ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nebraska and "State" schools.

BetterRed

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2006
Somewhere in the middle of Omaha
This has occasionally crossed my mind, and it usually occurs to me on account of athletics, but can someone smarter than me (and how many can that be, really...
tongue.r191677.gif
) tell me why Nebraska doesn't have a "State" school? Seems most states have one. Texas and Texas State, Kansas and KSU, Colorado and CSU, even the Dakota's have them. In fact, seems most states do. Oddly, Wisconsin is one of the few that doesn't. But why doesn't Nebraska have a Nebraska State? I sometimes wonder how intriguing that would be and what kind of rivals that would make. But what happened to Nebraska with this? Anyone know, exactly? I mean, it can hardly be due to population when both the Dakota's sport them, or even Montana and Idaho.

I don't know the answer, but what you might want to do is investigate how the "State" schools in other areas got their start and then compare those scenarios to Nebraska to look for similarities and differences. From a macro view a university can choose what ever name it wants when it is being formed and I wouldn't see Kearney or Chadron choosing a Nebraska State name. Creighton and UNO have their reasons for where their name originated.

Originally posted by whiplash:
I don't know the answer, but what you might want to do is investigate how the "State" schools in other areas got their start and then compare those scenarios to Nebraska to look for similarities and differences. From a macro view a university can choose what ever name it wants when it is being formed and I wouldn't see Kearney or Chadron choosing a Nebraska State name. Creighton and UNO have their reasons for where their name originated.
Yeah, I know I might get some "do the research yourself" kind of answers. But I was and am wondering if anyone here knows "off-the-bat"? Kearney and UNO and UNL are all affiliated with each other. But I'm just curious why there's no school named Nebraska State as most states have one.

Originally posted by BigRedPimp:
We do, Nebraska State (aka Crayton).
State schools are public universities. Creighton is private. With that being said, the closest things are Chadron St. and Wayne St. The other major areas in the state have universities that are part of the same school system already. UNL, UNO, UNK, UNMC.

I love it because it gives the state a common interest (Huskers) unlike most other places!

I think that, historically, many of the "state" universities were land grant schools which focused on agriculture and engineering. Many originally had names like "___Agricultural and Mechanical University." The non-state university tended to focus more on liberal arts, business and professional schools (other than Vet schools which were at the state university). If all that is accurate, then UNL would probably have been the "state" university if we had two, as it is a land grant school with heavy emphasis on agriculture (although not so much on engineering).

Originally posted by LBremser:
I think that, historically, many of the "state" universities were land grant schools which focused on agriculture and engineering. Many originally had names like "___Agricultural and Mechanical University." The non-state university tended to focus more on liberal arts, business and professional schools (other than Vet schools which were at the state university). If all that is accurate, then UNL would probably have been the "state" university if we had two, as it is a land grant school with heavy emphasis on agriculture (although not so much on engineering).
I was thinking along these lines as well with one school having something to do with being a land grant and ag school while the others weren't. Is that the case with everyone?

this is close to the answer
most "State" schools are land grant colleges, the other Major School in the state is not
NE chose to combine the two so no "state" necessary

? Is Ohio State same a NU, I think so but thy needed "State" because OHIO U existed

Re: Land Grant School

Ok. So the "State" schools are land grant schools with the focus on teaching agriculture and engineering, while the other state schools were established for other purposes. And Nebraska is unique because they decided to combine all areas together? That's what I'm getting?

I was always under the impression it was the "state" schools that were the ag schools. For instance Iowa State, Kansas State and Oklahoma State have colleges of agriculture(OSU's nickname used to be the Aggies). The Universities of Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma do not have colleges of agriculture. New Mexico State and Utah State's teams are the Aggies too.

Just as a sidenote here-but on the TV series "Coach" there is a Nebraska State-shown in the opening credits as a score written on a commemorative football.

This post was edited on 3/15 3:26 PM by Truehuskerfan

Originally posted by Truehuskerfan:
I was always under the impression it was the "state" schools that were the ag schools. For instance Iowa State, Kansas State and Oklahoma State have colleges of agriculture(OSU's nickname used to be the Aggies). The Universities of Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma do not have colleges of agriculture. New Mexico State and Utah State's teams are the Aggies too.

Just as a sidenote here-but on the TV series "Coach" there is a Nebraska State-shown in the opening credits as a score written on a commemorative football.

Interesting take on the "Aggies" nickname. Many State schools, as the ones you pointed out, have been/are called Aggies. That actually explains a few things, too. Gives more explanation that they're agriculture schools.

Originally posted by BetterRed:

Interesting take on the "Aggies" nickname. Many State schools, as the ones you pointed out, have been/are called Aggies. That actually explains a few things, too. Gives more explanation that they're agriculture schools.
I'm sure you knew Oklahoma State Cowboys originally were Oklahoma A&M Aggies.

Originally posted by scarletred:

Originally posted by BetterRed:

I'm sure you knew Oklahoma State Cowboys originally were Oklahoma A&M Aggies.
I did. But it's one of those things you forget about initially. It's the same thing with Colorado State. They used to be Aggies, too. But you forget about that stuff.

Actually Nebraska had four state schools, one each geographically located in each corner of the state. Peru St.(SE), Wayne St. (NE), Chadron St. (NW) and Kearney St. (SW). All four were academically concentrated in the area of Teachers Colleges. The University of Omaha was supported by the city of Omaha. Many of the other colleges within the state were affilliated with various religious groups, Creighton in Omaha (the Roman church), Midland in Fremont-Dana in Blair, Luther College in Wahoo (later became JFK college) (all sponsered by the Lutheran Church), Neb. Wesleyan in Lincoln (Methodist Church), Doane in Crete (Methodist), college in Lincoln (7th day Adventist), Pershing College in Beatrice (Pvt), Hastings College in Hastings, Fairbury had a JC. When the University of Omaha sought state support in the late 60's early 70's a thought was given to the Nebraska State tag but a decision was made to keep it more closely aligned with the University of Nebraska similar to the University of California and UCLA, the University of Nebraska and UNO. Each institution having their own independent athletic programs and their own academic entrance requirements. Initially, a number of academic courses at UNO did not transfer to the University of Nebraska (my wife a University of Nebraska graduate had experience with this in the 70s). Not an answer to your question but perhaps a little history on how we arrived at where we are today.

duplicate post.

This post was edited on 3/15 4:34 PM by ForeverHusker

Originally posted by ForeverHusker:
Actually Nebraska had four state schools, one each geographically located in each corner of the state. Peru St.(SE), Wayne St. (NE), Chadron St. (NW) and Kearney St. (SW). All four were academically concentrated in the area of Teachers Colleges. The University of Omaha was supported by the city of Omaha. Many of the other colleges within the state were affilliated with various religious groups, Creighton in Omaha (the Roman church), Midland in Fremont-Dana in Blair, Luther College in Wahoo (later became JFK college) (all sponsered by the Lutheran Church), Neb. Wesleyan in Lincoln (Methodist Church), Doane in Crete (Methodist), college in Lincoln (7th day Adventist), Pershing College in Beatrice (Pvt), Hastings College in Hastings, Fairbury had a JC. When the University of Omaha sought state support in the late 60's early 70's a thought was given to the Nebraska State tag but a decision was made to keep it more closely aligned with the University of Nebraska similar to the University of California and UCLA, the University of Nebraska and UNO. Each institution having their own independent athletic programs and their own academic entrance requirements. Initially, a number of academic courses at UNO did not transfer to the University of Nebraska (my wife a University of Nebraska graduate had experience with this in the 70s). Not an answer to your question but perhaps a little history on how we arrived at where we are today.
^ This. Looks like "Union" got left off the start of this one: "college in Lincoln (7th day Adventist)"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT