ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Purple mattress/alternatives

SeaOfRed75

Senior
Dec 5, 2010
Mattress is done for. Wife has tasked me with picking out the next mattress. Looking/thinking of the Purple or Purple 3. Anyone have these? How do they hold up over time if you've had em. Any other brands you suggest? Ideas GO.

Got ours from Costco, it's memory foam and comes compressed in a bag just like the purple mattress does. We like it a lot.

Can't recall the brand, it's one of the big names like Sealy or Serta or whatever. You will find that they've made cross-comparing impossible when mattress shopping, hence the reason I just trusted Costco's reputation and didn't look back.

Got ours from Costco, it's memory foam and comes compressed in a bag just like the purple mattress does. We like it a lot.

Can't recall the brand, it's one of the big names like Sealy or Serta or whatever. You will find that they've made cross-comparing impossible when mattress shopping, hence the reason I just trusted Costco's reputation and didn't look back.

Got a GHOSTBED 7 years ago, LOVE IT- plus it came with 2 pillows. 110 day risk free trial..

We have the Nectar and it has been great. Were skeptical about bed in a box, but the bed rocks.
Im guessing most of these are memory foam.

Sleep hot?

Also for those that have had them awhile how are they holding up? Have heard memory foam can degrade over time and not "bounce back" like it's supposed to. Develop valleys etc. Noticing any of this?

Sleep hot?

Also for those that have had them awhile how are they holding up? Have heard memory foam can degrade over time and not "bounce back" like it's supposed to. Develop valleys etc. Noticing any of this?
No one in our family liked the memory foam. It's under the bed now

We have a hybrid mattress from Ikea that is comfortable, but if you get within 6" of the edge it collapses under you and you roll onto the floor. Plus, you have to assemble the stupid box spring yourself, because Ikea. 3/10 would not recommend, except for a kid's bed.

We ordered an Avocado mattress-in-a-box. Very high quality, but expensive, and a little too firm for my taste.

I still sleep on a regular Serta, which I bought because it was produced about a mile from my house. At least, it was back then. They moved the factory, of course.

Sleep hot?

im a big guy who worried about the heat—- 7 years in with no issues, very comfortable sleep

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
What about the 8 track tape and player?
unsure of that, but sales of the cassettes are expected to double this year..

for now, it's being led by Lady Gaga, Selena Gomez, Dua Lipa, etc.

https://www.altpress.com/news/cassette-tape-sales-2020/

I busted out my tapes and player from a box in the attic, and all that stuff so far, still worked.

I was head banging to some 80's classics I had recorded on the show Metal Shop..

I even had some stuff from the King Biscuit Flower Hour.. great memories.

Mattress is done for. Wife has tasked me with picking out the next mattress. Looking/thinking of the Purple or Purple 3. Anyone have these? How do they hold up over time if you've had em. Any other brands you suggest? Ideas GO.
I have the original purple, ive liked it, but honestly never felt much of a difference between that and a normal mattress... it is very heave and once you lay it on your box spring you won’t have to worry too much about it moving around... over all I don’t regret the purchase but I think my next one will be a sleep number...

Reactions: SeaOfRed75

I busted out my tapes and player from a box in the attic, and all that stuff so far, still worked.

I was head banging to some 80's classics I had recorded on the show Metal Shop..

I’m just messing with ya, you must be to young for 8 tracks. They were cool except in the winter time when it got cold the tape would drag until your car and the tape warmed up. The good ole days Smokin

I’m just messing with ya, you must be to young for 8 tracks. They were cool except in the winter time when it got cold the tape would drag until your car and the tape warmed up. The good ole days Smokin
And change channels in the middle of a song. :)

We have a Zinus California king. 56K reviews on Amazon. We put a 3 inch Linenspa cool gel memory foam topper on top of that. Great sleep. With a platform frame, prolly spent $650 total for all 3.

more expensive but worth it. If you can find a distributor, "V-Spring" is great. there are several models.
Of course, Hastens is the ultimate but who wants to pay the price of a Porsche or Maserati.

Metal Shop and King Biscuit Flower Hour. Damn good memories!!!

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Sleep hot?

It does seem a touch warmer but we also got really thick, soft sheets at the same time. I generally have a hard time sleeping if it's over 68 in the room.

waterbeds are coming back, baby

I've got a temperpedic. Best mattress I've ever had next to a free flowing waterbed. They are super expensive but there is an old saying that the only day you worry about price is the day you buy it. After that you worry about quality. Suppose to last for 20 years.

Reactions: gw2kpro
We have a Purple 4. Best bed we’ve ever owned by far. Tried 3 other mattresses before the Purple. That sucked... ordering them, trying them out and then Returning them. The Purple has held up pretty well. Have had it for about a 1 1/2 years and had a little bit of dip where we sleep but not bad. Crazy comfortable bed. Sleeps cool too! Highly recommend!

btw, memory foam pillows are horrible. Tried a few of them and I can’t imagine how anyone could use one of those heavy planks for a pillow.

You can try Foam Memory Mattress, they are good quality now. I bought mine from https://bestmattress.co.uk/best-3000-pocket-sprung-mattress-uk/ and I chose the Memory Mattress! The price is very affordable based on the features of the product. The mattress is soft and very comfortable, as I wished. Also, due to my usual back pain, this mattress gives me full muscle relaxation during sleep. I had one more from this company, the orthopedic one, for 3 years, but it was quite too firm. This one is softer! You can look on their site, they have more types! I higly recommend their products!

Last edited:
Reactions: skunkman
On a serious note, I bought a latex composite spring bed. Latex sleeps a little cooler and has good durability. Works for me.

I bought a previous bed that turned out to be too hard for me but rather than return it, I bought a latex topper to put on it. That worked out well, so I am not scoffing at toppers. I ended up moving that to the spare room though for other reasons but the latex topper prompted me to get a latex bed.

Zenni green tea California King from Amazon. Approx $300. Have had it for two and a half years. It's wonderful.

I hear the cassette tape is coming back too.. reminds me of the days of mix tapes.
Computers are also a fad. We're going back to IBM Selectircs and carbon paper. I can almost smell the toner from the mimeograph machine now.

ADVERTISEMENT