ADVERTISEMENT

OT Penn State goes woke

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds pretty stupid. but i can tell from your post that you consider this to be part of a political issue related to one party when in fact both parties try to get rid of as much stuff as possible that they dont like. one side uses what they deem a derogatory word to describe what is commonplace in both parties. politics is now more about making people feel emotional about something then it is anything else.
and choosing well chosen words accomplishes that. and we the people just eat it up.
i wish i had something sell the people in this country because for the most part americans will buy anything.

Good gravy Marie. We've got way more important stuff to do. Too much time on their hands.

i can tell from your post that you consider this to be part of a political issue related to one party when in fact both parties try to get rid of as much stuff as possible that they dont like.
I'm not sure that they both do.

I cannot recall an instance of one party/political philosophy calling for such a thing, it appears to be found exclusively in a one party.

Just curious if you could provide an example of the other party doing so?

Go Blue!

I present to you....Birthing persons. (Barfing emoji here)

Certain people have totally lost it and I so enjoy laughing at them now and am now longer careful about it.
I really have a hard time believing that they believe what they say they believe in.

Some of the things people say make me shake my head.

We had a donut eating contest recently and when they announced it a colleague turned to me and said "Ugggg, I hate that, it is the worst part of capitalism" and then put his/her hands over his/her face and shook his/her head.

I was speechless.

I really have a hard time believing that they believe what they say they believe in.

Some of the things people say make me shake my head.

We had a donut eating contest recently and when they announced it a colleague turned to me and said "Ugggg, I hate that, it is the worst part of capitalism" and then put his/her hands over his/her face and shook his/her head.

I was speechless.

They have achieved some results by being outragous and now feel like they have to level up on the crazy and outdo themselves and keep it going. There is no pleasing somebody who thinks anyone is offended at the words Junior and Senior. Best to just laugh at them and move on.

Considering the school that decided to do this it is not surprising. Considering the conference that this is been done in with all of the other things that have gone on that I’ve been truly terrible two people this coming about is truly not surprising. For those that want to belittle the pushback on doing something so woke that’s not surprising either. Because if you have a difference of opinion do you have to be name called you have to have all of these terrible things against you so that you will fall in line. This is a dumb idea But it has no direct impact on me or my family at this point. When it starts to come into that it will probably already be too late but on the bright side those of us who told us this is foolish to be upset about it they’ll either be long gone dead touting the next thing that’s going to make the utopia on earth possible or they’ll have some other excuse for why things are still going wrong.

I cannot recall an instance of one party/political philosophy calling for such a thing, it appears to be found exclusively in a one party.

Go Blue!
I wouldn’t expect an answer. @bingo65 says he wishes he had something to sell the American people since they’d buy almost anything, yet he can’t sell his free opinions to a single poster on a message board.

sounds pretty stupid. but i can tell from your post that you consider this to be part of a political issue related to one party when in fact both parties try to get rid of as much stuff as possible that they dont like. one side uses what they deem a derogatory word to describe what is commonplace in both parties. politics is now more about making people feel emotional about something then it is anything else.
and choosing well chosen words accomplishes that. and we the people just eat it up.
i wish i had something sell the people in this country because for the most part americans will buy anything.
Now that you told us just how this works, and to provide cover for the far left, provide examples from the right you alluded to. There is nothing that will not be touched by the far left bent on recreating a new world order.

Go Blue!
republicans censoring their own political candidates because they dont like their opinions. censoring teachings they dont like. Voting for policies that restrict behavior they dont like. It goes on and on and on every day.
both sides are "woke".
funny how so many people can see what they want to see in others but can't see in themselves.
now im waiting for someone to say "but its different when we do it"
LOL
stop listening to the media that says what you like to hear and start listening to the other side. its the best way to educate yourself and stay balanced.

republicans censoring their own political candidates because they dont like their opinions. censoring teachings they dont like. Voting for policies that restrict behavior they dont like. It goes on and on and on every day.
both sides are "woke".
funny how so many people can see what they want to see in others but can't see in themselves.
LOL
stop listening to the media that says what you like to hear and start listening to the other side. its the best way to educate yourself and stay balanced.
Still waiting for the examples you said you had. Generalizations don't count.

I have a friend who teaches at Kansas State and is on several faculty committees. He is admittedly a conservative Christian, for honesty in reporting here. I can't remember the exact details but the faculty group was headed in a very liberal direction based on what they heard and read. None of them even bothered to find out if was true or not. It was not. They didn't care, it fit their narrative and are amazingly oblivious to the truth when presented to them. It's all about feelings and optics, facts have little place in higher Ed. My friend made the count about how profs with many years of teaching and a PhD requiring research and interpreting data, can disregard facts and truth presented to them on a platter.

Still waiting for the examples you said you had. Generalizations don't count.

I have a friend who teaches at Kansas State and is on several faculty committees. He is admittedly a conservative Christian, for honesty in reporting here. I can't remember the exact details but the faculty group was headed in a very liberal direction based on what they heard and read. None of them even bothered to find out if was true or not. It was not. They didn't care, it fit their narrative and are amazingly oblivious to the truth when presented to them. It's all about feelings and optics, facts have little place in higher Ed. My friend made the count about how profs with many years of teaching and a PhD requiring research and interpreting data, can disregard facts and truth presented to them on a platter.
i told you you would come back with that. they aren't generalizations. you just are not willing to accept facts when they go against your argument. its ok thats the case with most people. its very difficult to convince some people they are hypocritical and can't see things they dont want to see.
your reaction was right in line with that and is why we have so much trouble. most people are so "bought in" to what they want to hear and believe its virtually impossible for anything else to be true. Even when it is.

i told you you would come back with that. they aren't generalizations. you just are not willing to accept facts when they go against your argument. its ok thats the case with most people. its very difficult to convince some people they are hypocritical and can't see things they dont want to see.
your reaction was right in line with that and is why we have so much trouble. most people are so "bought in" to what they want to hear and believe its virtually impossible for anything else to be true. Even when it is.
No, you have consistently done this over and over on here. I ask for data and facts when you present something, but never get them. I ask specific questions and never a reply.

You are like the little kid who tells his parents that "everyone is doing it" so it is OK. So yes, you speak in generalizations - in this case the OP links the woke situation at Penn State and you respond with both sides do it.

both sides are "woke".
LOL

I didn’t realize Facebook and Twitter are ran by Republicans. Good to know. Farmer’s Dog is full of great info.

Meanwhile "sophomore" is an actual, literal insult. For instance, this thread is littered with sophomoric posts. :)

But, frankly, it makes a lot more sense to me to just call it first year, second year... Not all degrees are 4 years and not all 4-year degrees take everyone 4 years.

Last edited:

Go Blue!
Here you go:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

I agree about getting out of your comfort zone with the news you watch and I have issues with both parties. But it is extremely clear cut that only one of them is suddenly offended by all of these terms used for hundreds of years in and therefore constantly trying to upend the English language. It is a major reason why republicans think democrats are completely insane. I know most dems don’t give a rats ass about that stuff but it is ONLY coming out of that camp.

I agree about getting out of your comfort zone with the news you watch and I have issues with both parties. But it is extremely clear cut that only one of them is suddenly offended by all of these terms used for hundreds of years in and therefore constantly trying to upend the English language. It is a major reason why republicans think democrats are completely insane. I know most dems don’t give a rats ass about that stuff but it is ONLY coming out of that camp.
It is an inherent human trait to resist change. We instinctively reject what is foreign to us. But change is a fact of life. The English language has evolved and it will continue to evolve. Short of forcing people to speak a certain way I don't see how you prevent change. Think about it: "colorful" expressions, regional use of language, generational changes, culture shifts and on and on. All of these things influence how we speak. We say things now that people thought crazy and offensive a generation ago. One of the more recent shifts is the use of the singular "they". I personally find it annoying, but a linguist pointed out to me that most of us use the singular form of "they" without realizing it. Bottom line, people can rant all day long, but these shifts are still going to occur.

Separately, this board leans right. I don't doubt that many Republicans think Democrats are insane. I'm pretty sure if this were a different forum you'd be hearing about how Democrats think Republicans are insane. At the end of the day we all use the same language to describe those we disagree with. Republicans insist that Democrats are forcing their views on them and vice versa. From a purely academic perspective I might describe it like this: Rs don't want the views of Ds to force them to change. Ds don't want the views of Rs to restrict them from change. I'm not going to make a value judgement, but from a historical perspective, change is going to happen. It always does.

It is an inherent human trait to resist change. We instinctively reject what is foreign to us. But change is a fact of life. The English language has evolved and it will continue to evolve. Short of forcing people to speak a certain way I don't see how you prevent change. Think about it: "colorful" expressions, regional use of language, generational changes, culture shifts and on and on. All of these things influence how we speak. We say things now that people thought crazy and offensive a generation ago. One of the more recent shifts is the use of the singular "they". I personally find it annoying, but a linguist pointed out to me that most of us use the singular form of "they" without realizing it. Bottom line, people can rant all day long, but these shifts are still going to occur.

Separately, this board leans right. I don't doubt that many Republicans think Democrats are insane. I'm pretty sure if this were a different forum you'd be hearing about how Democrats think Republicans are insane. At the end of the day we all use the same language to describe those we disagree with. Republicans insist that Democrats are forcing their views on them and vice versa. From a purely academic perspective I might describe it like this: Rs don't want the views of Ds to force them to change. Ds don't want the views of Rs to restrict them from change. I'm not going to make a value judgement, but from a historical perspective, change is going to happen. It always does.
The use of "they" is limited to very few situations, mostly predicated on the saying that can denote a number of people in case there are more than 1. Or if the sex of the person is unknown due to lack of information.

"Are they coming", "where are they" are phrases that many use to refer to a group or a single person. It is used so commonly because the understanding by the recipient understands the reasoning. Just like "hey guys" can mean a group of guys or just a group of people, even if there are women present.

"They" can also be used for inanimate objects. "Are those movies good?" "Yeah, they are pretty good."

"They" seems to be used as ambiguous placeholders, not a personal pronoun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT