5. YYZ - Drum solo
6. Red Lenses
7. Tom Sawyer
8. 2112 Overture
9. The Temples Of Syrinx
10. Grand Designs
11. In The Mood
Better Beer....from Territories. Nice!

He was the drum king. Before Peter Criss stepped away from KIss, he won the very first Battle of the Drummer's competition in 79 and from that point on beginning in 1980-1998 Neil was drum king 18 years in a row. I thought it was pretty cool that the final every year came down to Neil and Phil Collins and the rest, Tommy Lee, Lars and and the others weren't even in same galaxy as Neil or Phil.

I was not a Kiss fan until recently but Criss's work on 'Nothing to Lose' and 'Strutter' was rock and roll drumming as it should be. 1974-1975 live are great examples.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
A lot of discussion about great drummers leaves out Jeff Porcaro. Not a lot of flash and he didn't go crazy on the cans, but it is hard to name a top album in the late 70s/80s that he didn't lay down tracks on. The ultimate session drummer.

Bun E. Carlos was also very underrated, His drumming on 'Oh Candy' live was mind blowing.

Reactions: scarletred
I think a tour with the survivors and Portnoy is inevitable. They won't call it Rush, but that doesn't stop them from playing Rush. That will be a must see. I'm guessing R50 at the latest.

UDczY.png

Reactions: Catch50
Next up:

Rush
Great Woods and Summer Skies
June 23, 1997
Great Woods Center Amphitheater
Mansfield, MA
Soundboard

Disc 1:
1. Thus Spake Zarathustra
2. Dreamline
3. Limelight
4. Stick It Out
5. Driven
6. Half The World
7. Red Barchetta
8. Animate
9. Limbo
10. The Trees
11. Virtuality
12. Nobody's Hero
13. Closer To The Heart

Disc 2:
1. 2112
2. Test For Echo
3. Freewill
4. Red Sector A
5. Roll The Bones

Disc 3:
1. Resist
2. Leave That Thing Alone
3. The Rhythm Method
4. Natural Science
5. Force Ten
6. The Spirit Of Radio
7. Tom Sawyer
8. YYZ
9. Cygnus X-1

FYI: This was the only tour to play 2112 in its entirety.

Last edited:
Reactions: otismotis08
As with the Queen dude, more popular in death than life

This is very far off base. He was incredibly highly regarded in life, and all of the memorials are a logical response to the loss of an icon.

There weren't many drummers, if any at all, that were more highly respected throughout his lifetime than Neil Peart. John Bonham is the only other drummer that I can think of that received the level of adulation that Peart did while alive.

Edit - Maybe Keith Moon, who was incidentally a complete hack of a drummer compared to Peart or Bonham. Most good high school drummers could play anything Moon brought to the table. He was high energy, funny, and entertaining, but as far as talent, he wouldn't qualify as a Top 250 drummer in the history of music.

Last edited:
Subdivisions.....my favorite song. Not sure why. Has special meaning to me

This album, Signals, is where I checked out as a fan. For me, this album just didn't have the level of song writing as previous albums. And I think it's where Geddy started adding a lot of keyboards.

Reactions: huskerfan66
This album, Signals, is where I checked out as a fan. For me, this album just didn't have the level of song writing as previous albums. And I think it's where Geddy started adding a lot of keyboards.
Can't disagree with that. This was kind of the jumping off point for me as well now that I think about it. Just still liked that song

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Can't stop watching Rush stuff. I absolutely love these guys. Their depth cannot be put into words. Only Neil could do that.

God bless the Rush family.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
I'm a little late to the game, but RIP Neil.

I was never a big Rush fan (Geddy's voice didn't do it for me), but I have a great deal of respect for what they've accomplished. I love the lyrics for "Limelight", especially this revealing classic line:

Living in a fisheye lens
Caught in the camera eye
I have no heart to lie
I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long awaited friend

I'm a drummer, introvert, and a cyclist so I have been a big fan of Neil's. A few months ago I read his book "The Masked Rider: Cycling in West Africa", where he chronicled his bicycle tour in Cameroon. The book really reveals how intelligent and how much of a deep thinker he was.

ADVERTISEMENT