ADVERTISEMENT

OT - More Good Covid-19 Vaccine News (Nov. 23)

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
AstraZeneca is reporting today (Monday) that its vaccine is 90% effective. That makes 3 very promising vaccines (now AstraZeneca along with Moderna and Pfizer). While the AstraZeneca vaccine uses a different technology from the other two and is slightly less effective (90% vs 95%) it has other advantages like being much easier to store/transport and cheaper. The really important thing though is that it adds more capacity to the total that will be available for early vaccination.

The AstraZeneca trial was 70 percent effective overall, with up to 90 percent efficacy in a smaller group that got a lower dosage.
So, guessing this is where the conflicting reports are coming from. Im seeing 90% from a few sources, and 70% from a few others.

These conflicting reports make me believe its not quite ready. If you give MORE of the vaccine, the efficacy goes down?

Maybe too much at one time overwhelms the system into thinking its immune and doesn't have to work to create more antibodies?

Not sure why AZ had to say well, if you take 2 full doses its 70, but then we switched things up a bit and found it to be more effective.

Also wondering if the other 2 have data like this that just isnt being released. They may have found that certain protocols are more effective, and left it at that.

Get these out to the general public asap. All the more reason for the transition team to have full access to what the program is going forward.

So, guessing this is where the conflicting reports are coming from. Im seeing 90% from a few sources, and 70% from a few others.

These conflicting reports make me believe its not quite ready. If you give MORE of the vaccine, the efficacy goes down?

Maybe too much at one time overwhelms the system into thinking its immune and doesn't have to work to create more antibodies?

Not sure why AZ had to say well, if you take 2 full doses its 70, but then we switched things up a bit and found it to be more effective.

Also wondering if the other 2 have data like this that just isnt being released. They may have found that certain protocols are more effective, and left it at that.
More than likely just different reports in time during different phases of the trials. I would think today's press release claiming 90% probably is the latest.

AstraZeneca is reporting today (Monday) that its vaccine is 90% effective. That makes 3 very promising vaccines (now AstraZeneca along with Moderna and Pfizer). While the AstraZeneca vaccine uses a different technology from the other two and is slightly less effective (90% vs 95%) it has other advantages like being much easier to store/transport and cheaper. The really important thing though is that it adds more capacity to the total that will be available for early vaccination.
Question:
Could you safely take the AZ vaccine which uses a different technology than the other two along with one of those two? Would doing so add to the effectiveness of being vaccinated?

the 2 full doses yielded a 62% effective rate
the lesser followed by the full strength dosing yielded a 90% rate

the aggregate of the data came out to 70%

I wonder if any of the vaccines have added adjuvants such as aluminum hydroxide

Question:
Could you safely take the AZ vaccine which uses a different technology than the other two along with one of those two? Would doing so add to the effectiveness of being vaccinated?
I don't know, not a medical professional, but I would think if you already had immunity from one vaccine it would likely render the second vaccine ineffective.

I don't know, not a medical professional, but I would think if you already had immunity from one vaccine it would likely render the second vaccine ineffective.
I think the underlying question here is with the 5-10% ineffectivity rate right? So, you'd have to determine that you were part of the 5-10% first.

Or could there be a study with one does of the Pfizer/Moderna variety, and 1 does of AZ. does that do anything?

ADVERTISEMENT