ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Route to Plattsmouth

Cedric

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 20, 2001
I could use some help please. On Friday morning I am driving from Indianapolis to Plattsmouth. The businesses of some dear family friends have been ravaged by the flood, and I'm going to help start the cleanup. If any of you are familiar with the town, you'll know which families I'm referring to -- one that started a trucking company from nothing and is now the biggest employer in the county (aside from government); the other the owner of the local towing company. Both families are generous, wonderful people.
There are a couple of possible routes I can take. One is picking up Highway 34 in western Illinois and taking it into Glenwood and across the Plattsmouth toll bridge. I assume that Highway 34 on the Iowa side approaching the toll bridge is closed, as that is low ground. Can anyone confirm?
Another potential route is US 36 across northern Missouri into St. Joe, then up I-29 to Nebraska City, crossing into Nebraska on Highway 2. Is the Highway 2 bridge open? It sometimes closes because Highway 2 on the Iowa side gets flooded. I suppose I could cross the river at St. Joe, take 36 into Hiawatha, KS, and just head straight north up US 75 from there. Is that an option?
Finally, perhaps the easiest way to go is I-80 across Iowa, cross at Omaha and go south to Plattsmouth on 75. But I keep hearing that the 75 bridges at the Platte River are closed and expected to be for a long time still. Any updates? Should I just go out to Highway 50, south to Louisville then east to Plattsmouth, or are the Louisville bridges closed too?
I'm leaving Indiana in 48 hours. Any updates you could post between now and then would be very helpful. Thank you.

I could use some help please. On Friday morning I am driving from Indianapolis to Plattsmouth. The businesses of some dear family friends have been ravaged by the flood, and I'm going to help start the cleanup. If any of you are familiar with the town, you'll know which families I'm referring to -- one that started a trucking company from nothing and is now the biggest employer in the county (aside from government); the other the owner of the local towing company. Both families are generous, wonderful people.
There are a couple of possible routes I can take. One is picking up Highway 34 in western Illinois and taking it into Glenwood and across the Plattsmouth toll bridge. I assume that Highway 34 on the Iowa side approaching the toll bridge is closed, as that is low ground. Can anyone confirm?
Another potential route is US 36 across northern Missouri into St. Joe, then up I-29 to Nebraska City, crossing into Nebraska on Highway 2. Is the Highway 2 bridge open? It sometimes closes because Highway 2 on the Iowa side gets flooded. I suppose I could cross the river at St. Joe, take 36 into Hiawatha, KS, and just head straight north up US 75 from there. Is that an option?
Finally, perhaps the easiest way to go is I-80 across Iowa, cross at Omaha and go south to Plattsmouth on 75. But I keep hearing that the 75 bridges at the Platte River are closed and expected to be for a long time still. Any updates? Should I just go out to Highway 50, south to Louisville then east to Plattsmouth, or are the Louisville bridges closed too?
I'm leaving Indiana in 48 hours. Any updates you could post between now and then would be very helpful. Thank you.

I-80 to 75 should work. They just opened 75 yesterday.

Another route would be I-80 to 144th/HWY 50. 50 to 66. 66 to 34.

X1LnLaU.jpg

I-29 is closed from Craig, MO(and maybe farther south now) to Omaha, so you can't go that way. Stay away from highway 34 as it is 2 lanes and 55 MPH through Iowa and closed at the interstate. I would take I-74 to I-72 to Hanibal and that turns into highway 36. Stay on highway 36 through St Joe and then get on highway 75 North and that will take you all the way to Plattsmouth to the Schmidt campus. Highway 36 through Missouri is all 4 lanes and 70 MPH. That is awesome of you to help like this.

Reactions: schuele
With I-29 closed, there will be a lot of traffic on 75. Also, the Missouri hasn't crested at St. Joe yet. I'm not sure if 36 is at risk of closure, but I would just avoid it. I would take the dry route (I-74 to I-80 at the quad cities, to 75 in Omaha and south to Plattsmouth).

With I-29 closed, there will be a lot of traffic on 75. Also, the Missouri hasn't crested at St. Joe yet. I'm not sure if 36 is at risk of closure, but I would just avoid it. I would take the dry route (I-74 to I-80 at the quad cities, to 75 in Omaha and south to Plattsmouth).
Very true. I'm sure 75 is busy. I think either route would be good. 36 is ok in St Joe right now, but who knows. The route you gave is basically interstate all the way. Good luck on your trip @Cedric

Anyone know if Google Maps has up-to-date routing information that incorporates the road closures?

I'd take I-80 as long as you can, but I don't know what it's like trying to work your way south once you're into Western Iowa/Eastern Nebraska. It will take you a lot longer overall to take smaller highways all the way from IL.

Hiway 75 out of Omaha to Plattsmouth is open...wasn't busy last night but it had just opened in both directions. Sure it will be busier than normal depending on the time of day you end up getting in. God Bless.

I-80 to 75S is the way to go. I29 and 34 are both closed due to flooding as you approach Plattsmouth.

Hiway 75 out of Omaha to Plattsmouth is open...wasn't busy last night but it had just opened in both directions. Sure it will be busier than normal depending on the time of day you end up getting in. God Bless.

And thank goodness it’s open. It was closed Monday and HWY 50 was backed up bumper to bumper from Louisville to Springfield. From at least 5-8 pm. Crazy.

FYI, each state has their own 511 website that is updated almost instantaneously. Yesterday within my short lunch break US59 at Craig MO (I-29 exit 92) went from showing open to closed, same time they closed I-29 from north side of St Joseph MO.
I would say crossing Iowa on I-80 into Omaha and south on 75 if it's still open or Hwy 50 south (exit 440) to NE-66 east from Louisville back to Plattsmouth if available as your 2nd best option.
https://lb.511ia.org/ialb/roadreports/routeselect.jsf
current Iowa report on I-80, just shoulder work and lane width items, another highway just showed delays for a stalled car in a left lane......
Omaha Goats Rugby Club is assisting through local Red Cross and Salvation Army
https://www.goatsrugby.com/
for those who wish to help out!
Cheers, Cedric

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT