Love and life are deep
Maybe as his eyes are wide

Exit the warrior
Today's Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the energy you trade
He gets right on to
The friction of the day

I prefer Working Man.. But to each his own...

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
You’re right but also seen him drum too it and Iprefer 2112 too..
I guess I wasn't so much referencing the song as I was honoring Peart as "Tom Sawyer".

In his words:

In the December 1985 Rush Backstage Club newsletter, drummer and lyricist Neil Peart said: "Tom Sawyer was a collaboration between myself and Pye Dubois, an excellent lyricist who wrote the lyrics for Max Webster. His original lyrics were kind of a portrait of a modern day rebel, a free-spirited individualist striding through the world wide-eyed and purposeful. I added the themes of reconciling the boy and man in myself, and the difference between what people are and what others perceive them to be - namely me I guess."

One of the dumber movies that I actually get a chuckle out of is "I Love You Man", partly because of the Rush angle!

Reactions: bigboxes
This news totally ruined my afternoon. The world's greatest drummer for my favorite band. Such sad news. Rest in peace, professor.

A modern-day warrior
Mean, mean stride
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride

Though his mind is not for rent
Don't put him down as arrogant
His reserve a quiet defense
Riding out the day's events
The river

What you say about his company
Is what you say about society
Catch the mist
Catch the myth
Catch the mystery
Catch the drift

The world is, the world is
Love and life are deep
Maybe as his skies are wide
Today's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on you
And the space he invades, he gets by on you

No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is

And what you say about his company
Is what you say about society
Catch the witness
Catch the wit
Catch the spirit
Catch the spit

The world is, the world is
Love and life are deep
Maybe as his eyes are wide

Exit the warrior
Today's Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the energy you trade
He gets right on to
The friction of the day

This has been my ringtone for the last ten years. Neil Peart said that YYZ was a lot tougher to play.

One of the greatest! Drummer for the band Rush for those that don’t know.
Him and John Bonham on a another level. Neal Peart was not the only outstanding Rush drummer though, John Russey was pretty descent too. He also is no longer with us RIP the percussionists in heaven just got another legend.

Him and John Bonham on a another level. Neal Peart was not the only outstanding Rush drummer though, John Russey was pretty descent too. He also is no longer with us RIP the percussionists in heaven just got another legend.
Rutsey was the drummer on the first Rush album.

Heard this earlier. Bummer. He and John Bonham were my childhood inspiration, and taught me to play triplets on the drum kit. He was a great drummer, but there are better in the world.

This news totally ruined my afternoon. The world's greatest drummer for my favorite band. Such sad news. Rest in peace, professor.

This has been my ringtone for the last ten years. Neil Peart said that YYZ was a lot tougher to play.
YYZ is pretty badass, so is this.

Heard this earlier. Bummer. He and John Bonham were my childhood inspiration, and taught me to play triplets on the drum kit. He was a great drummer, but there are better in the world.
Ill defer to your knowledge as I dont play. But are you saying better in terms of technical ability? I can see that.

But to me there are quite a few technical genius' that cant write like others. Always makes me think of Hendrix. Were there and are there better guitarists technically? Hundreds. Could they write shit that is timeless?

That to me is what makes the greats great. They can play but more importantly they can create.

Ill defer to your knowledge as I dont play. But are you saying better in terms of technical ability? I can see that.

But to me there are quite a few technical genius' that cant write like others. Always makes me think of Hendrix. Were there and are there better guitarists technically? Hundreds. Could they write shit that is timeless?

That to me is what makes the greats great. They can play but more importantly they can create.

All three of the guys in Rush are/were great musicians. But it's just like any other instrument. Musicians take what they've learned from the greats...like Peart, Lifeson, and Lee...and further evolve what can be done on the instrument.

Up until 20 to 25 years ago, Neil Peart was the standard, as John Bonham was thet standard before Peart. There have just been drummers that have taken the drum kit to new levels, beyond even what those 2 were doing in their prime. I still love them both though, and I'm not sure if there is an album that I've listened to more than 2112. Maybe Wilco's Summerteeth, or The Jayhawks' Hollywood Town Hall. Or The Godlike Genius of Scott Walker.

If you haven't ever listened to a Rush album, play Moving Pictures from beginning to end. Not one wasted note. I was sad that they didn't play Red Barchetta at R40 in Dallas.

I'll always be a bigger fan of 2112 vs anything they did. Even a great album like Moving Pictures. There's just something about Side 1 of that album. The raw power of it, with the intermittent delicate guitar of Alex L. Prog rock never saw it so good.

If you haven't ever listened to a Rush album, play Moving Pictures from beginning to end. Not one wasted note. I was sad that they didn't play Red Barchetta at R40 in Dallas.

Red Barchetta is a great song and never seems to get the accolades it deserves.

One of the greatest! Drummer for the band Rush for those that don’t know.
He was the drum king. Before Peter Criss stepped away from KIss, he won the very first Battle of the Drummer's competition in 79 and from that point on beginning in 1980-1998 Neil was drum king 18 years in a row. I thought it was pretty cool that the final every year came down to Neil and Phil Collins and the rest, Tommy Lee, Lars and and the others weren't even in same galaxy as Neil or Phil.

He was the drum king. Before Peter Criss stepped away from KIss, he won the very first Battle of the Drummer's competition in 79 and from that point on beginning in 1980-1998 Neil was drum king 18 years in a row. I thought it was pretty cool that the final every year came down to Neil and Phil Collins and the rest, Tommy Lee, Lars and and the others weren't even in same galaxy as Neil or Phil.

I agree but hear me out. I think sometimes certain bands/artists get looked down upon for the wrong reasons.

Like, KISS doesn't get ranked as being great song writers and/or musicians but I think that has more to do with what their band plan was/is...

They didn't want to write and play artsy stuff, they wanted to get fans, lots of them, and their money, lots of it.

Just like people invest their money differently, I think bands look at what plan in different ways.

Tommy Lee was not setting out to the best drummer...he was setting out to be in a loud, fast band that entertained. Kiss set out to get tons of fans and money, Rush set out to do what they did, which was/is amazing.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
You want to see a drummer on a different level than even Neil Peart? Check this out. Fastest drummer I have ever seen. Unreal..

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Listening to this at the moment:

Rush
Better Beer
March 24, 1986
Mecca Arena
Milwaukee, WI

Disc 1:
1. The Spirit Of Radio
2. Limelight
3. The Big Money
4. New World Man
5. Subdivisions
6. Manhattan Project
7. Middletown Dreams
8. Witch Hunt
9. Red Sector A
10. Closer To The Heart
11. Marathon

Disc 2:
1. The Trees
2. Mystic Rhythms
3. Distant Early Warning
4. Territories
5. YYZ - Drum solo
6. Red Lenses
7. Tom Sawyer
8. 2112 Overture
9. The Temples Of Syrinx
10. Grand Designs
11. In The Mood

All three of the guys in Rush are/were great musicians. But it's just like any other instrument. Musicians take what they've learned from the greats...like Peart, Lifeson, and Lee...and further evolve what can be done on the instrument.

Up until 20 to 25 years ago, Neil Peart was the standard, as John Bonham was thet standard before Peart. There have just been drummers that have taken the drum kit to new levels, beyond even what those 2 were doing in their prime. I still love them both though, and I'm not sure if there is an album that I've listened to more than 2112. Maybe Wilco's Summerteeth, or The Jayhawks' Hollywood Town Hall. Or The Godlike Genius of Scott Walker.
A lot of discussion about great drummers leaves out Jeff Porcaro. Not a lot of flash and he didn't go crazy on the cans, but it is hard to name a top album in the late 70s/80s that he didn't lay down tracks on. The ultimate session drummer.

ADVERTISEMENT