ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New kitchen knives

Bought 3 knives that are really nice, for cutting meat, dicing veggies, usual kitchen stuff. For those of you who value a good kitchen blade, what do you use to keep them sharp?

Buy knives of good quality and use a honing rod to keep the blade honed and they will not need sharpened that often. Some depends on what knives you bought.

Reactions: bigboxes
I use a ceramic honing rod as needed and sharpen them maybe once a year. I use a Work Sharp belt type sharpener.

Reactions: jmliehr
There are some good videos on YouTube about sharpening knives. I like Burrfection channel.

Was gifted a Cutco santoku for Christmas. Like it a lot so far.

A little secret on Cutco. Buy in any condition any cutco knife off ebay, etc., and Cutco sharpens them all for the price of shipping for life. If knife is not so good, they replace for free.

A little secret on Cutco. Buy in any condition any cutco knife off ebay, etc., and Cutco sharpens them all for the price of shipping for life. If knife is not so good, they replace for free.
Right, but they send some poor kid to your home and make them give you the hard sell the whole time they're sharpening your knives. If you decline to buy more knives, they push for names of friends and family. I just tell them I got neither.

Right, but they send some poor kid to your home and make them give you the hard sell the whole time they're sharpening your knives. If you decline to buy more knives, they push for names of friends and family. I just tell them I got neither.
I'm having none of that. But would be open to a 4-Hour timeshare meeting at a motel 6 in exchange for some steak knives

Reactions: 1ManBearPig
Have nice Wusthoff. Wish I would have gotten Shun. Angle on Japanese knives is more acute and with modern steels it holds it's edge well.
Would look at a two sided king whetstone for occasional sharpening.

Never had that happen. Just sent her nose in and they sent them back sharp as can be

Simplest is probably this:

Last edited:
I've become a bit of a knife snob. I have one set of knives for my wife. These are good knives but are ones I don't think she can hurt and if she does I'm not to worried about them.

I also have a set of good Japanese knives that I use. These knives hold a razor edge for up to a few years if you use them properly.

One of the things you do is cut on a good quality wooden cutting board. For this I purchased a Teak end grain cutting board. (Shown here under one of my good Japanese knives)

I had some cheap 2 sided stones. Due to the upgrade to the good Japanese knives, I recently replaced them with some good Japanese Whetstones.

Once you learn how to sharpen on a whetstone, you can resharpen any knife in a few minutes. As someone mentioned above, the Burrfection channel on Youtube is very informative for this.

FWIW: The Worksharp sharpener is OK for inexpensive knives you don't care about but I wouldn't dream of using one on these Japanese knives.

Have nice Wusthoff. Wish I would have gotten Shun. Angle on Japanese knives is more acute and with modern steels it holds it's edge well.
Would look at a two sided king whetstone for occasional sharpening.

Personally, I would take the Wusthoffs any day over Shun. Shun uses a much more brittle steel. It does hold an edge, but is way to easy to chip.

Bought 3 knives that are really nice, for cutting meat, dicing veggies, usual kitchen stuff. For those of you who value a good kitchen blade, what do you use to keep them sharp?
Shun classic. Love the feel in your hand and razor sharp Japanese steel.

Personally, I would take the Wusthoffs any day over Shun. Shun uses a much more brittle steel. It does hold an edge, but is way to easy to chip.
I have both and you aren't wrong. But the wustoff does not come close to the shun in precision and holding edge. Both good knives. Wustoff also brands cheaper knives sold at box stores so they have become a lot lower quality if your not buying the right version of their bramd.

Reactions: DerHusker
We have a nice set of knives and I swear to God my wife makes it her purpose in life to destroy them when I'm not around.

I have worked in prep kitchens with some of the GD dumbest people you ever wanna meet in your life and they didn't ruin knives like she can, and the woman has a Masters degree. It defies logic and I have given up on trying to keep them nice.

So if you have such a person in your life, ask yourself if you want a set of kitchen knives to become a source of conflict in your marriage, or if you're happier loving your wife and being underwhelmed with your knives.

DO invest in a cutting glove. I got my carving knife nice and sharp this summer and promptly carved the back of my index finger. Luckily I hit the nail before it could go any deeper and require stitches but it still bled pretty good. It's not the 495 times you don't hit your hand, it's the one you do. $20 glove vs. a few grand at the ER, you do the math.

DON'T put them in the dishwasher. Hand wash them and dry them immediately.

DO rinse them off after sharpening so you don't have any small metal bits hiding that want to get into your food.

DON'T cut dumb shit. The knife should be for food only. You start playing "will it slice" and that's how you take chunks out of your blade, dull it, get crap stuck to it, or injure yourself.

All the kitchens I worked in had these to keep the knives sharp. Hit it 10-15 times on each side if it seems to be getting dull, you're back in business:

I have both and you aren't wrong. But the wustoff does not come close to the shun in precision and holding edge. Both good knives. Wustoff also brands cheaper knives sold at box stores so they have become a lot lower quality if your not buying the right version of their bramd.
This is correct to a point. First off it depends on which Shun knives your talking about. The Classic and even the Premier or Duel Core knives are prone to chipping if they are not used correctly. The Blue, Kaji, Fuji and the Hikari lines not so much as they are made with better steel. Again if they are used correctly, they all can perform well.

As far as the Wusthoff's and other German knifes being stronger, this is somewhat true. The Germans want a more "do it all" style of knife where one knife can perform many tasks. They will tend to have thicker blades made with softer steel and shallower edge angles of 22 degrees so as not to chip. The Japanese take a different approach to knives. They want a knife made for the specific propose they are trying to perform. They originally had many more styles and shapes of knives than their German counterparts. They will tend to have thinner blades of harder steel and sharper edge angles of 10. 12 or 15 degrees so are more prone to chipping.

A little of this comes down to cultural and dietary differences. German and European countries tend to eat more root vegetables that require a good strong knife to cut though. The Japanese tend to eat softer vegetables and more proteins.

This has changed over time as the Germans have started copying the Japanese. (This may be just to sell more knives) Also, one of the German manufacturers, Zwilling - JA Henckels now owns a Japanese Knife manufacturer, Miyabi, and makes Japanese knives using German technology.

Which knives are better? Well it all depends on how you use them and your cutting style. If you like to rock your knife while cutting, then the German knives perform better for this style of cutting. If you use a push / pull style of cutting this is where the Japanese style knife perform better. I have both some Germans knives (Zwilling's) and some Japanese knives. (Miyabi's)

I reach for the Zwillings when I'm in a hurry and don't want to bring out the wooden cutting board. Also if it's for a large squash or watermelon or something with bones in it.

I reach for the Miyabi's for slicing proteins, slicing and dicing veggies or anything where more precise and precision cutting is desirable.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
We have a nice set of knives and I swear to God my wife makes it her purpose in life to destroy them when I'm not around.

I have worked in prep kitchens with some of the GD dumbest people you ever wanna meet in your life and they didn't ruin knives like she can, and the woman has a Masters degree. It defies logic and I have given up on trying to keep them nice.

So if you have such a person in your life, ask yourself if you want a set of kitchen knives to become a source of conflict in your marriage, or if you're happier loving your wife and being underwhelmed with your knives.

DO invest in a cutting glove. I got my carving knife nice and sharp this summer and promptly carved the back of my index finger. Luckily I hit the nail before it could go any deeper and require stitches but it still bled pretty good. It's not the 495 times you don't hit your hand, it's the one you do. $20 glove vs. a few grand at the ER, you do the math.

DO rinse them off after sharpening so you don't have any small metal bits hiding that want to get into your food.

DON'T cut dumb shit. The knife should be for food only. You start playing "will it slice" and that's how you take chunks out of your blade, dull it, get crap stuck to it, or injure yourself.

All the kitchens I worked in had these to keep the knives sharp. Hit it 10-15 times on each side if it seems to be getting dull, you're back in business:

Good advice Beav. My wife must be related to your wife. Laughing

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815

Same here. We spent thousands of dollars on knives and I swear she picks the wrong one to cut whatever she's decided to mangle instead of slice. I'm nearly sure she does it just to piss me off.

Good advice Beav. My wife must be related to your wive. Laughing
same here. I keep finding my knives in the dishwasher. Um, pretty sure we talked about this before honey. Could be the kids though. They ignore me an equal amount. I'm thinking of putting a small gun safe in the pantry to keep them locked away when I go all in on a complete set.

Wrong. You ship to their factory where it is made to be close to new again.

Went to the ER Saturday evening. Picked up some tacos al pastor. I was cutting pineapple to put on my tacos. I was using the serrated bread knife when I cut halfway through the tip of my thumb. Thank God I didn't need stitches. My knives are Henckels Pro S and even the bread knife is razor sharp. I DID eat my tacos before heading to the ER.

Not how it worked for me a couple years ago when I contacted Cutco. Maybe their procedures have changed.
When I read your post I honestly thought you were being facetious. I have never heard of in-home sharpening.

In home sales pitch is their business model though.

When I read your post I honestly thought you were being facetious. I have never heard of in-home sharpening.

In home sales pitch is their business model though.
It's possible that they offered two options...ship to them for sharpening, or have someone come out and do it. I probably didn't want to be knifeless for that long.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
I have Wustoffs... love them. You have to get the old school forged ones rather than pressed/stamped steel. I use Knife Aid it's a mail-in sharpening service.

Last edited:
FWIW: The Worksharp sharpener is OK for inexpensive knives you don't care about but I wouldn't dream of using one on these Japanese knives.
That’s why I included the links to nice whetstones as well. Some people think a $50 set of stamped knives “are really nice”.
I have Henckels 4 star and a Kohetsu HAP40 210mm Gyuto. I use an Atoma plate and Chosera stones.
*BUT* for a person just stepping into the knife world, the work sharp with some Red Label Abrasives belts, would do the job better than any sharpener you’d find at a local brick and mortar.

My wife uses our Wusthof knives to open Amazon boxes. Maybe I should use her jewelry to prop up the short leg of the couch. I'm speechless.

Went to the ER Saturday evening. Picked up some tacos al pastor. I was cutting pineapple to put on my tacos. I was using the serrated bread knife when I cut halfway through the tip of my thumb. Thank God I didn't need stitches. My knives are Henckels Pro S and even the bread knife is razor sharp. I DID eat my tacos before heading to the ER.
You should have used Gorilla glue to close that cut. I hear it works good in many ways, cuts, hair, etc. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT