ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Near-Death experiences

Has anyone seen the movie Enter The Void?

Its a wild ride that brings together the concept of death and DMT. Also themes from the Tibetan Book of the Dead. I mention it here because the main character dies but the remaining 2/3 of the movie follows him in the afterlife.

One of the most visually stunning but challenging movies I've seen.

When I was still a young man in the Marines, I was stationed just outside of Seattle and went exploring up an old loggers trail in my 2 wheel drive S-10 pickup. I soon lost traction and nearly slid off the side of a mountain.

I have been a cop for close to 25 years and the two closest times I came to death were both fully loaded semi's nearly running me over. One had no brakes and drove right through the middle of the accident scene I was working. The other was jack-knifed sliding down the highway in a blizzard right at me and about a half dozen other guys. He somehow righted it about ten yards from bulldozing us all. I just remembered another time where a street sweeper had no brakes as I was directing traffic and drove right by me and into the ditch as my back was turned to it. I heard "Look out!" with my back to it and knew I was about to die. It flew by my right shoulder within feet of me just as I glanced to my right.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
February 10, 2014. I was picking up pizza from the other side of town. It was that good.

It was around 8pm. It was dark outside. Chilly.

I was crossing the Fielder Road bridge when I hit black ice that just formed as the temps dipped below freezing. Yup. I was the first one to hit the black ice. Lucky me.

I started to fishtail as I reached the crest. I know not to overreact on the brakes and steering to make it worse. But I ricocheted off the center dividing concrete ridge, sending me down the embankment on the other side. I hit air for a brief moment. I rode it out, coming to a stop when I t-boned the guardrail of the feeder road below.

Air bags deploy. I walk out without a scratch. Then the engine catches fire. I grab my valuables out of the car. The fire goes out fairly quickly.

I spent the next four hours waiting with police and then the wrecker. I could have died. The next vehicle after me (a full sized Suburban) wrecked and was disabled. We share a tow. It made for a long night. The police closed the bridge after that.

b86REG4h.jpg

RDUi1aih.jpg

Reactions: resdog851
I got way to drunk and fell in the harbor trying to pee off the side of my fishing boat. I just remember the sensation of water around me, then woke up in my bunk steaming back town. I was told I was floating a couple feet below the surface and some people noticed and pulled me out by my hair. Surprisingly, I was still alive and hadn’t aspirated. I don’t know how long I was in the water, but luckily not long enough to die. It happens a lot when ppl aren’t around and you find someone the next morning that wasn’t as lucky as me. I quit drinking the next day.

Reactions: LoudHogRider
Over the course of my 45 years on this planet, I've banged a few fatties. I'm not talking "she needs to mix in a salad, once in awhile" but a few that were approaching 2.5-3 bills. So much fail, so much near death. I'll spare the gory details, but most of you guys that only bang 10's and supermodels would understand.

Now excuse me while I go bench 405lbs and crank out a few 4.4 40's before my hot date with Elizabeth Hurley.

When I was still a young man in the Marines, I was stationed just outside of Seattle and went exploring up an old loggers trail in my 2 wheel drive S-10 pickup. I soon lost traction and nearly slid off the side of a mountain.

I have been a cop for close to 25 years and the two closest times I came to death were both fully loaded semi's nearly running me over. One had no brakes and drove right through the middle of the accident scene I was working. The other was jack-knifed sliding down the highway in a blizzard right at me and about a half dozen other guys. He somehow righted it about ten yards from bulldozing us all. I just remembered another time where a street sweeper had no brakes as I was directing traffic and drove right by me and into the ditch as my back was turned to it. I heard "Look out!" with my back to it and knew I was about to die. It flew by my right shoulder within feet of me just as I glanced to my right.
I don't miss driving on the West Coast for that very reason. I took a few curves out near the 52 Area too fast in my old '81 Lincoln Continental that definitely made me rethink my way of driving.

Semper Fi

I don't miss driving on the West Coast for that very reason. I took a few curves out near the 52 Area too fast in my old '81 Lincoln Continental that definitely made me rethink my way of driving.

Semper Fi
Good old Basilone road! As an aside, every other reader on this board should google Manila John Basilone if you want to read what a real hero is.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
I would have lived in College View back then but im sure I read about it in the paper. I drive that intersection almost every day and will be happy when the south bypass opens to get the big rigs off of it.
I was in the far right lane headed north, and as you know the intersection is angled there so I couldn’t see past the van on my left. The light turned green, I proceeded to go, and the next thing I know I was just in an accident. The semi took out the entire front-end of my car (just ahead of my wheel), I spun twice I think, and the back left of my car then hit the light pole. The semi rolled and ended-up on the railroad tracks on the south side of HWY2 - it actually took quite a few years before the grass all grew back where you couldn’t see where he had slid.

When I got into the ambulance the medic asked if I was wearing my seatbelt (which I always did), but told him I didn’t remember taking my seatbelt off before kicking open my passenger door to get out. They cut open my shirt and immediately said ‘yep, you were definitely wearing your seatbelt’. The impact from the back of my car hitting the light pole had broken my seatbelt out of the lock, and I had a dark bruise across my entire chest where the seatbelt was.

Look up Eben Alexander on YouTube. He tells a very compelling story about his near-death experience

I was in the far right lane headed north, and as you know the intersection is angled there so I couldn’t see past the van on my left. The light turned green, I proceeded to go, and the next thing I know I was just in an accident. The semi took out the entire front-end of my car (just ahead of my wheel), I spun twice I think, and the back left of my car then hit the light pole. The semi rolled and ended-up on the railroad tracks on the south side of HWY2 - it actually took quite a few years before the grass all grew back where you couldn’t see where he had slid.

When I got into the ambulance the medic asked if I was wearing my seatbelt (which I always did), but told him I didn’t remember taking my seatbelt off before kicking open my passenger door to get out. They cut open my shirt and immediately said ‘yep, you were definitely wearing your seatbelt’. The impact from the back of my car hitting the light pole had broken my seatbelt out of the lock, and I had a dark bruise across my entire chest where the seatbelt was.

Dang man. Glad you survived. I do kind of remember that and unfortunately you're one of many hit by the big rigs running red lights.

I was 16 standing with my thumb up my ass watching some guy trying to fix a piece of equipment. He was cutting with a torch and the next thing I heard was a big crash behind me and my hat had been blown off my head. Whatever he’d been cutting was holding a 2 ton arm in place and it released at a rate of speed that I never saw it go over my head. It punched a 6 foot hole in the wall behind me. I laughed and the other two guys and the guy doing the cutting were white as sheets. They had no idea how it missed my head.

You just described one of the reasons why there are Safety professionals at work now. Thank God, as its the greatest job I ever had. Glad you made it!

Working in a data center, trying to feed a power cable into a rack through a cutout in the raised floor tile, I was lying directly behind the rack, halfway under the floor with my chest on the edge of the open tile. I tell the guy I need it pushed back just an inch or two to route the cable, he goes back 6, wheels go over the edge and a rack filled with UPS’s (batteries) and a bunch of drives weighing 2k+ pounds is tipping and should rightfully fall and kill me. Somehow it doesn’t actually end up falling and I walk away just fine.

This is an example of what I was half lying in.

Tile-lifter-in-use-raised-floor.jpg

Those are called skids, and I know exactly what you are talking about. I hope to God they did a near miss incident investigation into that. That story should be told to everyone working as an electrician who works to build data centers.

When I was 15 I was almost killed in a farm accident. I ended up losing my dad and my brother in the accident.

We were going to clean out a elevator pit on our farm. It had rained earlier in the week, so the water mixed with the grain and the bottom of the pit and formed carbon dioxide with out us knowing it. My bother and dad made it down to the bottom of the pit and immediately passed out. I started down the ladder to help and passed out from the gas about half way down.

Thankfully when I a passed out I slumped forward so I got hung up on the ladder. If I would have fallen to the bottom of the pit where the gas was more concentrated I would have died for sure.

I had a small niece who was staying with us and she heard me yelling at my dad and brother to ask them what was wrong, and she told my mom we were yelling at each other. At that point my mom come out of the house and found us and called the volunteer rescue squad for help.

Being a small town these dudes weren't true EMTs or anything like that, but they saved my life. My high school football and basketball coach was on the call as it happened during the summer. When they pulled me out of the pit, I wasn't breathing and had no pulse, and my coach said the beat the shit out of me for a long time to get me breathing again. I believe it, when I woke up my chest hurt like hell, they must have done their CPR right because I made it and I didn't have any broken ribs.

I didn't ever really have any type of outer body experience or anything like that. I do however remember regaining consciousness in this small town ER with a doctor and two nurses standing over me working on me. Their voices were very echoy (if that is even a word) and they were outline by the examination light, it was really like a scene out of a movie.

Just a weird surreal feeling.

Man, that sounds awful. I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you made it. On a minor side note you most assuredly have a guardian angel because in order to do CPR right you will 100% of the time break ribs.

Watching “Surviving Death” on Netflix, all about Near Death Experiences. Anyone ever have one?
[/QUOTE
First symptoms at age 26. I was Trach'd at 33 and told I had 2 years to live. Turned 60 this past August.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT