ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rush R40

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
Rush 40th Anniversary Tour (R40) to begin May 8th in Tulsa. May 10th in Lincoln. I will be seeing them at the American Airlines Center in Dallas on May 18th. Me and my friends are getting really hyped up for this. Two freakin' weeks!! Anyone else going?

2015-03-24%2013.45.25_zpsnzk5o2jt.jpg

Last edited:
I am not going but I have seen them a few times. They are great! I did just see Hairball in Ralston the other night, that was SOOO FUN

I am not going but I have seen them a few times. They are great! I did just see Hairball in Ralston the other night, that was SOOO FUN

This will be number 11 for me. At their age any tour could be their last. I know it's fairly expensive to get tickets. Money has been really tight for me, but I wasn't going to miss out like I did for the Time Machine Tour. I waited too long and then couldn't afford tix when the prices didn't drop.

Soon as I posted this I got a call from my buddy in Denver. He's going to see them in Lincoln. Sitting five rows behind the soundboard. I wish I could go to both shows. Met a guy last month at a restaurant and he couldn't stop talking about Rush. Was meeting with his friends from around the country in Austin. Since the Austin show is on a Saturday they had time to all fly/drive in. Sounds like a blast! I'm going to take the train from just south of DFW airport to the AAC. No parking, let someone else drive. Did it last time and it rocked. Wish Arlington had mass transit. It's like living in the stone age.

I am attending the Lincoln show and KC in July. Always a great show and sure sounds like this is it for touring as a band.

Always a great show and sure sounds like this is it for touring as a band.
And where did you get this info? I've heard nothing suggesting this is a farewell tour. They just had a new album a few years ago. They won't tour when it stops being fun or health issues intervene.

Remember seeing them in Omaha in the music hall right after they released 2112... Neil Peart was and still is amazing....

Enjoy bigboxes.

The band as a group has said they want to slow down....old news I know.

Leading up to this tour - they have let out a story Peart has tendonitis in both arms - which will limit how much he can play going forward. The same story quoted Lee as wanting to work on a soundtrack with Lifeson.....not official - but this is going to be it for the 3 hour shows IMHO. Anything in the future will be more like special appearances or "select dates" with much shorter shows.

#1 band of all-time. Studio, live, whatever.

I'll probly get shot to pieces on a board full of dudes who grew up with Rush, but even as a drummer recognizing the influence of Peart, and a guy who plays bass and recognizes the impact of Geddy, I don't like much of their catalogue. They have some truly great songs (I enjoy Tom Sawyer,Driven, YYZ etc, as much as anyone else), but most of their work doesn't do alot for me.

The band as a group has said they want to slow down....old news I know.

Leading up to this tour - they have let out a story Peart has tendonitis in both arms - which will limit how much he can play going forward. The same story quoted Lee as wanting to work on a soundtrack with Lifeson.....not official - but this is going to be it for the 3 hour shows IMHO. Anything in the future will be more like special appearances or "select dates" with much shorter shows.

I read much of that already. Just never put 2 + 2 together and thought this was their last tour. I just saw them slowing down. And jflores, I say like what you like. My boss likes Imagine Dragons and I think they suck. I didn't like Rush the first time I heard them. I came of age in the 80's so I don't dislike the heavy synth stuff. I love the fact that they keep creating even at their age. They don't do the same thing over and over, much to the dismay of their older fans.

This is it. Neil is having issues with his hands and arms. Also, he has a little girl and touring is time away from her. They may play a show here and there. But book it as the last tour. This will be my sixth time seeing them July 9th in KC. One of my favorite bands. GREAT LIVE SHOW. Would love to come up to Lincoln to check out the new venue for them or Motley.

I don't debate the relative strength of Rush's catalog....their music appeals to a limited audience. I get that....that audience feels REALLY strong about that music (I happen to be one of them....lol). That said, I accept Rush is not going to appeal to everyone.
There are quite a few country music starts that are huge Rush fans....which I find weird....clearly a large portion of rock bands hold Rush in the highest esteem......if folks in the music industry tell something is good - I tend spend some time to see if I like it (which is how I found Spock's Beard....awesome progressive rock band still cranking out new music)

Clockwork Angles is not my favorite Rush album - but I listen to it often....the Garden is just an incredible piece of music......

I've got over 500 audio boots and probably at least 50 video boots. If this is my last time to see them perform live then I will savor the moment. I've been blessed to see them quite a few times. I've been 9th row in front of Alex and 9th row in front of Geddy. I should have seen them at least three tours that I missed. Usually, it's other obligations that take priority. I bought my ticket early this time just so that something wouldn't "come up". This year I'm around 18th row on the floor and it still cost me dearly. It's gonna be awesome!

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Leaked set list

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Big Money
Far Cry
One Little Victory
Animate
Roll the Bones
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta/YYZ
The Camera Eye
The Spirit of Radio/Natural Science/Closer to the Heart
Jacob's Ladder
Prelude to Hemispheres/Cygnus X-1

"Note that this is not a comprehensive list, but only songs that have associated background video."

Leaked set list

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Big Money
Far Cry
One Little Victory
Animate
Roll the Bones
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta/YYZ
The Camera Eye
Jacob's Ladder

"Note that this is not a comprehensive list, but only songs that have associated background video."
I would replace like six of those with others. Still solid. thought it would be better.

Here's what I've heard. All of the band members are in agreement. They want a complete chronological presentation. Unfortunately, there's just too much music to play in one night. So, on one night you may hear one song and on another night another. It won't please everyone so you'll just hope that there will be a plethora of boots out there and to enjoy the moment when you see them live once again. They also discuss how they don't want to play all the songs they just played on their last tour from past albums. However, I would expect to see a representation from their last album, Clockwork Angels, as is seen on the leaked video playlist. That list is only what they have worked up with video, so far. I'm sure they will add quite a bit more songs to their list. I'm sure we'll have an actual playlist from tomorrow night's performance in Tulsa up soon after the show. Freakin' ELEVEN DAYS!!!

Geddy Lee said at the beginning of April they had a set list that ran 5 hours.....but they knew some songs would not work once they started rehearsals (they play it together to make the final call). My guess is they still have around 4 hours of material.....on any given night - you'll hear what they decide to play.

Final set list for Tulsa (May 8th):

Set 1

Intro video - The World is ... The World is

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Headlong Flight (with mini drum solo)
Far Cry
Main Monkey Business
One Little Victory
Animate
Roll the Bones
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2

Intro video - No Country for Old Hens

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
The Spirit of Radio
Jacob's Ladder
Cygnus X-1 Book Two: Hemispheres - Prelude
Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 1
drum solo
Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 3
Closer to the Heart
Xanadu
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

Encore

Intro Video: Mel's Rockpile starring Eugene Levy

Lakeside Park
Anthem
What You're Doing
Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end)

Outro Video: Exit Stage Left

Ecstatic about Hemispheres. Wanted hear this live in its entirety. I know it's not complete, but beggars can't be choosers . Cygnus X-1... badass! Surprised they didn't squeeze in Limelight no matter the length. I know that they covered a lot of the 80's stuff last tour, but I really wanted to hear Manhattan Project one more time or at least Big Money. Also, no Presto representation. I love Scars or War Paint live.

At the vault in Lincoln tomorrow. Show of hands to all that's going? *looks around*

Ecstatic about Hemispheres. Wanted hear this live in its entirety. I know it's not complete, but beggars can't be choosers . Cygnus X-1... badass! Surprised they didn't squeeze in Limelight no matter the length. I know that they covered a lot of the 80's stuff last tour, but I really wanted to hear Manhattan Project one more time or at least Big Money. Also, no Presto representation. I love Scars or War Paint live.

At the vault in Lincoln tomorrow. Show of hands to all that's going? *looks around*
...show of hands...I get it

Reactions: bigboxes

Will be there. Section 106. Set list looks good. Was hoping for Marathon or the Pass one last time. maybe Analog Kid too.

I don't debate the relative strength of Rush's catalog....their music appeals to a limited audience. I get that....that audience feels REALLY strong about that music (I happen to be one of them....lol). That said, I accept Rush is not going to appeal to everyone.
There are quite a few country music starts that are huge Rush fans....which I find weird....clearly a large portion of rock bands hold Rush in the highest esteem......if folks in the music industry tell something is good - I tend spend some time to see if I like it (which is how I found Spock's Beard....awesome progressive rock band still cranking out new music)

Clockwork Angles is not my favorite Rush album - but I listen to it often....the Garden is just an incredible piece of music......

Spocks Beard rocks.

I'd prefer Dreamline to Roll The Bones if I had my choice, but they must use Xanadu as the green laser song. I believe they use double-neck guitars for Xanadu. Talk about going back in time!

Last edited:
Listening to my first boot of the tour, from OKC. Downloading a second one from that same show.
Pic from opening night of the R40 Tour!
rush_05-08-2015tulsaok_group_zpsih6qoly2.jpg

There's those double-neck guitars I was talking about!

3430.f_zpsvwdivalb.jpg

Encore
3432.f_zpshcubsdmi.jpg

rush_05-08-2015_band2_zpszd7jqlll.jpg

rush_05-08-2015_band3_zpsnmpljiun.jpg

Last edited:
Lincoln setlist:

Set 1:

Video Intro (The World is ... The World is)

The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight (with Drumbastica mini drum solo)
Far Cry
The Main Monkey Business
How It Is
Animate
Roll The Bones (with celebrity rappers video)
Between the Wheels
Subdivisions

Intermission (R40 drum kit replaced with throwback replica kit)

Set 2:

Video Intro (No Country for Old Hens)

Tom Sawyer
The Camera Eye
The Spirit of Radio
Jacob's Ladder
Drum Solo
Closer To The Heart
Xanadu (double neck guitars)
2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

Encore:

Video Intro (Mel's Rockpile starring Eugene Levy)

Lakeside Park
Anthem
What You're Doing

Video Outro (Exit Stage Left)

Looks like they swapped out The Anarchist for Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers for The Anarchist, Between The Wheels for Distant Early Warning and The Camera Eye for Red Barchetta.

Last edited:
I've got audio boots for both the Lincoln and the Tulsa shows. If you want a copy shoot me an e-mail to bigboxes1ATyahoo.com (replace AT with @) and I'll send you a download link. The files are non-copyrighted so nothing illegal. Cool

Leaked set list

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Big Money
Far Cry
One Little Victory
Animate
Roll the Bones
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta/YYZ
The Camera Eye
Jacob's Ladder

I don't know over 1/2 of those songs. No "Fly By Night" or "Working Man?" The 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures stuff would be cool, but I would probably be in a deep sleep by the time those came around.

The Signals album is where I gladly checked out and haven't returned. I enjoyed seeing the recent documentary on them, but haven't listened to them (other than those moments that I went back and listened to 2112 and the 1st album a few times) for over 30 years. I curse the day Signals came out. Just terrible stuff.

I've got audio boots for both the Lincoln and the Tulsa shows. If you want a copy shoot me an e-mail to bigboxes1ATyahoo.com (replace AT with @) and I'll send you a download link. The files are non-copyrighted so nothing illegal. Cool

Just wanted Rush fans a copy of the shows. If you checked out in 1981, please just "let it go". The band didn't die on that day. If you didn't evolve, I thank God that they did.

• Just wanted Rush fans a copy of the shows. If you checked out in 1981, please just "let it go". The band didn't die on that day. If you didn't evolve, I thank God that they did.

It's always good to thank God. IMO Rush took tremendous steps backwards after Moving Pictures. Alex himself didn't like the direction of the band because of all the keyboards.

Moving Pictures was an amazing album, as were most all that came before it. 2112 was the crown jewel of all. Some of the best guitar hooks that I've ever heard. And the fact that Alex was only 22 or so when he came up with that stuff just blows my mind.

I would probably go see Rush, but it would be for the first 8 albums' content, and as a musician, just to watch them put their chops on display.

Setlist from the St. Paul show last night:

Set 1:

Video Intro (The World is ... The World is)

The Anarchist
Clockwork Angels
Headlong Flight (with Drumbastica mini drum solo)
Far Cry
The Main Monkey Business
One Little Victory
Animate
Roll The Bones (with celebrity rappers video)
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions

Intermission (R40 drum kit replaced with throwback replica kit)

Set 2:

Video Intro (No Country for Old Hens)

Tom Sawyer
YYZ
The Spirit of Radio
Natural Science
Jacob's Ladder
Drum Solo
Closer To The Heart
Xanadu (double neck guitars)
2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

Encore:

Video Intro (Mel's Rockpile starring Eugene Levy)

Lakeside Park
Anthem
What You're Doing

Video Outro (Exit Stage Left)

ADVERTISEMENT