ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Simone Biles out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been worried about her even when watching the USA qualifications. I think she got too big too fast and she's reading the headlines too much. She's one of the greatest athletes to ever live and seems like a good kid but she's mentally not in it. Either she's expecting to walk in and have the gold put around her neck or she feels the expectations are too much and can't make any mistakes. It's probably a combination of the two.
Looks like they got silver. What a disappointment.

Ask any person who knows gymnastics and they'll say she's the best they've ever seen. She has done multiple things on different events never been done before. When you are the best (most athletic) female gymnast of all time, you're one of the greatest athletes ever.

She, along with the rest of the team, didn't march in the opening ceremonies...her coach said something about how our country gets hosed because of the alphabetical order thang and they have to be on their feet to much so.....yeah, probably. Pretty sure anyway.
Lol.

Potentially the greatest gymnast ever. Years and years of pressure came to a head. Unfortunate.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Any confirmation on the actual injury? If she bailed then would like to know for sure. If not and she is truly injured then she should have that respected.

Ask any person who knows gymnastics and they'll say she's the best they've ever seen. She has done multiple things on different events never been done before. When you are the best (most athletic) female gymnast of all time, you're one of the greatest athletes ever.
Part of being a great athlete is the mental component. If you fold under pressure to the point that you have to quit the event, that’s a huge dent in GOAT status.

I get it’s a big stage, but in the grand scheme Olympic gymnastics is low on the totem pole in terms of pressure. A niche sport that a bunch of suburban moms care about every four years.

I will say one of the tougher aspects of these judged sports is that everything comes down to one moment. You don’t get the chance to get into the flow of a game like in the Super Bowl or NBA Finals. It’d be like shooting a free throw to decide the championship.

Curious, why the assumption from several here that this was mental and not physical?
It's not an assumption. Read some articles. Even during the broadcast itself the commentator said something along the lines of "we have received word that it is not an injury but a 'mental health issue'."

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
I think it is physical and mental. She was under tremendous pressure. It's not healthy.

It looks very much like she messed up, knew she wasn't going to win the gold, and then quit. A physical injury? I doubt it. I think it's likely the pressure got to her. That's unfortunate.

Kind of interesting to see it unfold. Younger athletes with tremendous skill seem to lack a degree of mental toughness and ability to combat adversity. Maybe if you have unlimited praise and validation from millions of fan girls, you decide that only good vibes need apply.

Kind of interesting to see it unfold. Younger athletes with tremendous skill seem to lack a degree of mental toughness and ability to combat adversity. Maybe if you have unlimited praise and validation from millions of fan girls, you decide that only good vibes need apply.
In this case, I think it's the opposite. She's an older athlete in gymnastics. She has been elite her whole career when she was younger and had no fear. When you get older, that changes, doubt creeps in if she can still do it or not at her age.

In this case, I think it's the opposite. She's an older athlete in gymnastics. She has been elite her whole career when she was younger and had no fear. When you get older, that changes, doubt creeps in if she can still do it or not at her age.
Oh she's doing it. She's asserting too much power in her routines now.. But, it's definitely between the ears. Just you, in front of the world. No one else to blame.

All I have seen said she bailed for mental reasons. She quit. There should be no sugar coating it.
That’s sad. She’s been shown as a role model and this isn’t the correct modeling. Will want to hear more but not a good look for her.

Reality is her quitting probably secured the US silver, her one bad score made gold almost impossible, a second bad score would have made a medal basically impossible.

That’s sad. She’s been shown as a role model and this isn’t the correct modeling. Will want to hear more but not a good look for her.
Not sure how much more we will hear. She has said and it has been reported that it isn't physical. It is clearly a mental thing.

That doesn't mean that she just "quit". Unfortunately too many people look at mental health as a weakness and not just an illness like anything else.

For her own health, I hope she gets the help she needs.

Tom Brady at the super bowl: sorry guys, don’t have it today. Good luck out there! I’ll be cheering you on!

I’m guessing he wouldn’t be met with the same reception Biles is….
Precisely.
This is akin to him throwing an interception early and saying, "sorry guys I need to go focus on myself." Then playing in the pro bowl.

Not sure how much more we will hear. She has said and it has been reported that it isn't physical. It is clearly a mental thing.

That doesn't mean that she just "quit". Unfortunately too many people look at mental health as a weakness and not just an illness like anything else.

For her own health, I hope she gets the help she needs.

That’s because too many persevere and work through it everyday to have much sympathy for those that quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT