ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Simone Biles out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Did you ever study about PTSD? I have no idea what happened to her today, but to downplay her background is frankly stunning given that you say you have a degree in psychology.

So how did she win before? Maybe try using your brain for once.
What experience do you have running a nation? Hell a city, shoot even a company? Yet I bet you have plenty of opinions about how things should be done.But you haven’t walked a mile in those shoes.

He’s never had a job.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Well it's good to know you have some credibility.

In your expert opinion, is it possible for people who have had a difficult upbringing to "cave" under pressure even if they don't have mental illness? Or do all who cave under pressure and have a difficult upbringing automatically have mental illness?

(In reading more I had no idea Biles was on psychiatric medications. But, neither did anyone else when the debate here first began, and anyone honest will admit that. I stand by my refusal to automatically assume that anyone who caves under pressure has mental illness. It's thrown around too much to explain away every feeling and failure and frankly there is currently a problem of over-medicating children for other reaso

So how did she win before? Maybe try using your brain for once.

He’s never had a job.
“How did she win before?”

From Mayo website:
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may start within one month of a traumatic event, but sometimes symptoms may not appear until years after the event. These symptoms cause significant problems in social or work situations and in relationships. They can also interfere with your ability to go about your normal daily tasks.

PTSD symptoms are generally grouped into four types: intrusive memories, avoidance, negative changes in thinking and mood, and changes in physical and emotional reactions. Symptoms can vary over time or vary from person to person.

Again, I have no idea what happened to her today. But given how accomplished she is, it is more likely she is dealing with a ln acute/subacute mental health issue than a ‘lack of toughness’.

From Mayo website:
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may start within one month of a traumatic event, but sometimes symptoms may not appear until years after the event. These symptoms cause significant problems in social or work situations and in relationships. They can also interfere with your ability to go about your normal daily tasks.

PTSD symptoms are generally grouped into four types: intrusive memories, avoidance, negative changes in thinking and mood, and changes in physical and emotional reactions. Symptoms can vary over time or vary from person to person.

Again, I have no idea what happened to her today. But given how accomplished she is, it is more likely she is dealing with a ln acute/subacute mental health issue than a ‘lack of toughness’.

so a delayed PTSD is what you’re doing with?

From Mayo website:

It could have been as simple as seeing someone who looked like the person who assaulted her with a young gymnast. There could be lots of different triggers.

Reactions: jmliehr and egaRdeR
so a delayed PTSD is what you’re doing with?
PTSD can present immediately after trauma, months after, and many times years/decades later. Go to your local VA hospital—you will hear tons of stories of PTSD that started decades after their service trauma.

Again, I have no idea what happened today. But how often do you see someone so accomplished suddenly not be able to do basic things? She’s already shown she is a hell of a lot more mentally tough than anyone on this board with her tears of training and winning at the highest level. It’s likely not as simple as ‘she’s weak’. If she has PTSD, does that make all the war veterans with it ‘weak’?

Let me repeat my original quote again: “ I have no idea what happened to her today”—

to answer your question: I’m a physician, and yes, actively consult on patients with mental illness.
I'm a physician also. I can also bench 450 and run a sub 4.3 forty. Life is good.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
PTSD can present immediately after trauma, months after, and many times years/decades later. Go to your local VA hospital—you will hear tons of stories of PTSD that started decades after their service trauma.

Again, I have no idea what happened today. But how often do you see someone so accomplished suddenly not be able to do basic things? She’s already shown she is a hell of a lot more mentally tough than anyone on this board with her tears of training and winning at the highest level. It’s likely not as simple as ‘she’s weak’. If she has PTSD, does that make all the war veterans with it ‘weak’?
So battle in war is similar to shitty parents? That’s your response? Want to rethink your stance?

Reactions: leodisflowers
Been driving most of the day. Just saw the replay. Doesn't it seem like this is the equivalent of having the yips but for gymnastics? If she doesn't have confidence of where she is while flipping and spinning she certainly shouldn't be attempting to spin and flip.

Reactions: tpmcg
So battle in war is similar to shitty parents? That’s your response? Want to rethink your stance?
“Shitty parents”? Really? You call this just having shitty parents?

And sexual abuse as a teenager from a trusted adult?
Your lack of empathy is remarkable.

Reactions: egaRdeR
Been driving most of the day. Just saw the replay. Doesn't it seem like this is the equivalent of having the yips but for gymnastics? If she doesn't have confidence of where she is while flipping and spinning she certainly shouldn't be attempting to spin and flip.

Probably the most rational thing you have ever said. I knew you could start using some common sense.. keep it going Wulfy.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
“Shitty parents”? Really? You call this just having shitty parents?

And sexual abuse as a teenager from a trusted adult?
Your lack of empathy is remarkable.
but she won before? Why wasn’t this a big deal years ago? Your lack of intelligence is something scientist could study for decades.

You are comparing two shitty things that don’t need to be compared. One that adults go through and something that kids who don’t have any coping skills have to go through. There are many soldiers who survive war and live normal lives, does that make the ones who don’t weak?

Spend some time looking into Reactive attachment disorder to see what can happen to kids who experience trauma before the age of 3. It’s completely messed up, I have two friends going through it after adopting kids and it opened my eyes for sure.

You are comparing two shitty things that don’t need to be compared. One that adults go through and something that kids who don’t have any coping skills have to go through. There are many soldiers who survive war and live normal lives, does that make the ones who don’t weak?

Spend some time looking into Reactive attachment disorder to see what can happen to kids who experience trauma before the age of 3. It’s completely messed up, I have two friends going through it after adopting kids and it opened my eyes for sure.

I was actually making fun of comparing two said things.. I know.. over your head, but you do have Mikey as you avatar so thinking isn’t your strong suite.

I was actually making fun of comparing two said things.. I know.. over your head, but you do have Mikey as you avatar so thinking isn’t your strong suite.
He wasn’t comparing, he was talking about PTSD, which is widely known because of how it impacts our veterans, but isn’t exclusive to veterans. He was using it as an example of people suffering from PTSD to gain empathy after interacting with them.

Mikey’s still the last coach to lead NU to a bowl game and Frosty hasn’t managed to step over the low bar he set. If Frosty ever does, I’ll update it. Your fascination with my avatar is noted, I can’t say as I ever even look at others.

I dated a bi-sexual firefighter who also happened to be an ex stripper who also happened to get impregnated by her dad at the age of 12. She had mental issues, shocking I know. I judged her differently than other girls because of her upbringing. During our entire time together she showed many a signs she was dealing with mental issues...my friends just saw the one time where it was the final straw and I had to end things with her, but I saw many more before. That's how these things go. We, on the outside, see what happened a day or two ago, everyone else prolly saw it for a while. She shouldn't have been on the team, but I got no problem with them letting it happen, she was the GOAT, you treat her different. I get it.

Side note....Interesting thing about lesbians...they can spot other lesbians a mile away. We'd go to karaoke bars and she'd drive the other lesbians crazy, she could sing, dance, and was a total showboat and would get the whole place going by going over to tables of women and sticking the mic in front of them, they'd join in. It was fantastic. Had the time of my life. But those dang mental issues.....couldn't over come them. No matter what she looked like naked, they were to much. But I still have the pictures :)
...I have so many questions...

It will be interesting to see if she chooses to compete in the individual all-arounds.

If she does, and excels, then I think she deserves some criticism for quitting the team competition. JMO.

Reactions: baseball31ne
He wasn’t comparing, he was talking about PTSD, which is widely known because of how it impacts our veterans, but isn’t exclusive to veterans. He was using it as an example of people suffering from PTSD to gain empathy after interacting with them.

Mikey’s still the last coach to lead NU to a bowl game and Frosty hasn’t managed to step over the low bar he set. If Frosty ever does, I’ll update it. Your fascination with my avatar is noted, I can’t say as I ever even look at others.

And yet you went to veterans. Your idiocy knows no bounds.

If she was having mental issues before the trials and the selection for this team just a few weeks ago, then she should have retired then or whatever and not taken a spot away from one of the alternates.

it was selfish and as usual the left is praising her rather than criticizing the selfishness.
I had somewhat thought. I would hate to have seen what a full arena would have been. I feel sorry for her and the mental health industry might use her as a brave hero with endorsements etc

But this didn't just happen overnight and hope race didn't allow replacement

It will be interesting to see if she chooses to compete in the individual all-arounds.

If she does, and excels, then I think she deserves some criticism for quitting the team competition. JMO.
Or maybe it shows shes willing to take another chance since it will only hurt her and not her teammates.
Either way she’s going to be criticized

Or maybe it shows shes willing to take another chance since it will only hurt her and not her teammates.
Either way she’s going to be criticized
She will only be criticized if she wins multiple individual medals and shows no ill effects from the PTSD triggered from seeing another 4'9" 75 lb competitor that reminds her of something from her past. - this is sarcasm, don't @ me.

My first issue with it has nothing to do with the mental illness aspect, if she is sick, she is sick, but she or someone close to her shouldn't have set her up to fail. Look at her social media history, watch the feel good stories about her from around the Olympic Trials and there were multiple signs that she was struggling with her mental edge. But since it wasn't affecting her performance......yet, no one said anything. Does the USOC have someone on staff for the athletes to speak with, does the gymnastics federation? Does she?

My second issue is that if LeBron was 1-11 in the first quarter of game 7 in the NBA finals, then says sorry guys I just don't have it mentally tonight, go win the title without me, he would be criticized to the fullest extent. Regardless if he has a real mental illness or not. Barrett Robbins was criticized when he disappeared from the Super Bowl hotel the night before the big game. People were bashing him left and right for leaving the team in a lurch.

edit - living in Houston, where she also resides, and there was almost a story per day on the local news about the local Olympians, so maybe the history of losing her mental edge hadn't quite made the national news but the local NBC affiliate talked about it on the morning show quite a bit and showed social media posts that referenced that subject.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT