ADVERTISEMENT

OT Penn State goes woke

Status
Not open for further replies.
The use of "they" is limited to very few situations, mostly predicated on the saying that can denote a number of people in case there are more than 1. Or if the sex of the person is unknown due to lack of information.

"Are they coming", "where are they" are phrases that many use to refer to a group or a single person. It is used so commonly because the understanding by the recipient understands the reasoning. Just like "hey guys" can mean a group of guys or just a group of people, even if there are women present.
If we brush away all of the politics, my point is that linguistically there is already a precedent for using "they" in singular form. Don't misinterpret my position on the matter. I find it annoying and I really struggle to use "they" even when someone specifically tells me to use it. That leads to my second point. Despite all of the pushback it's already becoming commonplace. I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable with it, but my opinions don't mean jack. The only thing we can count on is that things can and will change.

If we brush away all of the politics, my point is that linguistically there is already a precedent for using "they" in singular form. Don't misinterpret my position on the matter. I find it annoying and I really struggle to use "they" even when someone specifically tells me to use it. That leads to my second point. Despite all of the pushback it's already becoming commonplace. I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable with it, but my opinions don't mean jack. The only thing we can count on is that things can and will change.
I wonder how many would struggle to use "they" in the singular sense for individual people. I'm guessing the vast majority. Is that usually the case when languages gradually change over time? Shouldn't languages change organically, not be shoe horned? Especially when we are talking about changing one of the very foundations of the language. I guess I don't see the necessity of it.

I wonder how many would struggle to use "they" in the singular sense for individual people. I'm guessing the vast majority. Is that usually the case when languages gradually change over time? Shouldn't languages change organically, not be shoe horned? Especially when we are talking about changing one of the very foundations of the language. I guess I don't see the necessity of it.
I don't know. I imagine it's a bit of both. The part that feels forced is for people of a certain age, meaning over 35 or 40. I'm in this group, which is why I find it so difficult to use. But for younger people I can tell they've just adapted or adopted organically. They don't even think about it.

There are other words that younger people use that drive me nuts. I hear my daughters using these words all the time. They hurt my eardrums.

I don't know. I imagine it's a bit of both. The part that feels forced is for people of a certain age, meaning over 35 or 40. I'm in this group, which is why I find it so difficult to use. But for younger people I can tell they've just adapted or adopted organically. They don't even think about it.

There are other words that younger people use that drive me nuts. I hear my daughters using these words all the time. They hurt my eardrums.
I'm in the same age bracket. I have yet to hear anyone in my life use "they" when referring to someone, other than with those sayings I listed. I've never heard, "Jan is working today" , "Yeah, they are". It honestly makes very little sense. I don't believe people own pronouns and having rules for each person seems highly pedantic.

I'm in the same age bracket. I have yet to hear anyone in my life use "they" when referring to someone, other than with those sayings I listed. I've never heard, "Jan is working today" , "Yeah, they are". It honestly makes very little sense. I don't believe people own pronouns and having rules for each person seems highly pedantic.
I live in Texas, and have two teenage daughters. I also work in an industry that puts me in contact with lots of people in theirs 20s. It comes up quite a bit when I'm around these folks.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
I live in Texas, and have two teenage daughters. I also work in an industry that puts me in contact with lots of people in theirs 20s. It comes up quite a bit when I'm around these folks.
There are linguistic oddities in the English language for sure. Redefining "they" is like redefining the letter "P". For example, sometimes the letter "P" is silent. According to the "they" people, therefore we should be allowed to and maybe even required to pronounce the letter "P" as silent in all words going forward.

It's all goofy nonsense. They are looking for validations to their new found gender name games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigred_b1624
There are linguistic oddities in the English language for sure. Redefining "they" is like redefining the letter "C". For example, sometimes the letter "C" is silent. According to the "they" people, therefore we should be allowed to and maybe even required to pronounce the letter "C" as silent in all words going forward.

It's all goofy nonsense. They are looking for validations to their new found gender name games.
It just sounds wrong, I can't hear it. And I have a hard time feeling comfortable using it. And I feel irritated with the people who introduce themselves with "my pronoun is" as if I care or need to know. I feel like getting offended later in the conversation because they were insensitive to my favorite color or because they didn't bother to ask for my preferred zodiac sign. At the end of the day I just have too much other crap to deal with to worry about some 20-year-old with gender confusion.

It just sounds wrong, I can't hear it. And I have a hard time feeling comfortable using it. And I feel irritated with the people who introduce themselves with "my pronoun is" as if I care or need to know. I feel like getting offended later in the conversation because they were insensitive to my favorite color or because they didn't bother to ask for my preferred zodiac sign. At the end of the day I just have too much other crap to deal with to worry about some 20-year-old with gender confusion.
I live in Texas, speak to 100 people a day, if not more, many of whom are younger than 30 and I have never had anyone introduce themselves to me with "my pronoun is".

It is an inherent human trait to resist change. We instinctively reject what is foreign to us. But change is a fact of life. The English language has evolved and it will continue to evolve. Short of forcing people to speak a certain way I don't see how you prevent change. Think about it: "colorful" expressions, regional use of language, generational changes, culture shifts and on and on. All of these things influence how we speak. We say things now that people thought crazy and offensive a generation ago. One of the more recent shifts is the use of the singular "they". I personally find it annoying, but a linguist pointed out to me that most of us use the singular form of "they" without realizing it. Bottom line, people can rant all day long, but these shifts are still going to occur.

Separately, this board leans right. I don't doubt that many Republicans think Democrats are insane. I'm pretty sure if this were a different forum you'd be hearing about how Democrats think Republicans are insane. At the end of the day we all use the same language to describe those we disagree with. Republicans insist that Democrats are forcing their views on them and vice versa. From a purely academic perspective I might describe it like this: Rs don't want the views of Ds to force them to change. Ds don't want the views of Rs to restrict them from change. I'm not going to make a value judgement, but from a historical perspective, change is going to happen. It always does.
A ridiculous attempt at justifying a highjacking of both moral and cultural corruption and labeling it just words and inevitable. Get a clue.

The phrase butt diddling and the word children should never be used in the same sentence.

With that said, the term butt diddling is an underused phrase, when not used with the word children, and should be used much more frequently. JMHO

Now that you told us just how this works, and to provide cover for the far left, provide examples from the right you alluded to. There is nothing that will not be touched by the far left bent on recreating a new world order.
The far right is too busy reframing and fictionalizing history that they cannot trouble themselves to get tied up in knots over renaming stuff.

The far right and the far left are exactly what is wrong with this country. And the pawns (or sheep) spend all day excusing something that one side does by bringing up something that the other side does.

sounds pretty stupid. but i can tell from your post that you consider this to be part of a political issue related to one party when in fact both parties try to get rid of as much stuff as possible that they dont like.
One party wants to do away with illegals, sex trafficking, pedophiles, killing unborn babies, voter fraud, desecration of monuments, handouts from the government, war in the middle east, etc… and the other that thinks boy and girls aren’t boys and girls unless they say so, pronouns are offensive, and syrup and rice is racist. Yep, basically the same thing.

One party wants to do away with illegals, sex trafficking, pedophiles, killing unborn babies, voter fraud, desecration of monuments, handouts from the government, war in the middle east, etc… and the other that thinks boy and girls aren’t boys and girls unless they say so, pronouns are offensive, and syrup and rice is racist. Yep, basically the same thing.
LOL
this warped, out of reality view of people and the political parties is why there is so much danger in politics right now. you actually believe the made up shit people say about others.
fyi- you have neighbors who are democrats and republicans who your description does not fit at all. You are confirmation that the media's attempts to make all members of the opposite party look like extremists is working, when in fact, the vast majority of each party's members are not anything like they are described.
i guess i'll look for you at the next insurrection bro.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
And not one of them introduced themselves to me by saying "my name is ___________ my pronoun is _________"
That works out to about 1 person every 14.4 minutes, assuming you don't sleep. How does they work in 100 + introductions every day and still have time to be a world class twit on the Husker board? They is a very busy they.

Rep. Gaetz says hi to your little girls. So does this guy.

Reactions: anon_qczsdwtnv6esw
sounds pretty stupid. but i can tell from your post that you consider this to be part of a political issue related to one party when in fact both parties try to get rid of as much stuff as possible that they dont like. one side uses what they deem a derogatory word to describe what is commonplace in both parties. politics is now more about making people feel emotional about something then it is anything else.
and choosing well chosen words accomplishes that. and we the people just eat it up.
i wish i had something sell the people in this country because for the most part americans will buy anything.

Most people I know don't buy what politicians sell. It just so happens liberals have wandered into an extreme form of stupid, and they are finding new ways to surpass themselves. Own it. It's the crazy you voted for. Embrace it. LOL.

Most people I know don't buy what politicians sell. It just so happens liberals have wandered into an extreme form of stupid, and they are finding new ways to surpass themselves. Own it. It's the crazy you voted for. Embrace it. LOL.
Y'all embraced the crap out of Trump. That bloodfart was like "storm the capitol my minions" and y'all did it. Crazy stupid.

Y'all embraced the crap out of Trump. That bloodfart was like "storm the capitol my minions" and y'all did it. Crazy stupid.

I never voted for Trump. Is Trump a conservative? Nice "whataboutism" by the way. Own your crazy. Trumpers do.

republicans censoring their own political candidates because they dont like their opinions. censoring teachings they dont like. Voting for policies that restrict behavior they dont like. It goes on and on and on every day.
both sides are "woke".
funny how so many people can see what they want to see in others but can't see in themselves.
now im waiting for someone to say "but its different when we do it"
LOL
stop listening to the media that says what you like to hear and start listening to the other side. its the best way to educate yourself and stay balanced.

Which news organizations should I follow?

Once again a thread turns political smdh. Some of you guys just can’t help yourselves. Pony up $9.95 a month and join the open scrolls cesspool.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
LOL
this warped, out of reality view of people and the political parties is why there is so much danger in politics right now. you actually believe the made up shit people say about others.
fyi- you have neighbors who are democrats and republicans who your description does not fit at all. You are confirmation that the media's attempts to make all members of the opposite party look like extremists is working, when in fact, the vast majority of each party's members are not anything like they are described.
i guess i'll look for you at the next insurrection bro.
Ha! Yeah, you aren't an identity politics guy at all. Go blow smoke up someone else's ass bigot

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT