ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Potentially relocating to Blair

Any updates on the home search?

• Wow
Reactions: WHCSC
Welp, It's a hard knock life out there. Earlier this week we put in one offer hours after a property went onto the market... over asking price, plus offered to pay a pretty decent sized assessment coming due before we would close, plus waived repairs under a certain amount, and apparently we weren't even in the running. SO, still waiting for something else to come around we like, but also looking at future build sites for when material prices come down. The good news is, I did find a good gig already (a much better one than I have now) so it seems like we made the right choice so far even though we're homeless.

Welp, It's a hard knock life out there. Earlier this week we put in one offer hours after a property went onto the market... over asking price, plus offered to pay a pretty decent sized assessment coming due before we would close, plus waived repairs under a certain amount, and apparently we weren't even in the running. SO, still waiting for something else to come around we like, but also looking at future build sites for when material prices come down. The good news is, I did find a good gig already (a much better one than I have now) so it seems like we made the right choice so far even though we're homeless.
I wouldn’t expect material prices coming down any time sooner than 18-24 months, manufacturing break even price on 7/16 osb was about 4-5 dollars, and retail was 8-12 just a year ago, now approximately 45-50 a sheet. As a business, would you turn down those profits or would you keep rolling until market demands forced you to lower prices? As a builder, it’s insane what has happened with home prices, a house that use to cost 300-325(nothing fancy) now costs 400 plus to build, nobody is getting rich except product manufacturer. I expect a lot of people in the future who built now to be scratching their heads and thinking why did we do that. Hopefully prices do come down to be more manageable

I wouldn’t expect material prices coming down any time sooner than 18-24 months, manufacturing break even price on 7/16 osb was about 4-5 dollars, and retail was 8-12 just a year ago, now approximately 45-50 a sheet. As a business, would you turn down those profits or would you keep rolling until market demands forced you to lower prices? As a builder, it’s insane what has happened with home prices, a house that use to cost 300-325(nothing fancy) now costs 400 plus to build, nobody is getting rich except product manufacturer. I expect a lot of people in the future who built now to be scratching their heads and thinking why did we do that. Hopefully prices do come down to be more manageable
I'll admit it, I'm scratching my head now. We got priced out of what we wanted to build. Exactly what you were saying. We'd have to go to 450k to get what we want, but we had to draw the line @400k. Trying a couple other builders to see if we can get in under 4. Begrudgingly looking at existing homes now, may have to just remodel as we go. Wish I wouldn't have hopped off the train a year ago, I could have moved in by now.

I just made the move from Bennington to Blair in April. I love it here. House prices are too high, just like everywhere else. There's a housing shortage here and they are very reluctant to add more new housing lots until certain issues are solved. It will only get worse when the DG warehouse opens.
As soon as the retail park at 156th and State is finished Bennington will get annexed. I want nothing to do with Omaha. Mean Jean wants that tax base out there.
Someone mentioned in Blair that truck go down main street. This will go away when the bypass is finished. Another post said it smells like dog food in Blair when ConAgra fires up. I assume they meant Cargill. I don't smell that and Cargill never shuts down. If there is a ConAgra dog food production out here then my apologies. I didn't know about it.
Blair has its own issues just like everywhere else. It's a good small town.

I am so out of touch with reality on home prices. Where are all these peoole working? Those house payments would be well north of $3,500 a month...I don't get it. I did not know Omaha had that many great paying jobs. I guess remote working has opened up the flood gates maybe and people are coming from the coasts?

I am so out of touch with reality on home prices. Where are all these peoole working? Those house payments would be well north of $3,500 a month...I don't get it. I did not know Omaha had that many great paying jobs. I guess remote working has opened up the flood gates maybe and people are coming from the coasts?
It's not just the high end homes though. My dad put in an offer on a house listed at 230 I think. His offer said he would top any offer up to 280. It ended up going for 320 and it wasn't worth the 230 they were asking.

No shit! I live near a country club, the houses are insane and I always wonder how people afford a house that has a mortgage of 5 or 10K a month.

Hope youre right. But Biden won Omaha by 12 points, Riots were awful this summer, and I wouldnt be surprised if Jean Stothert is soundly beaten in the mayoral election based on how Biden trounced Trump here. Paypal, Facebook, Google, and other tech companies are importing tech workers here en masse. Only a matter of time before Omaha craters imo.
In the words of jack posobiec: get out of cities.

• Haha
Thanking my lucky stars I'm not involved in this circus. My house is paid for later this year and the payment numbers you guys are talking about make me want to vomit.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
No shit! I live near a country club, the houses are insane and I always wonder how people afford a house that has a mortgage of 5 or 10K a month.
I hear you though. We have really good incomes, and we are nowhere near being able to afford a 5-10K/month mortgage, at least responsibly.

Try Bennington
I was in Bennington this weekend for graduation. Never been there before. What a strange town. Definitely a bedroom community for Omaha. For that big of a school AND surrounding Newport landing etc, very few stores in Bennington. I guess most buy everything in Omaha and then stay in their houses. IF I lived in Newport landing I would too!!!

You'll have to enlighten me. What's an HOL'er?
I own a house a few blocks east of Aksarben Village that we'll probably put on the market in the next few weeks. Side split with an oversized 2 car garage. Nice neighborhood on Pacific in the 260K area. We've had some family renting it and they are moving out of town. 3 bdrm on main. Fireplace. New flooring throughout. New roof and gutters.

Thanking my lucky stars I'm not involved in this circus. My house is paid for later this year and the payment numbers you guys are talking about make me want to vomit.
Interest rates are super low and housing prices are super high! Ugggg!

My house is assessed at about 125K more than I bought it for, it is nuts
I was in Bennington this weekend for graduation. Never been there before. What a strange town. Definitely a bedroom community for Omaha. For that big of a school AND surrounding Newport landing etc, very few stores in Bennington. I guess most buy everything in Omaha and then stay in their houses. IF I lived in Newport landing I would too!!!
Yeah, nothing as far as stores go will ever really end up in Bennington.

I own a house a few blocks east of Aksarben Village that we'll probably put on the market in the next few weeks. Side split with an oversized 2 car garage. Nice neighborhood on Pacific in the 260K area. We've had some family renting it and they are moving out of town. 3 bdrm on main. Fireplace. New flooring throughout. New roof and gutters.
I appreciate that. For us it's too far away from the hospital in Blair, but it sounds like nice affordable option for somebody. That's a good area from what I've seen.

The area is called Newport Landing. I think it's a "see and be seen" type of 'hood. They have a very nice paved walking/bike trail that goes a square mile around the development.
My wife said, "I guess this is what you call keeping up with the Jones's". I replied," this is the Jones's"!!

Cool area but houses too close together for me!!

I appreciate that. For us it's too far away from the hospital in Blair, but it sounds like nice affordable option for somebody. That's a good area from what I've seen.
Out of curiosity, did you look on the Iowa side at all? Just wondering if there's any housing in the Loess Hills area.

If not, I'll bet developers will get there soon.

Out of curiosity, did you look on the Iowa side at all? Just wondering if there's any housing in the Loess Hills area.

If not, I'll bet developers will get there soon.
Hate to say it but taxes probably cheaper

11 minutes to hospital.

Hope youre right. But Biden won Omaha by 12 points, Riots were awful this summer, and I wouldnt be surprised if Jean Stothert is soundly beaten in the mayoral election based on how Biden trounced Trump here. Paypal, Facebook, Google, and other tech companies are importing tech workers here en masse. Only a matter of time before Omaha craters imo.
Good lord.

11 minutes to hospital.
We saw that one. Realtor told us to stay away from that area. We're frustrated. At this point would rather overpay for a house we build than overpay for someone else's. We're going to wait it out another week or two. The smartest thing would be to just rent for a year or two, but I'm not sure we're that smart.

We saw that one. Realtor told us to stay away from that area. We're frustrated. At this point would rather overpay for a house we build than overpay for someone else's. We're going to wait it out another week or two. The smartest thing would be to just rent for a year or two, but I'm not sure we're that smart.
It sucks not having permanence, but I would rent something modest for a year and get a feel for where you do want to build. Keep an eye on Ft Calhoun too. Not very big, but close enough to Blair and kind of a quiet, sleepy town.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Lakeland is pretty rough

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT