ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Recommendation for Chiropractor

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Has anyone had any luck with Chiropractors in Omaha who successful treat acid reflux. If so can you recommend them?

So, I can't comment on acid reflux nor any Chiropractors in Omaha.

But, to those making fun of chiropractors, don't knock it until you've tried it. I made fun of my wife for years for going to one. A couple years ago, I went to hers after reaggravating my back following a stint in physical therapy for a bulged disc. After my physical therapist did similar (though less forceful) adjustments, it made me think there may be something to it. I tweak my back from time to time, but going to our chiropractor has significantly shortened my recovery time when I do compared to before.

Now, that being said, back pain IS I believe the only area that chiropractic care has been empirically proven to be effective. I'm skeptical about its effect on non-related issues

So, I can't comment on acid reflux nor any Chiropractors in Omaha.

But, to those making fun of chiropractors, don't knock it until you've tried it. I made fun of my wife for years for going to one. A couple years ago, I went to hers after reaggravating my back following a stint in physical therapy for a bulged disc. After my physical therapist did similar (though less forceful) adjustments, it made me think there may be something to it. I tweak my back from time to time, but going to our chiropractor has significantly shortened my recovery time when I do compared to before.

Now, that being said, back pain IS I believe the only area that chiropractic care has been empirically proven to be effective. I'm skeptical about its effect on non-related issues

I would 100% rather try a natural less invasive way to fix a problem vs shove pills and meds down my throat. So Im willing to try anything before and every option before that. I have seen 1st hand what chiropractic can do for neck and back issues. It 100% works. Now as you say as far as other areas Im not convinced, but curious to give it a shot.
I think the negativity towards it is probably people who have never tried it. Those who are brainwashing into believing that meds and surgery are the only way to fix the body. My wife is a nurse, so believe me I get medicine has a place, just not for a lot of things.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Pour a shot of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and sip on it before bed.
Also, start taking digestive enzymes with each meal.
Cool, I have tired apple cider viegar, but not enzymes will give it a shot.

I would 100% rather try a natural less invasive way to fix a problem vs shove pills and meds down my throat. So Im willing to try anything before and every option before that. I have seen 1st hand what chiropractic can do for neck and back issues. It 100% works. Now as you say as far as other areas Im not convinced, but curious to give it a shot.
I think the negativity towards it is probably people who have never tried it. Those who are brainwashing into believing that meds and surgery are the only way to fix the body. My wife is a nurse, so believe me I get medicine has a place, just not for a lot of things.

I'm guessing more of them have been jobbed by one...having to pay a ton of $$, setting up a bunch of adjustment appointments, and ending up worse than they started. At least I know I was once dumb enough be included in that group.

I'm guessing more of them have been jobbed by one...having to pay a ton of $$, setting up a bunch of adjustment appointments, and ending up worse than they started. At least I know I was once dumb enough be included in that group.
I agree they are HEAVILY over paid, I have used them for neck and back issues and probably know at least 20 others who have used chiropractors for other issues. All have had some form of success and continue to use them. We also used for our first born. Was having ear infection after ear infection on tons of antibiotics. The doc said if he get another infection we would have to do tubes. So we tried chiropractic, never had another ear infection. Used chiropractic for our other 2 not 1 ear infection for either. So it does have its place, but yes it may not work to fix everything and it may not work for everyone.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Back pain is not a homogeneous pain response. Your medical professional should help to determine what is causing the pain and provide the intervention that is best suited to your impairment(s). Chiropractic care can be helpful if your impairment is a segmental issue. I haven’t seen research that supports the use of manipulation in resolving acid reflux. Even though I wouldn’t support the intervention....it’s not going to hurt you. I just wouldn’t over utilize the technique.

No shortage of kooks in the Chiropractic field which is unfortunate.

But I've gone to them on and off for years and gotten a lot of benefit, getting my spine aligned and my pelvis.

Reactions: husker2612
But I've gone to them on and off for years and gotten a lot of benefit, getting my spine aligned and my pelvis.

That's pretty much what I have done. And he doesn't push additional adjustments or any pseudo-sciencey stuff in addition to it. The first time I went in, one side of my pelvis was 2.25" higher than the other. He said he didn't know how I walked in like that, my response was not very well. My pelvis was also out of alignment during my physical therapy and my PT adjusted me, like I mentioned before that is part of what made me consider it. He mostly sticks to adjusting my pelvis and lumbar area, every once in awhile he'll adjust a little higher up in my back, usually makes me see stars but feels alot better afterwards. He uses an adjustment table which helps make it seem alot less "violent."

Cool, I have tired apple cider viegar, but not enzymes will give it a shot.

Totally anecdotal but I'll share it:

I had terrible acid reflux for years, and no antacids worked for me. I also dealt with leg cramps, RLS, and night sweats like crazy. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with an adrenaline disorder (unrelated symptoms) and was put on an anti-depressant/anti anxiety medication. Oddly enough, it took care of all of those issues. It came down to being an problem with high cortisol levels that couldn't be treated with anything other than a medication. Not sure if you've got any other symptoms but if you do, they may not all be independent problems.

Put a spoonful of baking soda in about a cup or so of water. Stir it up and pound it down. Will taste a little bitter, but will put that fire right ou .

The apple cider/vinegar thing is a good idea. As are paying attention to what medical professionals say is a good way to treat it (dietary changes, over-the-counter medications, etc).

Chiropractic is nice for back and neck pain. It doesn't really fix anything else. Any peer reviewed study of this will prove that. It's just popping bones into better alignment temporarily. It is a practice that is unfortunately full of snake oil salesmen.

Do I like chiropractic for a once or twice a year adjustment that I do hand in hand with a massage? Sure. Do I think it does anything other than temporarily provide a little relief/get things back in alignment? No.

Totally anecdotal but I'll share it:

I had terrible acid reflux for years, and no antacids worked for me. I also dealt with leg cramps, RLS, and night sweats like crazy. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with an adrenaline disorder (unrelated symptoms) and was put on an anti-depressant/anti anxiety medication. Oddly enough, it took care of all of those issues. It came down to being an problem with high cortisol levels that couldn't be treated with anything other than a medication. Not sure if you've got any other symptoms but if you do, they may not all be independent problems.
It is interesting you say that. I haven't been technically diagnosed with adrenal disorder. I do also have those symptoms. I have tried doctors, who have put me on PPI inhibitors and anti anxiety meds. PPI, antacids do nothing at all. Anti anxiety meds helped a bit with insomnia/ sleeping stuff but nothing great and the side effects of those can be horrible, so I went off all meds and have been looking into the natural stuff instead.

Hi, I'm a chiropractor and reflux sometimes gets better but it's usually not a direct treatment people are seen for. For example if there is a misalignment in the vertebrae that controls your stomach it can lead to acid reflux. There are some maneuvers that involve pressing on your abdomen that helps at times but there are usually other factors.

Your reflux can also be caused by stress, poor diet, lack of sleep, being dehydrated, side effects of medication, infection, allergies, and lots more.
I usually recommend cleaning up the diet, limiting coffee and alcohol, and to take probiotics and digestive enzymes. Getting with a dietician would also help.
Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Chiro is not what you're looking for to treat reflux. Above suggestions regarding seeking out a Registered Dietitian or seeing a gastroenterologist are what you want to pursue.

You can try over the counter acid medicines, Tums is a "quick fix" to neutralize flare-ups. You can try inclining your sleep surface for nighttime reflux issues.

The apple cider/vinegar thing is a good idea. As are paying attention to what medical professionals say is a good way to treat it (dietary changes, over-the-counter medications, etc).

Chiropractic is nice for back and neck pain. It doesn't really fix anything else. Any peer reviewed study of this will prove that. It's just popping bones into better alignment temporarily. It is a practice that is unfortunately full of snake oil salesmen.

Do I like chiropractic for a once or twice a year adjustment that I do hand in hand with a massage? Sure. Do I think it does anything other than temporarily provide a little relief/get things back in alignment? No.
Our chiropractor has always helped our kids when they get an ear infection. A few trips and they're good. Then we remember to continue to go to him and it's helped prevent any further ear infections.

It is interesting you say that. I haven't been technically diagnosed with adrenal disorder. I do also have those symptoms. I have tried doctors, who have put me on PPI inhibitors and anti anxiety meds. PPI, antacids do nothing at all. Anti anxiety meds helped a bit with insomnia/ sleeping stuff but nothing great and the side effects of those can be horrible, so I went off all meds and have been looking into the natural stuff instead.
FWIW, I was put on an SSRI and it made no difference. I ended up having a DNA test done and it showed that I'm resistant to them so the doctor switched me over to an SNRI and it did the trick.

I'm serious when I would recommend you have your cortisol levels checked and have a DNA test done. Doctors dont even think about adrenaline issues but it led me to the point of being suicidal so dont ignore it if you think that might be the case. PM me if you dont want to talk about this publicly.

FWIW, I was put on an SSRI and it made no difference. I ended up having a DNA test done and it showed that I'm resistant to them so the doctor switched me over to an SNRI and it did the trick.

I'm serious when I would recommend you have your cortisol levels checked and have a DNA test done. Doctors dont even think about adrenaline issues but it led me to the point of being suicidal so dont ignore it if you think that might be the case. PM me if you dont want to talk about this publicly.
Not sure how to do PM. Do you have to be a paid member? DNA test really? thought that was all just for heritage stuff lol

Our chiropractor has always helped our kids when they get an ear infection. A few trips and they're good. Then we remember to continue to go to him and it's helped prevent any further ear infections.
Yeah don't do that. It probably wasn't really an infection, it was probably just congestion of some kind that was causing ear pressure. I get soreness in my left ear related to allergies.

Kids can DIE of an ear infection that isn't properly treated with antibiotics.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
This is not an accepted way to deal with ear infections...
A surgical procedure with someone cutting a hole in your childs ear and inserting a foreign object should be the last option. Also rounds of antibiotics with many known side effects are safer. There's some evidence to show chiropractic can help certain types of ear infections.

Yeah don't do that. It probably wasn't really an infection, it was probably just congestion of some kind that was causing ear pressure. I get soreness in my left ear related to allergies.

Kids can DIE of an ear infection that isn't properly treated with antibiotics.
You're correct, it may not have been an ear infection. We were just assuming it was so it's very possible it was just congestion of some kind, which looking back is most likely what it was.

I just know working the ear can help with the drainage which can help prevent ear infections.

This is not an accepted way to deal with ear infections...
I was in a rush with my original post. Looking back it was most likely just congestion of some kind creating pressure in the ear. My point was meant to be that chiropractic care can more than just back & neck pain.

I was in a rush with my original post. Looking back it was most likely just congestion of some kind creating pressure in the ear. My point was meant to be that chiropractic care can more than just back & neck pain.

Do we all understand what peer reviewing does? What studies do?

Not sure how to do PM. Do you have to be a paid member? DNA test really? thought that was all just for heritage stuff lol
Wow, I guess you cant do it here, lol.

No, you can get DNA tests done for all sorts of things. I had mine done to determine what pharmaceuticals are effective for me. I got about 6 pages worth of information from it that dealt with all kinds of stuff.

Wow, I guess you cant do it here, lol.

No, you can get DNA tests done for all sorts of things. I had mine done to determine what pharmaceuticals are effective for me. I got about 6 pages worth of information from it that dealt with all kinds of stuff.
Where did you go to get that done?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT