ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phoenix

BCBall20

Sophomore
Nov 13, 2003
Taking the family (ages 13 & 9) to Arizona for 6 days. We are going to spend 3 days doing Grand Canyon and Sedona and 3 days in Phoenix. Any recommendations on things to do or places to eat in the Phoenix area? Thank you in advance!

I haven't been to a ton of different places yet but Culinary Dropout is one of my top spots. Good food and beer selection. Also has an outdoor area with Bags and ping pong and such the kids might like(at least the Tempe location does).

Reactions: BCBall20
Taking the family (ages 13 & 9) to Arizona for 6 days. We are going to spend 3 days doing Grand Canyon and Sedona and 3 days in Phoenix. Any recommendations on things to do or places to eat in the Phoenix area? Thank you in advance!
So when exactly is this trip? Today’s forecasted high temperature for Phoenix is 97 and IMO really narrows down the options when temps are going to be that high or higher. Stay close to the pool during the day and take the kiddos to indoor places like Dave and Busters for grub and games.
Also, take along a lot of water to the GC this time of year.
Have fun!
GBR!

Pizzeria Bianco close to downtown or Los Olivos in Old Town Scottsdale would be a couple of casual places that kids and adults can both enjoy.

Grand Canyon this time of year should be in the 60's-70's with low 80's as well. Sedona a bit warmer with mostly 70's, 80's. Like ice cream? Take the family to the Sugar Bowl in Scottsdale, or what they call Old Town Scottsdale, there's a lot of shops and eateries in the Old Town district, worth a look.

A good water resort is the Hilton Phoenix resort at the Peak, so if it's hot, a good place to stay and have some fun.

Last edited:
  • Love
Arizona Grand is a great family resort with waterpark.

Plenty of options for food and resturaunts.

Sedona- Coffee Pot
PHX- Sandbar Chandler , Vincents Camelback

Just west of Flagstaff (and in fact almost directly south of Grand Canyon village) is Williams, AZ. It has a couple of good hotels, as well as a brewery or two, and I think now a winery, and other stuff to do. I recommend going there. In fact, if you stay there, they have a train to Grand Canyon Village. If you don't plan to hike all the way down, you can take the South Rim Trail from Grand Canyon Village at least part way down. There are drop offs, but no spot where we felt our kids were in danger of going over a 1,000 foot cliff if they took one step off the trail (although keep them on the trail, which is plenty wide. Note the donkeys with their riders, who often hug the outside of the trail -no thank you). Bring lots of water (like twice what you think you might need - you wont' be sorry and you can share with someone who didn't - as we did a couple of times), even if it seems not so hot near the top. Keep in mind, it will take about twice as long to go back up as it did going down, so if you have 3 hours to walk, walk down for one hour, and then start back up.

If driving, I highly recommend going through Colorado if you have time at least one of the ways. Take Highway 160 from south of Pueblo a little (Walsenburg) through Durango/Cortez to the four corners. Much more interesting drive than going through Kansas to Tucumcari NM and across I-40. Get some Navajo fry bread at the four corners. if you really have time, you can hit the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde outside of Cortez. Another side trip on that route is Great Sand Dunes National Park, 5 - 10 miles north of Highway 160 before you hit Alamosa. One of our kids' favorite stop offs back in the day. If you go that route, you can come into the Grand Canyon from the east. There are a few vantage points along that route before you get to Grand Canyon Village. Have fun. make sure the car's AC is in good working order. And, if driving going/coming directly from Phoenix to/from Omaha on the I-40 route, go through Payson (watch out for Elk) or for more mountainous drive, through Globe/Show Low.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I have a week long mountain bike trip next week in the desert and it looks like temps are a creepin up...uggh. Hate carrying 10lbs of water on those rides.

Have fun and stay cool my man!! Cannot go wrong in that area.

Just west of Flagstaff (and in fact almost directly south of Grand Canyon village) is Williams, AZ. It has a couple of good hotels, as well as a brewery or two, and I think now a winery, and other stuff to do. I recommend going there. In fact, if you stay there, they have a train to Grand Canyon Village. If you don't plan to hike all the way down, you can take the South Rim Trail from Grand Canyon Village at least part way down. There are drop offs, but no spot where we felt our kids were in danger of going over a 1,000 foot cliff if they took one step off the trail (although keep them on the trail, which is plenty wide. Note the donkeys with their riders, who often hug the outside of the trail -no thank you). Bring lots of water (like twice what you think you might need - you wont' be sorry and you can share with someone who didn't - as we did a couple of times), even if it seems not so hot near the top. Keep in mind, it will take about twice as long to go back up as it did going down, so if you have 3 hours to walk, walk down for one hour, and then start back up.

If driving, I highly recommend going through Colorado if you have time at least one of the ways. Take Highway 160 from south of Pueblo a little (Walsenburg) through Durango/Cortez to the four corners. Much more interesting drive than going through Kansas to Tucumcari NM and across I-40. Get some Navajo fry bread at the four corners. if you really have time, you can hit the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde outside of Cortez. Another side trip on that route is Great Sand Dunes National Park, 5 - 10 miles north of Highway 160 before you hit Alamosa. One of our kids' favorite stop offs back in the day. If you go that route, you can come into the Grand Canyon from the east. There are a few vantage points along that route before you get to Grand Canyon Village. Have fun. make sure the car's AC is in good working order. And, if driving going/coming directly from Phoenix to/from Omaha on the I-40 route, go through Payson (watch out for Elk) or for more mountainous drive, through Globe/Show Low.
I'll second the motion on cliff dwellings. Some will say the 4 corners is a nothing burger but I'm glad we stopped. Wish I had time to go through the monument valley area of Utah and AZ

Reactions: bigboxes
Not sure of your schedule or if need Sedona suggestions but we go there often and have many favorite places.

Breakfast - Coffee Pot Cafe is OK but we like Miley's Cafe down in Oak Creek Village better. While you're in the Village, Desert Flower Bakery if you want bake goods is delicious.

If you like Mexican the Oaxaca Restaurant in Uptown Sedona is good. (We haven't been there in like 6 years so that is based on our past meals)

For lunch - our favorite is Wildflower Bread Company in the Pinon Pointe shopping center in front of the Hyatt Residence Club Time Share. (Just before you get into Uptown Sedona) Also the Spoke & Wheel Traven in the Los Arrigados Resort is good.

For Dinner - our favorite is Javalina Cantina just east of Tlaquepaque Arts & Shopping Village. Also in Tlaquepaque is the Oak Creek Brewery & Grill which is very good.

In Phoenix, we usually stayed out in Apache Junction so I wouldn't be much help with Phoenix proper.

Last edited:
Not sure of your schedule or if need Sedona suggestions but we go there often and have many favorite places.

Breakfast - Coffee Pot Cafe is OK but we like Miley's Cafe down in Oak Creek Village better. While your in the Village, Desert Flower Bakery if you want bake goods is delicious.

If you like Mexican the Oaxaca Restaurant in Uptown Sedona is good. (We haven't been there in like 6 years so that is based on our past meals)

For lunch - our favorite is Wildflower Bread Company in the Pinon Pointe shopping center in front of the Hyatt Residence Club Time Share. (Just before you get into Uptown Sedona) Also the Spoke & Wheel Traven in the Los Arrigados Resort is good.

For Dinner - our favorite is Javalina Cantina just east of Tlaquepaque Arts & Shopping Village. Also in Tlaquepaque is the Oak Creek Brewery & Grill which is very good.

In Phoenix, we usually stayed out in Apache Junction so I wouldn't be much help with Phoenix proper.
Thank you everyone for the recommendations! We are headed their in about a week. Looking forward to the trip and will have to try some of the recommendations!

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! We are headed their in about a week. Looking forward to the trip and will have to try some of the recommendations!
When in Sedona I would go eat at the restaurant that looks out over their little airport assuming they're still open. We ate there a couple of times and had great food and service 2 years ago. It was fun to watch some of the planes taking off and landing while we waited for food and then ate. One of the locals at a lodge we stayed at said it was the best place to eat in Sedona. The chefs there did a great job.

In another week it may be “F”ing hot but still a great place with tons to do. Can’t go wrong in Scottsdale for things to do great restaurants a plenty

Sedona and the Grand Canyon aren't very close together so trying to do both in 3 days might not give you much time in either location. You might want more time in both places. As for Phoenix I recommend the Desert Botanical Garden, Camelback Mountain and other mountain wilderness areas, etc. Good places to stay are the Marriot in N Phoenix (Desert Ridge?) and the Arizona Grand (both are nice resorts with extensive pool areas.

Breakfast - Coffee Pot Cafe is OK but we like Miley's Cafe down in Oak Creek Village better. While you're in the Village, Desert Flower Bakery if you want bake goods is delicious.

If you're going to have dinner in Sedona, this is this place.

https://www.lauberge.com/dining/cress-on-oak-creek/

Lot of cools things to do in Phoenix.. You could try tubing down the salt river, but bring a lot of sunscreen.

It's been a long time since I've lived there, but Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, and down into Mesa, there are a lot of really cool places to see and things to do.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT