ADVERTISEMENT

OT Residential HVAC

Huskers=Best

Walk On
Dec 9, 2009
Omaha
We’ve got a broken gas furnace smart valve and a crack in the heat exchanger. We’re looking at replacing both the furnace and air conditioner, since they are both 19 years old. The AC works fine for now, but it is probably time. What are good brands for residential units? We’re in Omaha, so any recommendations (or discouragements) for contractors would also be appreciated.

We’ve got a broken gas furnace smart valve and a crack in the heat exchanger. We’re looking at replacing both the furnace and air conditioner, since they are both 19 years old. The AC works fine for now, but it is probably time. What are good brands for residential units? We’re in Omaha, so any recommendations (or discouragements) for contractors would also be appreciated.
Carrier and American Standard (Trane) are probably the best, but there really aren't any bad brands out there anymore. HVAC equipment in general has come a long ways just in the last 10 years.

Reactions: Huskers=Best
Reputable HVAC company is more important than the name on the box. Also, compare warranties, etc. Ask around about companies and get multiple quotes. Have them perform a load calculation on the house to verify proper equipment size.

Yes there are differences in brands, York (which includes Champion, Luxaire, Coleman), American Standard (Trane), Lennox, Carrier (Bryant) are your more Premium brands but they all have entry level units as well to compete with the Goodman's (Daikin) and Nortek lines (Gibson, Frigidaire).

But like what is stated, don't pay for the brand, pay for the installation.

Reputable HVAC company is more important than the name on the box. Also, compare warranties, etc. Ask around about companies and get multiple quotes. Have them perform a load calculation on the house to verify proper equipment size.

Yes there are differences in brands, York (which includes Champion, Luxaire, Coleman), American Standard (Trane), Lennox, Carrier (Bryant) are your more Premium brands but they all have entry level units as well to compete with the Goodman's (Daikin) and Nortek lines (Gibson, Frigidaire).

But like what is stated, don't pay for the brand, pay for the installation.
Daikin actually makes some nice equipment. It's not like the Goodman/Amana stuff from a few years ago. Personally I'm not a fan of the physical design but it does seem to be pretty efficient and reliable.

Reactions: Huskers=Best
Thanks for the replies. First bid for Rheem 100k BTU furnace and 4 ton 13 SEER condenser was around $11,500. Thought it was a little on the higher end. I’ve never heard of Rheem previously being on the design side of commercial construction.

Thanks for the replies. First bid for Rheem 100k BTU furnace and 4 ton 13 SEER condenser was around $11,500. Thought it was a little on the higher end. I’ve never heard of Rheem previously being on the design side of commercial construction.
Sounds high for a 13 seer. Better keep looking.

I got some bids from the big boys that do a ton of advertising in Omaha on TV and radio...just about fell over backwards...then called a much smaller company and they did it for half....and it was an apples to apples as one of the big boys quoted the exact same unit I got with the smaller guy. This all happened about 2 months ago...Just an FYI

I got some bids from the big boys that do a ton of advertising in Omaha on TV and radio...just about fell over backwards...then called a much smaller company and they did it for half....and it was an apples to apples as one of the big boys quoted the exact same unit I got with the smaller guy. This all happened about 2 months ago...Just an FYI
my experience as well.. stay away from those with big advertising budgets

A healthy woman and animal skins keep me warm. To cool off I bathe in a cold mountain stream with a healthy woman. Hope that helps.

Reactions: HuskerO
Earlier this year, replaced with a 5 ton 13 seer Trane unit (furnace, A/C, humidifier, smart thermostat). $6600 installed. Went with the small guy, local and avoided all of the heavy marketing large companies. Almost half their price. And the guy who sold it to me is the one who installed it.
Do you mind saying who you went with? Was this in Omaha? I am looking to get a Trane.

control comfort

We have a Trane XL80 in our basement that was made in 1997 and it refuses to die. I can hear the thing from 3 floors away but by God it still runs. So does the Trane AC they installed at the same time, I finally just had to have coolant added to it this summer because the coils were icing.

Had a new blower motor a few years ago when we had a home warranty so that replacement was covered. I leave the blower set to "On" instead of "Auto" now to reduce wear on it. I keep waiting for the heat exchanger to go on it so I can get a high efficiency unit. If Trane still make them with that kind of quality, I'll be getting another one.

Having the two-stage capability is nice for that stretch run in January and February, especially when we get a polar vortex up here. You can wire them for the newer smart thermostats to let the stat manage when you use stage 2.

Get yourself plenty of air conditioner, the summers will only get hotter in the next 20 years.

We have a Trane XL80 in our basement that was made in 1997 and it refuses to die. I can hear the thing from 3 floors away but by God it still runs. So does the Trane AC they installed at the same time, I finally just had to have coolant added to it this summer because the coils were icing.

Had a new blower motor a few years ago when we had a home warranty so that replacement was covered. I leave the blower set to "On" instead of "Auto" now to reduce wear on it. I keep waiting for the heat exchanger to go on it so I can get a high efficiency unit. If Trane still make them with that kind of quality, I'll be getting another one.

Having the two-stage capability is nice for that stretch run in January and February, especially when we get a polar vortex up here. You can wire them for the newer smart thermostats to let the stat manage when you use stage 2.

Get yourself plenty of air conditioner, the summers will only get hotter in the next 20 years.
The blower in my 1998 Trane just went out. Never had any problems until now. Got an estimate for a new Trane system today. Not cheap.

The blower in my 1998 Trane just went out. Never had any problems until now. Got an estimate for a new Trane system today. Not cheap.
A blower motor costs like 60 bucks and takes less than a half hour to replace. Unless there are other issues, don't replace the entire system over that.

Reactions: WHCSC
I don’t know that. I would think he’s capable. But he’s not huge.

What’s your commercial application? Roof tops? Air handlers? Cooling towers?
Fortunately it's not a roof top.

Heat pump, electric furnace/air handler.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Heil brand. Are they any good? This would be for commercial use.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Heil brand. Are they any good? This would be for commercial use.
Heil is made by International Comfort Products, which has other brands like Tempstar & Arcoair, etc. They are more of a middle of the road brand as far as quality and price point.

But installation is the most important thing irregardless.

Reactions: HuskerO
A/C just took a $hit like two hours ago, blade isn't spinning but it sounds like it the motor is running but sounds weird. Have to suck it up till Monday and make a call. Hopefully don't need a new unit.

A/C just took a $hit like two hours ago, blade isn't spinning but it sounds like it the motor is running but sounds weird. Have to suck it up till Monday and make a call. Hopefully don't need a new unit.
Could just be the capacitor. Runs both the motor and compressor. Inexpensive fix if that's what it is.

Reactions: LightningJack
Turn off your thermostat. Most likely just a fan motor, no big deal.

Reactions: LightningJack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT