ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Potentially relocating to Blair

Hope youre right. But Biden won Omaha by 12 points, Riots were awful this summer, and I wouldnt be surprised if Jean Stothert is soundly beaten in the mayoral election based on how Biden trounced Trump here. Paypal, Facebook, Google, and other tech companies are importing tech workers here en masse. Only a matter of time before Omaha craters imo.

They did a number on the Old Market that's for sure.....sad.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's old news. They've widened and straightened Hwy 133 / Blair High Road to a divided 4-lane and it has a 70 mph speed limit. Prior to that transition, it was a terribly unsafe road to travel.
I've been on that road a few times since they widened it. The stoplights are maddening and it's a multi-car collision waiting to happen. It's better than what they had but it's a nightmare IMO.

Reactions: WHCSC
Hope youre right. But Biden won Omaha by 12 points, Riots were awful this summer, and I wouldnt be surprised if Jean Stothert is soundly beaten in the mayoral election based on how Biden trounced Trump here. Paypal, Facebook, Google, and other tech companies are importing tech workers here en masse. Only a matter of time before Omaha craters imo.

And then the Jewish Laser Beams will hit.

I was in Vermillion two weeks ago for the first time and thought it was a pretty cool little town, curious what some of the people do for a living though that supported some of the home prices there. This sign cracked me up though...

Lx2LZ7N.jpg
A large percentage of Vermillion's population work for the University of South Dakota. Their isn't much industry other than their medical clinic and hospital. I owned a business there for a few years but never lived there. It's an interesting dynamic with the extremely liberal college staff and the conservative ag community. It was lucrative for me but was glad when somebody wanted to overpay for my business.

Reactions: BigO4WYO
Trump lost the support of many republicans, I don't think Stothert has that problem and will get re-elected. Are you referring to the six employees required to run those behemoth data centers near Papillion and Springfield?

Trump lost the support of many republicans, I don't think Stothert has that problem and will get re-elected. Are you referring to the six employees required to run those behemoth data centers near Papillion and Springfield?
This. Trump was his own worst enemy. People were willing to take on rising energy prices, higher taxes, consumer inflation, chaos at the border, Middle East war, and the war on women and girls if it meant orange man bad would be out of office. The crossovers sure did make a point though.

It's only 13 money-saving miles from Blair to Missouri Valley, IA.

If you can resist shooting yourself in the head, the cost of living would probably be low.

(Actually the Loess Hills area is kind of pretty...)
I keep thinking I might retire to a place in the Loess Hills. It's hard to find that kind of scenery anywhere around here.

Reactions: schuele
I keep thinking I might retire to a place in the Loess Hills. It's hard to find that kind of scenery anywhere around here.
Yeah I have no idea if there's any housing available in that area, but if I worked in Blair I would definitely give it a look.

For the size of Vermillion it has a nice selection of non chain restaurants. It's way better than Yankton. If you living comfortably now I wouldn't make the move. If your wife is driving from vermillion to sioux falls I would consider just moving to Sioux Falls over Omaha.

I hope youre right. But ive been in the belly of the beast. Lived downtown the last few years. Covid and the riots have done a number on downtown. I got the point I wouldnt go outside my apartment without carrying. Its the worst Ive ever seen it. Its not just Facebook and Google. The Silicon Prairie is a very real thing. and those people only vote one way.

Another Washington Countyian (WashCo) here. If your criteria is within 15 minutes of work you're limited to Blair proper or some of the acreage developments nearby. Maybe Ft. Calhoun but that's a stretch on 2-lane highway. Something else to keep in mind is if you have to be within 15 minutes of work, every trip into Omaha will be at least 1 hour round-trip, so you'll need to factor that into your errand running, if you get a job in Omaha, etc. In general Blair is a nice little town with some decent neighborhoods, limited restaurants and even more limited retail. I'm not sure of your political persuasion, and it's none of my business, but WashCo is heavy R. Blair is one of the few communities close to the Omaha metro that voted down a mask mandate after strong citizen resistance. I'm tier 2 for a vaccine and sometimes wonder how much demand there will be, but I think about only 5% of WashCo believes Covid is real so I should be in good shape. :p

Last edited:
Decision made. My wife took the position and we'll be moving sometime in August. We are looking at all housing options in Washington County/Omaha within 20 minutes to MCH in Blair. Thanks everyone who weighed in. This is not a financial decision this is an overall quality of life decision based on our criteria. I will be seeing you guys at Husker or Storm Chasers games soon.

P.S. If anyone works for an organization that is in need of an HR Manager/Director/Business Partner let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Decision made. My wife took the position and we'll be moving sometime in August. We are looking at all housing options in Washington County/Omaha. Thanks everyone who weighed in. This is not a financial decision this is an overall quality of life decision based on our criteria. I will be seeing you guys at Husker or Storm Chasers games soon.

P.S. If anyone works for an organization that is in need of an HR Manager/Director/Business Partner let me know. Thanks
I'll see you on Highway 133 👋

Decision made. My wife took the position and we'll be moving sometime in August. We are looking at all housing options in Washington County/Omaha within 20 minutes to MCH in Blair. Thanks everyone who weighed in. This is not a financial decision this is an overall quality of life decision based on our criteria. I will be seeing you guys at Husker or Storm Chasers games soon.

Good call, we love it out here in Washington county. Spacious, quiet, and easy access to the places we need to go in Omaha or Blair. Lower property taxes too.

In the primary Stothert got 60% of the vote. Seems to me she should get about the same in the runoff.

Welcome to WashCo, and good luck with your home search! This could be your next casa...
Haha yeah we've already drooled a little bit over that one, especially since we lived in New Mexico. I could probably swing half of it.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Any Eastern Midlands Conference town is a good place to live ....except Plattsmouth
Plattsmouth isn't in the EMC anymore. So there ya go. I'd live in Plattsmouth, but then I'm not into acres of particle board houses that all look the same.

So you're saying the blue people haven't moved in and ruined it yet. :)
tenor.gif

Welcome to WashCo, and good luck with your home search! This could be your next casa...
That's probably a second home for most of HOL'ers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT