ADVERTISEMENT

OT - New Truck

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Time to upgrade the old Pickup Truck. Looking at the Chevy Silverado Trail Boss or the Ram 1500 Rebel. Not a big Ford fan. Anyone have one of the new Chevy's or Dodge? Currently have a Tundra, but the new body style just doesn't excite me.

The Rams seem to be a little more reasonably priced, but they want a mint and a kidney for the Silverado's.

Its all personal choice. I would not drive a chevy if it was half price. Same goes for GMC. Ram is better but I still dont like them. Screw Toyota. Nissans are junk.

Cheaper to buy new right now than used. The used car market right now is an absolute mess. I work on them but we have 15 silverados on the lot or either on their way with 2-8k in rebates off MSRP in SE SD.

I have always been a GM person. Hated Fords but some friends have them and they are OK. Never a Ram person based on my old days of working on the old Dodge PU's. I drove an old 1990 Chevy until there wasn't much of it left. Last Fall I bought a 18 Ram and I can't tell you how much I love this thing. If I could buy anything and money was no object, it would be a new GMC but man, as said above, they are out of this world expensive. I found I got a lot more bang for my buck with the Ram. The Ram beats the GM and Ford in ride with the coil suspension. If you are pulling, that makes a difference.

Edit: I looked for several months and I was able to get into a Ram for several thousand less than a comparable Ford or GM and I like it very much. We love to take trips in it, drives very nice, lots of extra features and I don't have the luxury model, lots of storage space.

Time to upgrade the old Pickup Truck. Looking at the Chevy Silverado Trail Boss or the Ram 1500 Rebel. Not a big Ford fan. Anyone have one of the new Chevy's or Dodge? Currently have a Tundra, but the new body style just doesn't excite me.
I think Ram has the best interior out of all pickups. Everything else is pretty much on par.

Rebel-12-Blog-Image-3.jpg

I absolutely love my 2020 GMC Sierra 4x4. Its a sweet truck. I didn't think I would need a 4x4 in Texas but after the ice storm in February, it plowed through it like no one's business. It hauls a medium sized travel trailer and comes with a braking system. I like the crew cab in which my labs can jump in easily.
I never liked Dodge products. When I was a kid and when I noticed a broken down vehicle along the road, most often it was a Dodge. Don't like their looks either.

Reactions: ADV1
Dodge doesn't make the Ram.

Do a quick search on truck dependability for 2020 trucks.

I just traded my 2011 Silverado LTZ with a 5.3 V8 for a new GMC Sierra AT4 with a 6.2. I absolutely love this truck. I just took it to Columbia for the weekend and it gets better gas mileage than my old 5.3 did, and the 6.2 is an absolute rocket ship when passing vehicles on the highway. I got 20 mpg coming back with a little interstate and a lot of highway. Later this week, I will be on my real roadtrip and will be driving it offroad through Chadron State Park before parking in Toadstool for the night. It will be put through its paces in Moab a few days later. It will then see a bunch of highway driving on the PCH and then down into Arizona. I will devise a route as a roll from that point. My trucks are modern day covered wagons.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I love my Tundra. I originally wanted a Tacoma but I couldn’t fit in it comfortably (6’3” with a long torso).Toyota reliability can’t be beat. I was disappointed in the redesign for 2022 Tundras. Thought they tried To be too much like the Fords. Scotty Kilmer is who I go to for advice on cars and he raves about the F150s and the Tundras and Tacomas. I know he hates the Rams and the Silverados. If you haven’t watched his YouTube you’ll get a kick out of him. He’s entertaining as hell and knows his stuff.

Have a high country and owned a f150 prior. Love my high country. Never felt like the rams were as comfortable or handled as well on the road. The high country is just about as smooth as they come

Reactions: leodisflowers
I love my Tundra. I originally wanted a Tacoma but I couldn’t fit in it comfortably (6’3” with a long torso).Toyota reliability can’t be beat. I was disappointed in the redesign for 2022 Tundras. Thought they tried To be too much like the Fords. Scotty Kilmer is who I go to for advice on cars and he raves about the F150s and the Tundras and Tacomas. I know he hates the Rams and the Silverados. If you haven’t watched his YouTube you’ll get a kick out of him. He’s entertaining as hell and knows his stuff.
Scotty Kilmer is the clickbait king. He can be entertaining, but I suggest using caution if you want to rely on him for knowledge of current vehicles.

Reactions: WHCSC
If at all possible, find the three (Ram, Ford, Chevy) dealers in your area that having something in stock you would buy (or could order) similarly equipped. Test drive them all (like you stole it for 20 minutes) on the same day and compare them apples to apples or best you can. Sleep on it a bit and see which one you want the most and buy on a different day after you've thought about it.

This is what I do, I just try to keep my emotions out of it till I find what I want. So I can make a more rational decision, given I'm gonna pay on something for 6 years.

Reactions: drubendall
Not a good time to be buying a vehicle right now. Maybe just keep the "old" pickup you've got?

Reactions: TheNewNU
I sold a '13 RX F-Sport 2 months ago...the guy was so desperate to find something he let me keep it for a month and take it to Moab so my son and I could do a mountain bike trip and in doing so...added another 2,500 miles to it and he gave me my full asking price minus $250

That is how depeleted inventory is right now.

In turn, I found what I wanted in Denver and bought it sight unseen, transferred a lot of money in the process, then flew one way to pick it up. People I bought it from said they had 9 other buyers willing to do the same if I flaked out.

I have never seen the car market this crazy and i've been buying and selling them since before I had a drivers license....and i'm 53 and a half now :)

Reactions: WHCSC
I sold a '13 RX F-Sport 2 months ago...the guy was so desperate to find something he let me keep it for a month and take it to Moab so my son and I could do a mountain bike trip and in doing so...added another 2,500 miles to it and he gave me my full asking price minus $250

That is how depeleted inventory is right now.

In turn, I found what I wanted in Denver and bought it sight unseen, transferred a lot of money in the process, then flew one way to pick it up. People I bought it from said they had 9 other buyers willing to do the same if I flaked out.

I have never seen the car market this crazy and i've been buying and selling them since before I had a drivers license....and i'm 53 and a half now :)
Funny - a guy I know just flew to Omaha from Colorado to pick up an SUV because the market there is so bad

I just bought a 2020 Silverado 1/2 ton with the 3.0L Diesel engine (RST/Z71 PKG)... I debated hard on this being that it was a new combo but it's been great! I get 30+mpg on the hwy and combined I'm averaging around 25mpg... That held true on our vacation to Yellowstone and back with lots of mountain driving.

I also made two recent trips with it to Nebraska and back to Texas while hauling my 24' enclosed trailer with a couple of heavy loads and it didn't even act like I was pulling anything!

I absolutely Love the truck... I hate how it looks at the moment... My daughter decided it would be a good idea to back her truck (my old GMC) into the side of it on Saturday and I haven't even owned it 4 months! Grrrr!

I just bought a 2020 Silverado 1/2 ton with the 3.0L Diesel engine (RST/Z71 PKG)... I debated hard on this being that it was a new combo but it's been great! I get 30+mpg on the hwy and combined I'm averaging around 25mpg... That held true on our vacation to Yellowstone and back with lots of mountain driving.

I also made two recent trips with it to Nebraska and back to Texas while hauling my 24' enclosed trailer with a couple of heavy loads and it didn't even act like I was pulling anything!

I absolutely Love the truck... I hate how it looks at the moment... My daughter decided it would be a good idea to back her truck (my old GMC) into the side of it on Saturday and I haven't even owned it 4 months! Grrrr!

That's rough. Ouch.

I once handled a claim for a guy who drove his new Harley out of Frontier in Lincoln and laid it over at the first stop light.

We have several guys at work that have bought new trucks in the last six months. Ford, Rams, and Chevy. The best inside is the Limited Ram. The best ride is the Chevy trail boss in my opinion.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
ADVERTISEMENT