ADVERTISEMENT

ot:Shipping Whisky from Ireland

mwulf

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2013
Thigh Land
Will be in Ireland in July and want to bring back some Irish Whisky but have questions. Ive seen the larger distilleries dont ship to the US so I guess that means I cant either. Has anyone traveled to and from Ireland and brought back multiple bottles? Its not even for me it will be gifts for those who can appreciate the bottles.

Will be in Ireland in July and want to bring back some Irish Whisky but have questions. Ive seen the larger distilleries dont ship to the US so I guess that means I cant either. Has anyone traveled to and from Ireland and brought back multiple bottles? Its not even for me it will be gifts for those who can appreciate the bottles.
I don't see why you couldn't do it yourself. I shipped beer from Cantion while in Belgium. Expensive but worth it.

Will look into it...I am going to London for The Pixies and Pearl Jam then to Iceland for a week so thats quite a bit of travel with bottles in my luggage

Reactions: BroskiRed
Will look into it...I am going to London for The Pixies and Pearl Jam then to Iceland for a week so thats quite a bit of travel with bottles in my luggage
Sounds like an awesome trip!

Just throw a few bottles in your checked baggage. That’s what I did. Just watch your weight limit.

We brought rum back from Antigua a couple years ago in our checked luggage. No issues going through customs.

Depends on the quantity but if it's over one liter per person you are supposed to pay U.S. duty on it although for a liter or two extra for personal use some custom agents will let you through without paying. They don't want to mess with extra paperwork sometimes. You have to declare any amount on the customs form. Buy it at the airport duty-free stores if you can because that avoids the internal country of Ireland duty (but not the entering U.S. duty). Reasonable quantities are not limited as long as you pay the duty.

I'd suggest trying google to see if you can find the regulation for the specific amount of duty required. If you can't find it on google, you probably can find a phone number or website for customs regulations. Airline sites might also be helpful. In any event you can find specifics online somewhere.

Last edited:
How much are you talking about? My wife and I each just brought back 2 bottles in carry on bags from Shannon. You have a particular brand in mind?

Do you come back to the US directly from Iceland, or back through London? If it’s the latter, the London airport might have a bag storage area where you pay a couple bucks per day to store a bag. I’ve used these and found them to work very well for things you know you won’t need on your side trip.

How much are you talking about? My wife and I each just brought back 2 bottles in carry on bags from Shannon. You have a particular brand in mind?
I am going to a tour here https://www.pearselyonsdistillery.com/ and figured I would stop in the Jameson Distillery too. No more than 3 bottles total. I am returning to the States from Iceland with an 8 hour layover in Philadelphia

Honestly...just buy the stuff in the states...your friends won't notice the difference! haha

I am going to a tour here https://www.pearselyonsdistillery.com/ and figured I would stop in the Jameson Distillery too. No more than 3 bottles total. I am returning to the States from Iceland with an 8 hour layover in Philadelphia
If you decide to haul it to Iceland, make sure it will get through Icelandic customs duty-free. You would think so, but it's worth looking into. Iceland isn't going to care that you are just passing through - they will treat it the same as if the product is going to be consumed there.

Yep. Traveled to Ireland in 2012. The law then was you can bring back 2 liters. Two 750mL bottles wrapped in bubble wrap and clothes made it safely in the luggage. Just declare it on the form when you re-enter the US and you should be fine.

Yep. Traveled to Ireland in 2012. The law then was you can bring back 2 liters. Two 750mL bottles wrapped in bubble wrap and clothes made it safely in the luggage. Just declare it on the form when you re-enter the US and you should be fine.
Ok but I am going to London and Iceland before getting back to the States. Am I going to get stuck at points of entry of just keep it wrapped in my luggage?

Was in Ireland in 2015 and Scotland trip planned in May 2020, four distilleries planned right now.
In Ireland I would recommend the Jameson tour in Dublin. Great history and a good tasting at the end against Tennessee whiskey brands.
Would also recommend Kilbeggan in the middle of the country. The oldest licensed distillery in Ireland. Good self tour and tasting at end, one of my favorites.

Just purchase at airport duty free and bring back
I am thinking thats the easiest but if I purchase Duty Free in Dublin then fly to London and Reykjavic then the States I dont know where that puts me with the purchase. Ive never done duty free before. Do you get a receipt that allows you to bring the items to other countries before the final destination?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT