ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Overtime Launching Hoops League

John_J_Rambo

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 10, 2020
pretty interesting. investors include Carmelo, KD, Victor Oladipo and Baron Davis.

I suspect more and more of the tip top high school recruits will go play in these leagues instead of being a 1-and-done at UK or Duke.

These leagues usually don't last, because there's no audience for minor-league basketball.

College basketball has a baked-in audience because of the connection to the universities, March Madness, and the collegiate experience/student sections. The majority of basketball fans either want to watch the best talent in the world (NBA) or a team they have a connection to (their college/state).

This will further dillute the college game and I question how many eye balls it will attract? I would assume it needs TV money to make it work? Will people really tune in to watch 19 year olds they don't know play in uniforms they don't recognize being coached by people they have no connection to? IDK the answers to those questions but good luck to 'em. That takes major balls....and how is this much different than the G league?

This will further dillute the college game and I question how many eye balls it will attract? I would assume it needs TV money to make it work? Will people really tune in to watch 19 year olds they don't know play in uniforms they don't recognize being coached by people they have no connection to? IDK the answers to those questions but good luck to 'em. That takes major balls....and how is this much different than the G league?
There is too much saturation of sports on TV for this to get any serious TV money.

A better solution would be to just dump the XXX year rules for college sports and have anyone turn pro whenever they want to give it a go.

The colleges provide development in exchange for their play and if a kid doesn't need that, then he should go pro out of high school.

The colleges need to end this silly alliance that they have with the NFL and NBA and let the kids enter the draft whenever they want to and if not drafted, they can come back to college as long as they have not taken money from agents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT