ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Bob Gibson 84

Had the great pleasure to meet him on three different occasions, all by random chance.

First was in St Louis about 25 years ago when he had just been dismissed as the Cards pitching coach as Joe Torre was fired. They were both at Purina Farms. I happened to be wearing a Husker shirt and shook his hand. Later got his autograph.
In 1998 we were flying back to Omaha from the Orange Bowl after beating Tennessee. My son (age 8) went up and got his autograph and Bob chatted with for a few minutes. A couple years later we sat by him on a plane. Some lady sitting right next to him started talking about model trains with him and she had no idea who he was. In every case he was polite as could be. Very gentle, the total opposite of his mound persona.

Here are two amazing stats about his career. He had 252 victories. He had 255 complete games. He also never hit more than 13 batters during a season. Since I also grew up in Nebraska, I’ve always considered him my favorite athlete of all time.

On the lighter side, there is a photo of Bob Gibson and Bob Uecker holding hands in a team photo.

Was discussed on the show hosted by another famous Nebraskan: The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. It's at about 4:10 if it doesn't jump there right away...

ADVERTISEMENT