ADVERTISEMENT

OT: oppositional defiance disorder

Curious if anyone has experience with this with a young kid (K-2nd grade).

If so what’s the protocol.
Both of my kids had some (and continue to have) some emotional/regulatory issues. My older son had disruptive behavioral disorder that triggered a constant fight-or-flight response when he was overly stressed. My younger son has ADHD and also suffered a traumatic head injury due to an abusive daycare provider that was convicted (long story and I won't get into here - fortunately he is 99% ok now). What worked isn't just therapy for them but therapy that involves and educates you as parents on how to work with them. Understand the things that cause them to lose control or react negatively to stimuli. Talk to their teachers (I encourage you to ask the school to sit with you and therapists if possible and go over the diagnosis so that your child gets help and not thrown into detention regularly). Teachers and staff at my older son's school weren't as helpful as my younger son's school, but in both cases it was very, very important. My older son really struggled with loud noises and just needed opportunities to take breaks and destress away from the school room. It worked and now as a high schooler he is an A-student. My younger son has gotten both medication and similar interventions put in place that have taken stress off of us as parents and the school staff as well. He is likewise doing very well.
Make sure you never let your kid feel bad about it because they are struggling with a condition that isn't their fault. Just work with them to learn to cope and be successful.

There's some great advice on this thread and of course, the expected idiots who have to interject about something they know nothing about.

As someone who works with special needs kids I would emphasize talking with your kid's pediatrician and school about what strategies, counseling, advice etc is available for your family and your child. Make sure that your child has an IEP or 504 plan in place to help in school. When your child is young you are their advocate to help your child be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT