a stacked deck for awhile. It all depends on your goal, and how much work or lifestyle changes you put in.

Sometimes, ED and fatigue isn't necessarily low T. Could be precursors to heart problems or the Wilford Brimley version of the Diabeetus.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Same thing bodybuilders use. However they use a much higher dose. Don't abuse it, you will be fine. Most of the Husker players on the 90's National Champion teams are in their forties and seem to be doing OK.

Same thing bodybuilders use. However they use a much higher dose. Don't abuse it, you will be fine. Most of the Husker players on the 90's National Champion teams are in their forties and seem to be doing OK.

The bodybuilding issue, like you said with the doses, also has to do with the diet and strain they put on their body. Those guys kill themselves.

They "nautral" ones, that still use but not like a crazy person, seem fine.

Reactions: Chuck003

Thanks!
Personally I wouldn't trust hormone therapy unless it absolutely was necessary to survive. I think there can be serious medical side effects - some known and some still unknown.

Has the OP tried Nugenix? Trust me, she'll like the difference too.

3748192263_a2d2de6ef6.jpg

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
ADVERTISEMENT