ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Serious topic: trucks

ZaneHickey

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 3, 2004
Had a 2003 f150, stepside, with the FX4 off-road package. Loved the truck, but the suspension, even with uneven concrete seams on city streets, was a bounce fest. I am in the market for another truck. Maybe a 2013-2017. Have heard some suggest that good, aftermarket shocks are the cure. Anyone on here drive an FX4 in that age range? I am looking at one with the Lariat trim package- not that that helps the ride. I just know that, if things haven't changed since 2003, I might need both a Bro and a Manssiere.Eek Thanks

New oem shocks are great as well. Truck shocks just don't last forever. Our shop trucks go through a few sets in their lifetime from what I would call light duty.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
I had a 2011 Crew Cab FX4, It did bounce around, hop, skip etc a good amount. I upgraded to a 2016 in the same thing. I'm guessing it was a combination of the new aluminum body and the redesign. There was a noticeable difference between the two in terms of comfort / drive ability. I would definitely go with the 2015 or newer and the Eco-Boost is a hoot to drive.

If you really want to avoid that issue or minimize it with a newer truck. The Dodge Ram with it's coil over suspension damn near rides like a car.

I drive a 2016 Ford F150 King Ranch Crew Cab and love it. While you still know it's a truck, it rides very nice on the street and is not bad on bumpy dirt road. Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

I don't know about an FX4, but I ride in a co-workers ‘14 F-150 a lot and it rides like a dream. Every time I'm in it I'm thinking "I need to get one of these." He's had it since new and the only issue he had was something fairly major with the HVAC system, luckily he had an extended warranty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT