ADVERTISEMENT

OT Philip Rivers retires

The game will miss him. A fierce competitor, one of the best trash talkers ever, and all-around good guy.
Heading home to Alabama to coach high school ball. Good for him! Gold jacket coming.
Good for him and his 8 (so far) kids! He'll have more fun coaching and being rich than playing football.

His generation's Dan Marino. Prolific passer who never accomplished anything of significance.
That’s an insult to Marino. He shattered QB records and revolutionized the game into the pass-heavy league it’s become today. At worst he’s the 3rd best QB of his era behind Montana and Elway. Sucks that he didn’t win a ring, but he did at least play for one.

Rivers was maybe the 6th best QB of his era? Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben all ahead of him. He was good, but not feared. Would be a shame if he gets into the Hall.

That’s an insult to Marino. He shattered QB records and revolutionized the game into the pass-heavy league it’s become today. At worst he’s the 3rd best QB of his era behind Montana and Elway. Sucks that he didn’t win a ring, but he did at least play for one.

Rivers was maybe the 6th best QB of his era? Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben all ahead of him. He was good, but not feared. Would be a shame if he gets into the Hall.
The Chargers went after Rivers and threw away Brees. I was always happy that Brees had the better career and got a superbowl, plus all of the records.

The Chargers went after Rivers and threw away Brees. I was always happy that Brees had the better career and got a superbowl, plus all of the records.
I think it's unfair to criticize SD with that situation. Brees wasn't that good there. His first two years were horrible so the franchise started to doubt him. That's why they took Rivers (well, Eli... but we know the story).

Instead of handing the keys to the rookie right away, they started Brees and he tore it up in his third year. That put them in a pickle. Brees had one year left on his contract so they decided to give him a shot to prove that the prior season was legit. He had an alright year, but not as good. That made the decision even more difficult.

Then you have to consider: why did Brees suddenly explode in New Orleans? Did he actually improve that much, or was he a perfect fit for Sean Payton's scheme? I'd say the latter.

To me there's no reason to think Brees would've done any better than Rivers had he stayed in SD.

I think it's unfair to criticize SD with that situation. Brees wasn't that good there. His first two years were horrible so the franchise started to doubt him. That's why they took Rivers (well, Eli... but we know the story).

Instead of handing the keys to the rookie right away, they started Brees and he tore it up in his third year. That put them in a pickle. Brees had one year left on his contract so they decided to give him a shot to prove that the prior season was legit. He had an alright year, but not as good. That made the decision even more difficult.

Then you have to consider: why did Brees suddenly explode in New Orleans? Did he actually improve that much, or was he a perfect fit for Sean Payton's scheme? I'd say the latter.

To me there's no reason to think Brees would've done any better than Rivers had he stayed in SD.
Don’t forget that Brees also had a major injury in the last game of his last season in San Diego.

The game will miss him. A fierce competitor, one of the best trash talkers ever, and all-around good guy.
Heading home to Alabama to coach high school ball. Good for him! Gold jacket coming.
I won't miss him in the least. Seemed like a whiny b*tch. Didn't help the Colts this year. Never won jack in SD. If he gets a gold jacket, it will be because he bought one at Old Navy.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
He’ll get in because the standards have fallen. The writers will crow about him being top 5 in about every passing category all time. He ought to be. They put green jerseys on QBs and kept changing rules to make sure that the offense could succeed.

Guys like Aikman, Young, and Montana would all have put up stats like this if they had the rules amendments these guys have. Guys like Bradshaw, Staubach, and Unitas would too. Unfortunately, their receivers got mugged and it was perfectly legal to ear hole them as long as the whistle hadnt blown yet.

The NFL Hall is like the others. Watered down to maintain a look of relevancy for the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT