ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Now my water is off.

And the high pressure sales!!!
nearly impossible in pre-debit card days.
Only sales I got were when I yanked items off the wall, "returned" them and then put the balance on a card to be used as store credit and then purchased vitamins with said card.
I had the most RETURNS in the state that year in only 3 months before heading to college.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnRossEwing
nearly impossible in pre-debit card days.
Only sales I got were when I yanked items off the wall, "returned" them and then put the balance on a card to be used as store credit and then purchased vitamins with said card.

That had to be an easy place to steal from if you worked there, right? Keeping inventory had to be so much of a joke.

That had to be an easy place to steal from if you worked there, right? Keeping inventory had to be so much of a joke.
No cameras in the place. Inventory was shot. I pity the managers that had to handle that mess. They later closed that store. 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewNU
I'm watching Husker basketball while melting snow.
You should have had enough tears from watching that game to flush a toilet with. My kid is in Austin. Still no power OR water. He found a huge generator on Facebook and has it set up on his balcony wired directly in to his apartment's panel. No heat yet though. Sold his little generator for a profit. I told him I would overnight a space heater to run but he had found a heavy cord and a plug online so he could wire up his electric stove for heat. It's good to be an EE who worked for an electrical contractor in college at a time like this.

more middle of the road posts from you.
So let me get this straight. I have to the toe the line of bipartisanship, which you make no attempt to do, but I must? Besides, I do make middle of the road posts all of the time, but it kind of misses the point when posters like you refuse to budge.

Anyway, are you telling me that Cruz doesn't deserve at least a little ribbing?

So let me get this straight. I have to the toe the line of bipartisanship, which you make no attempt to do, but I must? Besides, I do make middle of the road posts all of the time, but it kind of misses the point when posters like you refuse to budge.

Anyway, are you telling me that Cruz doesn't deserve at least a little ribbing?

I missed your post about Biden putting a cap on his day at 9:00 am when there were millions without power in Texas and a bunch of other states resorting to rolling blackouts to keep their power on.

What % of Texans would have gone to Cabo if they were able to get away from this mess?
That's not really the point, is it? He's not an average Texan, he's a senator. Congress isn't in session, and his state is in the midst of a crisis. Surely he could be doing something to help, no? No, he's not going to single handedly get the power up and running. And no, he's not going to fix the water shortage issues, but again, this isn't the point. Take the left/right politics out of the equation. He's an elected official whose job it is to be there during a crisis. This is one of the biggest crises to hit Texas in recent memory.

I missed your post about Biden putting a cap on his day at 9:00 am when there were millions without power in Texas and a bunch of other states resorting to rolling blackouts to keep their power on.
I really don't want to mount a defense of Biden, but seriously, where do you get your information? 9 am? I haven't been paying attention to what Biden. What I can say is that I live in Texas, and one of the senators of my state up and left on vacation in the middle of a crisis. I'm not exactly sure what Biden is doing at this exact moment. If he's doing absolutely nothing, then I would agree that he needs to be pressed to action, but you're clearly making a defense of Cruz by attacking Biden. Why not acknowledge that it was a bad move, and then add that Biden should also be doing more? Instead you make it one of your famous whataboutisms.

northing, really.
its been a part of his identity politics to call out people for similar hypocrisy.
its comeuppance.
he asked for it.
in all honesty, i kinda feel bad for the guy...

Reactions: WHCSC
northing, really.
its been a part of his identity politics to call out people for similar hypocrisy.
its comeuppance.
he asked for it.
in all honesty, i kinda feel bad for the guy...
Why would anyone feel bad for a politician? Anyway, as a senator he could help coordinate federal efforts to bring in much needed supplies, including water, blankets and warm clothes. He could be coordinating with the state's energy grid, helping to secure them anything they may need to get power up and running. Hell, he could even volunteer at a soup kitchen. Suggesting that he can't do anything is ridiculous. I'll at least give him credit for apologizing.

You expect way too much of politicians. They are the definition of selfish.
Politicians will do as little or as much as their constituents compel them to do. I agree with the idea that people can and should do as much as possible to help themselves. But we also have to hold our leaders accountable, especially if we elect them to do a job. Of course, we as citizens don't always see eye to eye on what they should or shouldn't be doing, still, there are some basic things that even our hyper partisan country can agree upon.

Reactions: WHCSC
No cameras in the place. Inventory was shot. I pity the managers that had to handle that mess. They later closed that store. 🤭
I feel like the veil of the supplement industry has slowly been pulled off. People in the know get that 99% of what they sell is bunk and the 1% that does work you can easily get from your diet.

Why would anyone feel bad for a politician? Anyway, as a senator he could help coordinate federal efforts to bring in much needed supplies, including water, blankets and warm clothes. He could be coordinating with the state's energy grid, helping to secure them anything they may need to get power up and running. Hell, he could even volunteer at a soup kitchen. Suggesting that he can't do anything is ridiculous. I'll at least give him credit for apologizing.
i won't argue, it was an ill-advised, selfish move.
but how hell is he going to help coordinate the grid?
that's preposterous.
i guess he could hook up his stationery bicycle to it and work off some pounds for the next beach trip.
helping in a soup kitchen woulda been great example, though.
i'm no big fan of ted's at all, but he says some things i agree with and he bumbles into these gafs sometimes and i feel bad for him.

I really don't want to mount a defense of Biden, but seriously, where do you get your information? 9 am? I haven't been paying attention to what Biden. What I can say is that I live in Texas, and one of the senators of my state up and left on vacation in the middle of a crisis. I'm not exactly sure what Biden is doing at this exact moment. If he's doing absolutely nothing, then I would agree that he needs to be pressed to action, but you're clearly making a defense of Cruz by attacking Biden. Why not acknowledge that it was a bad move, and then add that Biden should also be doing more? Instead you make it one of your famous whataboutisms.

Not at all. I don't think Biden or Cruz could have done anything about the situation in Texas. Cruz represents the state on a federal level. This is a state issue the governor, the state legislature, the power companies and ERCOT needed to be the parties fixing this. Cruz or Biden standing by as some sort of cheerleader or overseer wasn't going to help the situation at all. People are just pissed because they were cold and out of water and feel as though Ted Cruz should have to suffer too.

Now perhaps Biden could use his time to get kids back in school, remember that he was vaccinated for Covid before he entered office. Hell force the democratic controlled house and senate to pass the covid relieve bill he promised. But instead, he would rather open borders and negotiate with a terrorist state in Iran.

i won't argue, it was an ill-advised, selfish move.
but how hell is he going to help coordinate the grid?
that's preposterous.
i guess he could hook up his stationery bicycle to it and work off some pounds for the next beach trip.
helping in a soup kitchen woulda been great example, though.
i'm no big fan of ted's at all, but he says some things i agree with and he bumbles into these gafs sometimes and i feel bad for him.
I don't mean to suggest that Cruz can solve this power issue. But he could help the experts working on the problem to secure everything they need. That's kinda what politicians do. They don't make the vaccine, for example, they get the right people everything they need to get the job done.

I don't mean to suggest that Cruz can solve this power issue. But he could help the experts working on the problem to secure everything they need. That's kinda what politicians do. They don't make the vaccine, for example, they get the right people everything they need to get the job done.

All of which can be done on a telephone from Cancun as easily as it can be done on a telephone from Houston.

Again, people just want Cruz to suffer because they are.

All of which can be done on a telephone from Cancun as easily as it can be done on a telephone from Houston.

Again, people just want Cruz to suffer because they are.
I'm done arguing. This is an easy situation to acknowledge that a politician made an obvious gaffe. Instead you're pivoting to Biden and his policies on immigration and Iran, both perfectly valid conversations, but entirely removed from the discussion of Cruz taking a family vacation in the midst of crisis.

People, store water in your homes. Buy some 5 gallon water containers on Amazon and fill them up. Snow storms, tornadoes, floods, etc can know out the water supply. You need to keep some water in hand.

Shit just happens. Keep water in hand.

Pulled some thoughts out of your post that gel with mine. I agree!

It's pretty easy to keep some drinking water on hand. For instance, I buy a case or two of bottled water and store some of it in the back row of my fridge as I can't reach back there anyway and rarely have a full fridge or freezer. It also means I have less air that I have to cool every time I open the door which saves energy. I do the same thing with my freezer and during the summer when I go fishing or walking, I'll pull one or two out and that gives me ice water for the day. When I'm low, I'll replenish and do it again. So I am satisfying my cheapness and my paranoia at the same time.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I'm done arguing. This is an easy situation to acknowledge that a politician made an obvious gaffe. Instead you're pivoting to Biden and his policies on immigration and Iran, both perfectly valid conversations, but entirely removed from the discussion of Cruz taking a family vacation in the midst of crisis.

You seem to think that him being in Texas was going to somehow reduce the impact of the crisis on others. It won't, he can do whatever he was going to do in Cancun, Washington DC or Houston. I have made that very clear in my posts. This is clearly an optics issue with you and others. Great. Just say it's an optics issue and admit that whatever he could do to ease the pain of those without power and water, he could do from anywhere. Would you have this same issue if he had went hunting out in West Texas? Or does he need to be at his home in Houston?

Reactions: dinglefritz
You seem to think that him being in Texas was going to somehow reduce the impact of the crisis on others. It won't, he can do whatever he was going to do in Cancun, Washington DC or Houston. I have made that very clear in my posts. This is clearly an optics issue with you and others. Great. Just say it's an optics issue and admit that whatever he could do to ease the pain of those without power and water, he could do from anywhere. Would you have this same issue if he had went hunting out in West Texas? Or does he need to be at his home in Houston?
that is a bit of a 'let them eat cake' take...

that is a bit of a 'let them eat cake' take...

perhaps. I just don't think Cruz being in Houston was going to impact this situation at all. It isn't like he went out and told people, you cannot travel because the roads are too snowy, then took off for Cancun.

To large extent you are right, it's about optics, but optics matter in politics, and you know they matter. Bottom line, Cruz could be doing something, even if it were minimal in the grand scheme of things. Suggesting he could do those things from Cancun is just silly, and a desperate attempt to shield him from criticism. That's like saying Biden can govern from Tulum. You know damn well that argument would never fly. It's no different than Gov. Newsome going to French Laundry. He was thoroughly lashed for his political gaffe, as was deserved. Was it as big of an issue as everyone made it out to be? Not really, but to defend him is to miss the damn point, just as you are doing here. Cruz is a high profile guy, he shouldn't take a vacation, in Texas or elsewhere, in the midst of a statewide crisis. He absolutely could be lending his support and considerable influence to get his constituents help. That's it. I'm done.

I think Ted running back to Texas tells you all you need to know. Oops. Perception is reality, and he's being perceived as a hypocritical d-bag right now.

To large extent you are right, it's about optics, but optics matter in politics, and you know they matter. Bottom line, Cruz could be doing something, even if it were minimal in the grand scheme of things. Suggesting he could do those things from Cancun is just silly, and a desperate attempt to shield him from criticism. That's like saying Biden can govern from Tulum. You know damn well that argument would never fly. It's no different than Gov. Newsome going to French Laundry. He was thoroughly lashed for his political gaffe, as was deserved. Was it as big of an issue as everyone made it out to be? Not really, but to defend him is to miss the damn point, just as you are doing here. Cruz is a high profile guy, he shouldn't take a vacation, in Texas or elsewhere, in the midst of a statewide crisis. He absolutely could be lending his support and considerable influence to get his constituents help. That's it. I'm done.

Please if you honestly believe that every single POTUS hasn't governed away from the white house or camp david. It flies all the time. Situations like Newsome is exactly why I wrote, it isn't like Cruz went on TV and said no one can travel then takes off for Cancun. Newsome going to the French Laundry is completely different in that he was on TV telling everyone they cannot do something that he himself was about to do. Part of the reason this is a big deal is because multiple democrat mayors and politicians were seen doing things like Newsome, restricting people from gathering or eating at a restaurant or traveling then turned around and did it themselves. So they were called out, now it has gotten to the point of petty. People are more concerned about telling on someone rather than what is being done. I saw Ted Cruz on an airplane drinking coffee without a mask on......omg get a picture and post it on twitter. That'll be pay back for him calling out Newsome or Steve Adler for telling people to lockdown while they eat with friends or take trips to of all places Mexico.

Please if you honestly believe that every single POTUS hasn't governed away from the white house or camp david. It flies all the time. Situations like Newsome is exactly why I wrote, it isn't like Cruz went on TV and said no one can travel then takes off for Cancun. Newsome going to the French Laundry is completely different in that he was on TV telling everyone they cannot do something that he himself was about to do. Part of the reason this is a big deal is because multiple democrat mayors and politicians were seen doing things like Newsome, restricting people from gathering or eating at a restaurant or traveling then turned around and did it themselves. So they were called out, now it has gotten to the point of petty. People are more concerned about telling on someone rather than what is being done. I saw Ted Cruz on an airplane drinking coffee without a mask on......omg get a picture and post it on twitter. That'll be pay back for him calling out Newsome or Steve Adler for telling people to lockdown while they eat with friends or take trips to of all places Mexico.
You're hopelessly partisan. You pivot and contort every single argument to fit a extreme conservative narrative. I mention Newsom, and rather than see the point that optics do matter, which by the way was me agreeing with your post, you instead seize the moment to rant about how criticism in that instance was justified. If that hadn't been your argument, then you'd probably have offered up a juicy whataboutism. You mocked me for suggesting that my politics are in the middle. They are, but you are so far to the political extreme that you can't even see the middle anymore.

You're hopelessly partisan. You pivot and contort every single argument to fit a extreme conservative narrative. I mention Newsom, and rather than see the point that optics do matter, which by the way was me agreeing with your post, you instead seize the moment to rant about how criticism in that instance was justified. If that hadn't been your argument, then you'd probably have offered up a juicy whataboutism. You mocked me for suggesting that my politics are in the middle. They are, but you are so far to the political extreme that you can't even see the middle anymore.

I never said I was in the middle. I definitely lean right, no doubt about it.

I mocked you about saying you are in the middle because every time I see you post you are defending the left or posting some left leaning talking point. It is fine to be what you are, just don't try and convince me that you are in the middle when you aren't.

Also, this is like the third post you wrote in response to me after saying you weren't arguing with me anymore, like the second after you emphatically stated you were done. So I guess you're done when I say you're done. ha ha ha ha ha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT