crazy trade deadline.

Trae Turner/Max Scherzer to dodgers
Javy Baez to mets
Anthony Rizzo/Joey Gallo to yanks
Schwarber to red sox

tons more

rich get richer, will make for good playoffs as usual

assuming you're a cubs fan, Kris Bryant just got sent to SF

Remember when KB was entering the league and Boras had the gall to suggest they'd remember the Cubs for the way they slow played his entry to the bigs to help offset some sort of bonus he was to receive later? I do. I remember thinking, "Yeah right, like Boras is going to cut anyone any slack years later for a guy who may or may not even play out his contract with the team".

Lol. Guess that Cubs dynasty didn’t work out.
Maybe not but at least they finally won a WS. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to witness that, something that I didn’t think would happen in my lifetime.

And there’s the MLB notification. It was fun watching that core group grow & become a solid team but you knew it wouldn’t last forever. Especially with Rizzo, Baez, & Bryant being in their final year of their contracts.

Cubs played the deadline smart. Only a dumbass GM holds onto these guys through the end of the year with nothing to play for and their contracts running out. They pulled in a good prospect haul and can now tank the rest of the year for a high draft pick. Resign a couple of them in the winter. Hoyer didn't trade Contreras or Hendricks which says this isn't a long term rebuild.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Dodgers are the new Evil Empire. If they don't win a Series this year they never will at this rate.

Cubs played the deadline smart. Only a dumbass GM holds onto these guys through the end of the year with nothing to play for and their contracts running out. They pulled in a good prospect haul and can now tank the rest of the year for a high draft pick. Resign a couple of them in the winter. Hoyer didn't trade Contreras or Hendricks which says this isn't a long term rebuild.
Yeah, I can't stand the Cubs but completely agree with this. Here in Colorado, our interim GM is a perfect example of the "dumbass" you refer to above. He could have moved Jon Gray and Trevor Story for some legitimate prospects, but was too timid to pull the trigger. Had a couple of other tradeable assets who aren't worth a whole lot, but he sat on them too. But hey, we'll finish ahead of the Dbacks!

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Yeah, I can't stand the Cubs but completely agree with this. Here in Colorado, our interim GM is a perfect example of the "dumbass" you refer to above. He could have moved Jon Gray and Trevor Story for some legitimate prospects, but was too timid to pull the trigger. Had a couple of other tradeable assets who aren't worth a whole lot, but he sat on them too. But hey, we'll finish ahead of the Dbacks!
I have no sadness in the Cubs demise. But I hate that you guys just gutted your team. I know what that feels like as a fan. I'd rather they just build a team that can maintain that success. As a Reds fan, I would say the Cardinals have the best organization in the division. The Reds had that at one point in time.

Seeing Rizzo taking pictures in the Ivy yesterday was a kick in the nuts. They even had Kevin (his dog) roaming the outfield. Them he goes deep tonight for New York. The Ricketts family is the absolute worst

Paint this picture anyway you want, but going from WS to meltdown in 5 years is a Marlins-like level of failure in the massive Chicago market. Didn’t extend contracts at the right time for the right value, gutted the farm system, didn’t develop pitching, bad signings, wildly inconsistent, high strikeout ‘superstars’, etc… but hey, the bulllpen danced around like clowns and they wore pajamas on flights. This is a fun day for the rest of the NL Central. Fly the white flag.

Reactions: bigboxes
I have no sadness in the Cubs demise. But I hate that you guys just gutted your team. I know what that feels like as a fan. I'd rather they just build a team that can maintain that success. As a Reds fan, I would say the Cardinals have the best organization in the division. The Reds had that at one point in time.
It isn't gutting. It's accepting that you aren't winning jack squat this season and you need to build your minor league pipeline. The worst thing to be in professional sports is mediocre. You never get the draft picks you need to be good and will never win anything with what you have. They can resign 3/4 of those players if they want to in the offseason while they gain 2 high round draft picks and high-ceiling prospects in lower levels.

Paint this picture anyway you want, but going from WS to meltdown in 5 years is a Marlins-like level of failure in the massive Chicago market. Didn’t extend contracts at the right time for the right value, gutted the farm system, didn’t develop pitching, bad signings, wildly inconsistent, high strikeout ‘superstars’, etc… but hey, the bulllpen danced around like clowns and they wore pajamas on flights. This is a fun day for the rest of the NL Central. Fly the white flag.
I'm fine with the trade for Chapman for Gleyber Torres. The non-trade of Schwarber when his value was highest right after the WS, followed by the sickening trade of Eloy Jiminez and Dylan Cease for Jose Quintana was unacceptable. Those guys were right on the verge of stardom and that was just stupid. Schwarber could have been traded for Sale and that would have led to a second consecutive WS win.
They didn't trade either Contreras or Hendricks and that speaks volumes. Hoyer will very likely bring back at least 2 of the traded players in the offseason.
As a Cubs fan I was looking forward to today because it's the start of building a new WS team. It's starts in the minors.

Reactions: Lars72
It isn't gutting. It's accepting that you aren't winning jack squat this season and you need to build your minor league pipeline. The worst thing to be in professional sports is mediocre. You never get the draft picks you need to be good and will never win anything with what you have. They can resign 3/4 of those players if they want to in the offseason while they gain 2 high round draft picks and high-ceiling prospects in lower levels.

I'm not detached from reality. It is gutting your team. That means you'll tank from here on out. No fun in a rebuild. I get that it's a business decision. But it was a failure of the Cubs GM to let it get that way. Sucks for the fans. Hopefully, you can sign some of them back. I'd like to beat a competitive Cubs team.

Big fan here of the Eloy and Cease trade for Quintana in ‘17!!

Hoping Kimbrel and Tepera can shore up our pen. Not a good first look by Tepera tonight blowing a lead in the 8th.

ADVERTISEMENT