ADVERTISEMENT

OT - More Covid Vaccine News

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
FWIW, today J&J released information on its upcoming single dose Covid vaccine saying the vaccine was 66% effective (comparable to the 94 or 95% effectiveness of Pfizer/Moderna vaccines). Somewhat less effective for the South Africa virus varient. Effectiveness of up to 85% against the most serious Covid cases. Dr. Fauci (whether you hate him or adore him - separate subject) said a few days ago that he expected J&J vaccine will be approved in about a couple of weeks. J&J said earlier it will be able to produce around 1 Billion doses in 2021 once approved.

J&J Article from USA Today

P.S. Also Noravax says trials in the UK indicate its vaccine will be roughly 90% effective though a much smaller trial in South Africa indicated far less effectiveness than in the UK. It's not approved yet (no timing given for when it will be seeking approval - probably several months away for US approval).

FWIW, today J&J released information on its upcoming single dose Covid vaccine saying the vaccine was 66% effective (comparable to the 94 or 95% effectiveness of Pfizer/Moderna vaccines). Somewhat less effective for the South Africa virus varient. Effectiveness of up to 85% against the most serious Covid cases. Dr. Fauci (whether you hate him or adore him - separate subject) said a few days ago that he expected J&J vaccine will be approved in about a couple of weeks. J&J said earlier it will be able to produce around 1 Billion doses in 2021 once approved.

J&J Article from USA Today

P.S. Also Noravax says trials in the UK indicate its vaccine will be roughly 90% effective though a much smaller trial in South Africa indicated far less effectiveness than in the UK. It's not approved yet (no timing given for when it will be seeking approval - probably several months away for US approval).
Why would anyone want a 66% drug if 94-95% are available?

It was 100% effective in preventing hospitalizations and death, which is not a bad thing. They say 100 million doses by April, single dose, 'normal' refrigeration requirements, so logistically much easier to get a lot of people vaccinated quickly. The only vaccine that a typical doctors office could keep in stock. As a added benefit, you still have a decent chance of getting it with few or no symptoms and passing it on to the antivaxxers to deal with.

Well I wouldn't but it has the benefit of only requiring one shot and has no special storage requirements. Better than nothing if for some reason you cant get the other vaccines.

IDK about you, but if I knew a plane had a 1% chance of crashing, I would avoid taking the risk.

What plane crash risk are you ok with?

It's amazing how you can write 99%+ and people just assume it's 99%.

From an epidemiological perspective, this vaccine is important especially for third world populations. Supposedly COVID is really clobbering native peoples in remote settings. This vaccine would be much easier to get to remote villages and impoverished areas in order to provide SOME population immunity and maybe prevent large numbers of deaths.

It also was approved as a ONE dose regimen. You could drop teams in to remote areas and do vaccination clinics and leave. I suspect IF you gave a second dose of the vaccine, it would be much more effective. Mind you these are areas where even rudimentary medical care is not readily available so anything they could do to keep illnesses at a milder level would be extremely helpful. I suspect that was the over riding goal in the way this vaccine was developed.

Those 94-95% ones are mRNA based vaccines.. some say they shouldn't be even called a vaccine by the technical terms. They have a high degree of causing allergic reactions in people as well.

Remdesivir and Ivermecten show a better outcome from what I can tell, and I don't think anyone has died from those, while >150 people have already died after administration of the mRNA based "vaccines".

From an epidemiological perspective, this vaccine is important especially for third world populations. Supposedly COVID is really clobbering native peoples in remote settings. This vaccine would be much easier to get to remote villages and impoverished areas in order to provide SOME population immunity and maybe prevent large numbers of deaths.

It also was approved as a ONE dose regimen. You could drop teams in to remote areas and do vaccination clinics and leave. I suspect IF you gave a second dose of the vaccine, it would be much more effective. Mind you these are areas where even rudimentary medical care is not readily available so anything they could do to keep illnesses at a milder level would be extremely helpful. I suspect that was the over riding goal in the way this vaccine was developed.
So why would the US be worried about approving it?

It's on its way out. Local politicians are having a hard time propping up their lies any longer. OK fine, get on with your lives. Everyone still wear 4 masks though, JIC.
Well, the numbers are decreasing as the number of susceptible risk takers declines. That said, for people like me who have been very careful, we're still at risk. I'll likely not survive COVID if I get it. You will note that I've been a "keep things open" voluntary mask guy throughout this deal.

COVID is NOT going to completely disappear even though it may drop below pandemic levels at some point this summer. We STILL NEED susceptible people like myself to get vaccinated. We NEED productive people to stay productive whether that's through work or by stimulating the economy with their consumption (literally). COVID will likely become an endemic disease by this next fall where we have sporadic pockets of outbreaks in susceptible people.

What IS concerning to me is that now the media is IMO fear mongering mutations in the COVID virus which is extremely irresponsible. They've not really been near the problem reported and I don't think they will be going forward as long as we vaccinate susceptible people. Reducing confidence in the current vaccines is foolish IMO and bad for the country.

Well, the best actual data that we have (positive tests vs. deaths) show a fatality rate of 1.7%. If we start losing 400k people/yr. due to plane crashes, I will discontinue flying.
Well we won't be losing 400K people a year from COVID this year and numbers will decline as we reach population immunity levels that slow spread. That said, this thing isn't going away completely and susceptible people need to get vaccinated.

Those 94-95% ones are mRNA based vaccines.. some say they shouldn't be even called a vaccine by the technical terms. They have a high degree of causing allergic reactions in people as well.

Remdesivir and Ivermecten show a better outcome from what I can tell, and I don't think anyone has died from those, while >150 people have already died after administration of the mRNA based "vaccines".
The vaccines do NOT have a high degree of causing "allergic reactions" in people. The number of reactions to COVID vaccines is no higher than any other vaccine. It may actually turn out to be much lower when it's all said and done. We've administered over 30,000 doses of the vaccine in our area and my spouse says they've had no reported severe reactions to vaccination. Reactions have been at most similar to influenza vaccine.

I know of several people who have received the mRNA based vaccines (including myself) and NOT one of them has developed an allergic reaction. All the people I know personally that got the vaccine have had very little reaction to it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well, the best actual data that we have (positive tests vs. deaths) show a fatality rate of 1.7%. If we start losing 400k people/yr. due to plane crashes, I will discontinue flying.

Omg the innumeracy is amazing.

They should teach math half the day in schools. For 12 years straight. And PE for a quarter of it. Any other use of our tax dollars is criminal.

Imagine claiming the best data we have is supported by a fraudulent test with as much as 95% false positives.

Reactions: bshirt73
I know of several people who have received the mRNA based vaccines (including myself) and NOT one of them has developed an allergic reaction. All the people I know personally that got the vaccine have had very little reaction to it.
What are anecdotes and how do they work?

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
Well, the numbers are decreasing as the number of susceptible risk takers declines. That said, for people like me who have been very careful, we're still at risk. I'll likely not survive COVID if I get it. You will note that I've been a "keep things open" voluntary mask guy throughout this deal.

COVID is NOT going to completely disappear even though it may drop below pandemic levels at some point this summer. We STILL NEED susceptible people like myself to get vaccinated. We NEED productive people to stay productive whether that's through work or by stimulating the economy with their consumption (literally). COVID will likely become an endemic disease by this next fall where we have sporadic pockets of outbreaks in susceptible people.

What IS concerning to me is that now the media is IMO fear mongering mutations in the COVID virus which is extremely irresponsible. They've not really been near the problem reported and I don't think they will be going forward as long as we vaccinate susceptible people. Reducing confidence in the current vaccines is foolish IMO and bad for the country.

Dingle, I say this with all the love in the world. You're an idiot. There are sick people in their 90s surviving covid. Outright saying you won't survive, even with your asthma, is beyond moronic. Unless you're just ready to die... There a lot of people who just give up on life.

They should teach math half the day in schools. For 12 years straight. And PE for a quarter of it. Any other use of our tax dollars is criminal.

Imagine claiming the best data we have is supported by a fraudulent test with as much as 95% false positives.
there were some problems with false positives early on. Not so much I don't believe after early summer. The testing according to my spouse got much more accurate this past summer. I would want to see your source for that if you could post it. It got to the point in our area where one family member who have the typical symptoms and test positive so they wouldn't even test the rest of the family even though they had the loss of smell etc. A LOT more people have had this thing than have tested positive. THAT is a very GOOD thing now. We're rapidly approaching a nice level of population immunity.

Have no idea what you mean. There are no stories to tell. Nothing whatsoever happened to any of the people I know who got the vaccine including myself. Of course it's purely anecdotal commentary if that's what you're getting at. Just relating personal experience which I clearly stated it was.

But statistics substantiate that it is extremely low probability for people to suffer allergic reactions to the vaccine. Not zero but EXTREMELY low probability. I think you probably have a higher probability of suffering an allergic reaction from a bee sting. And yes, that comment about the bees is an OPINION. Winking

Last edited:
Received my second Moderna shot Tuesday and felt a bit punky in the evening. Arm around injection site felt bruised for a couple of days. A little stuffiness and a sore throat, but that could be a sinus issue. A friend's symptoms were a step up from that, but managed with tylenol.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
there were some problems with false positives early on. Not so much I don't believe after early summer. The testing according to my spouse got much more accurate this past summer. I would want to see your source for that if you could post it. It got to the point in our area where one family member who have the typical symptoms and test positive so they wouldn't even test the rest of the family even though they had the loss of smell etc. A LOT more people have had this thing than have tested positive. THAT is a very GOOD thing now. We're rapidly approaching a nice level of population immunity.
False positive news stories.

Reactions: bshirt73
Received my second Moderna shot Tuesday and felt a bit punky in the evening. Arm around injection site felt bruised for a couple of days. A little stuffiness and a sore throat, but that could be a sinus issue. A friend's symptoms were a step up from that, but managed with tylenol.
Glad you're ok.

LOL

Dingle, I say this with all the love in the world. You're an idiot. There are sick people in their 90s surviving covid. Outright saying you won't survive, even with your asthma, is beyond moronic. Unless you're just ready to die... There a lot of people who just give up on life.
It isn't just asthma. I've had 2 bouts of severe pneumonia in the past couple of years. Twenty years ago I had a really bad pneumonia as well. Your lungs can only recover from pneumonia so many times. In addition, I'm on a T-cell suppressing immunodulating drug for an autoimmune disease. My odds of dying from COVID are probably closer to 50/50 than anything. Yes, I know LOTS of elderly and people with system diseases who have survived. I also have one friend who was healthy and my age who died. I have another friend who is sitting in his recliner with an oxygen tank a month after having COVID.

here's a dirty little secret or reality

history of medical compliance or noncompliance (including vaccination) is a big factor when determining eligibility for many advanced medical therapies or interventions

if one has refused best medical care/advice in favor of herbs/vitamins or other alternative therapies they may not be eligible for interventions that require following medical advice to the T in order to be successful

hospitals/physicians are not going to offer therapies that require a tremendous amount of resources, follow-up and regulatory oversight if your decision in the past has been to consistently opt out of flu vaccination or potentially COVID vaccination - or decide, despite the proper education and support, not to take recommended medicines

Last edited:
The vaccines do NOT have a high degree of causing "allergic reactions" in people. The number of reactions to COVID vaccines is no higher than any other vaccine. It may actually turn out to be much lower when it's all said and done. We've administered over 30,000 doses of the vaccine in our area and my spouse says they've had no reported severe reactions to vaccination. Reactions have been at most similar to influenza vaccine.
Wrong.

Go here, agree to the terms, select Covid vaccines only, and then go through the data yourself. It's a massive list with all Moderna & Pfizer listings.. I think I saw 2 unknowns.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

The biggest issue is that you don't ruin your society, pile on MASSIVE, unsustainable debt and wreck the lives of younger people over something that the vast majority of people can recover from with relative ease.

The truth is, Americans as a whole are in poor shape physically and they can blame themselves for that (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure). Modern medicine can extend lifespans, but for many, the quality of such a life is garbage, and that is sad.

This virus should have been managed to protect the most vulnerable. That's who you quarantine. Instead, it's become political football and it has reshaped society in some very horrible, totalitarian, anti-freedom ways. We all lose. Fast forward one year. If you think we're going back to the way things were, you are naive. We are not a very resilient people. We've faced much harder times.

It isn't just asthma. I've had 2 bouts of severe pneumonia in the past couple of years. Twenty years ago I had a really bad pneumonia as well. Your lungs can only recover from pneumonia so many times. In addition, I'm on a T-cell suppressing immunodulating drug for an autoimmune disease. My odds of dying from COVID are probably closer to 50/50 than anything. Yes, I know LOTS of elderly and people with system diseases who have survived. I also have one friend who was healthy and my age who died. I have another friend who is sitting in his recliner with an oxygen tank a month after having COVID.
My wife got covid in late September and only recently quit doing nebulizer treatments to aid in clearing the gunk out of her lungs.

The biggest issue is that you don't ruin your society, pile on MASSIVE, unsustainable debt and wreck the lives of younger people over something that the vast majority of people can recover from with relative ease.

The truth is, Americans as a whole are in poor shape physically and they can blame themselves for that (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure). Modern medicine can extend lifespans, but for many, the quality of such a life is garbage, and that is sad.

This virus should have been managed to protect the most vulnerable. That's who you quarantine. Instead, it's become political football and it has reshaped society in some very horrible, totalitarian, anti-freedom ways. We all lose. Fast forward one year. If you think we're going back to the way things were, you are naive. We are not a very resilient people. We've faced much harder times.
Speaking of political football

This screen shot was just taken. Adverse reactions by manufacturer = 9,815

not all may be adverse, but spend some time going through them.. some deaths in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT