ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Skilled Nursing/Rehab

LightningJack

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2002
Hey guys, help me out. Long story short, my mom's leg got busted. She needs short term skilled nursing/rehab somewhere in the Omaha area. Probably get 30 days with insurance, then we may have to pay 4-8 weeks out of pocket. Some places run 12K a month and that's out. We can do 6 - 8K for 2 months then were tapped. She's late 70's, needs 8-12 weeks non-weight bearing then some rehab.

Anybody recommend a place they've been or had someone at that's not crazy expensive. We don't need top end, just hoping for decent with what we can afford. If they take Credit Cards that would be a plus but not a deal breaker.

Thanks

Hey guys, help me out. Long story short, my mom's leg got busted. She needs short term skilled nursing/rehab somewhere in the Omaha area. Probably get 30 days with insurance, then we may have to pay 4-8 weeks out of pocket. Some places run 12K a month and that's out. We can do 6 - 8K for 2 months then were tapped. She's late 70's, needs 8-12 weeks non-weight bearing then some rehab.

Anybody recommend a place they've been or had someone at that's not crazy expensive. We don't need top end, just hoping for decent with what we can afford. If they take Credit Cards that would be a plus but not a deal breaker.

Thanks
Sorry about the situ with your mom, LJ. My family recently had a similar need and used Hillcrest in Millard. Don't know exact costs, but full recovery was made and no Covid, so that's a plus. Just giving you an idea to research.

Good luck to you and your family.

P.S. Maybe consider taking the $10 you spend to post on this free board and put it towards the bill to care for your mother.

- TINP

My grandmother did a 100 or so night stint at Brookstone Meadows in Elkhorn. We had a good experience with them. Granted it was pre Covid.

Reactions: LightningJack
So I am the POA for my 90+ year old aunt. About 5yrs ago she spent some months at Ambassador, 72nd and Seward, mainly because she originally owned a home a few blocks from there and was familiar with it.
She did okay there.
Best of luck to you.

No help for places in Omaha. At this exact moment I am putting my 90+ year old father in assisted living. We have been through all sorts of rehabs the past few years.

I am a little surprised her doc hasn't said exactly what she can and cannot get with medicare. Often they will assign a social worker to her case and they can tell you what and how long she qualifies for. I have been through multiple different hospitals and rehabs and it all falls into place but started with the doctor. Pretty much after that, the insurance was pretty well set and it worked out.

Best of luck with this. I empathized with you.

I am a physical therapist in a skilled nursing facility. Does your mother have Medicare? Under A with a 3 qualifying hospital stay first 20 days are free and then a 20% co-pay for up to 100 days. I believe 20% at our facility is like 180/day. Idk what your mothers prior level or what kind of environment she would return to but not all our patients need to be in a facility for the duration of nwbing period. If ur mother’s cognition is intact and there is not a massive amount of stairs or an extremely small space that does not lend itself to adaptive equipment. Then receive home health services. Just saying ability could discta

Thanks

No help for places in Omaha. At this exact moment I am putting my 90+ year old father in assisted living. We have been through all sorts of rehabs the past few years.

I am a little surprised her doc hasn't said exactly what she can and cannot get with medicare. Often they will assign a social worker to her case and they can tell you what and how long she qualifies for. I have been through multiple different hospitals and rehabs and it all falls into place but started with the doctor. Pretty much after that, the insurance was pretty well set and it worked out.

Best of luck with this. I empathized with you.
Sorry to hear about pops. My dad has been in a home for 1.5 years now, sux not beeing able to see him right now.

My mom has a case worker calling around for her, I'm just trying to be proactive a little bit. She's in a funny place right with her leg jacked up. I believe they are just trying to prepare us that we might have to pay for care for a bit. She can't put any weight on the leg for 8-12 weeks. In that time if she doesn't make "progress" Medicare won't pay. Hard to make progress when you can't put any weight on your leg? !#@$^ Medicare will pay after she makes progress, but that will be after she puts weight on it.

She gets 30 days, has a BCBS Rider. But this will determine if she walks again and in what capacity. We would rather she stay in a place for 90 days to give her the best chance at this. If she came home after 30 days, I don't know we could care for her in the best way. She's on board going to therapy.

I am a physical therapist in a skilled nursing facility. Does your mother have Medicare? Under A with a 3 qualifying hospital stay first 20 days are free and then a 20% co-pay for up to 100 days. I believe 20% at our facility is like 180/day. Idk what your mothers prior level or what kind of environment she would return to but not all our patients need to be in a facility for the duration of nwbing period. If ur mother’s cognition is intact and there is not a massive amount of stairs or an extremely small space that does not lend itself to adaptive equipment. Then receive home health services. Just saying ability could discta
That is what we were told. She has a BCBS rider and gets 30 days. She had a hip replacement redo, leg was fractured in four spots and has 7 cables around it. Non weight bearing 8-12 weeks, I guess they're thinking it might be hard for her to show progress. If she can't put weight on it, then Medicare wouldn't pay for a period of time 4-6 weeks. MY mom is nuttier than a fruit cake, but has all her marbles.

We took care of her for 4 weeks after her 1st hip replacement. She did good the first two, then broke her leg. Somewhere along the way this happened, she never fell or tripped. She just has really soft porous bones. (I know what your thinking, we thought it too. We just don't know what happened) If she only has one shot at this, I want to give her the best chance to walk again. They can't do any sort of surgery again, is my understanding. Trying to do this at home I suppose is feasible, but we did our best and she still got hurt :(

Thanks,

Sorry to hear about your mom. Five years ago my Mom had to have a hip revision surgery and had a hard time find a place that was covered under her Medicare Part B in Omaha. Hopefully things have improved since then - the places at that time that were under her specific Part B plan were not all that great. She ended up at ???? (can't remember the name), had internal bleeding and was rushed to Methodist. Fortunately she survived and was able to go to Lakeside to recuperate. We were very happy with her care at that place. I know that since that time the whole insurance/hospital thing in Omaha has changed - I think the place is now under CHI. I know that we had a very hard time finding a place that would take her insurance and my sister spent a lot of time working her contacts to try to find a place for Mom.

In terms of functional progress generally speaking max progress is being able to maintain non weight bearing for transfers independently and getting from point A to point B in wheelchair. For some mastery of nwbing takes days, others weeks, some never. But yes when a patient is waiting for bones to heal and doctors to clear them for weight bearing it is easy to max out at that level
That is what we were told. She has a BCBS rider and gets 30 days. She had a hip replacement redo, leg was fractured in four spots and has 7 cables around it. Non weight bearing 8-12 weeks, I guess they're thinking it might be hard for her to show progress. If she can't put weight on it, then Medicare wouldn't pay for a period of time 4-6 weeks. MY mom is nuttier than a fruit cake, but has all her marbles.

We took care of her for 4 weeks after her 1st hip replacement. She did good the first two, then broke her leg. Somewhere along the way this happened, she never fell or tripped. She just has really soft porous bones. (I know what your thinking, we thought it too. We just don't know what happened) If she only has one shot at this, I want to give her the best chance to walk again. They can't do any sort of surgery again, is my understanding. Trying to do this at home I suppose is feasible, but we did our best and she still got hurt :(

Thanks,

Reactions: LightningJack
In terms of functional progress generally speaking max progress is being able to maintain non weight bearing for transfers independently and getting from point A to point B in wheelchair. For some mastery of nwbing takes days, others weeks, some never. But yes when a patient is waiting for bones to heal and doctors to clear them for weight bearing it is easy to max out at that level
I see what your saying there. My mom has the deck stacked against her. The right hip/leg got repaired, she also needs her right knee replaced and a reverse shoulder replacement on the right side. She's had the left side done, but she's 24 years on the left knee and it'll need something too I guess in the near future.

I would love for her to get the whole 100 days out of Medicare, not knowing what kind of Atrophy her leg will have till she can get some weight on it. You can see why I want her to get as much skilled nursing as possible next few months.

Hell my sister needs her other knee done and I one too. I think we inherited her lousy joints.

ADVERTISEMENT